Klipsch Image X5 vs TripleFi 10?
Jan 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fenguin

New Head-Fier
From another thread, it looks like these two earphones are on sale at Amazon right now:

Klipsch Image X5 for $149

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 for $159

Which of these would you fine audiophiles recommend? I currently have a set of Altec Lansing UHP336s, which are rebranded super.fi 3s. I'm fond of the UHP336's fit & sound, but if either of the above would be a significant step up, I'd like to jump on it.

Music-wise, I'm pretty much all over the map. 1930's calypso to black metal, so I don't think that'll be much help in narrowing down choices.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 19
Both are a step up. The Triple Fi has been that price for about 2 months already. The X5 may go back to $249 real soon.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 19
Had both in the past. It depends on the type of sound you want. The X5 delivers a more neutral, balance, and accurate sound. They can seem bass light if you have never heard phones with similar sound signatures before. The TF10 will deliver a much warmer presentation with noticeably more bass impact which creates a slightly recessed midrange. The TF10 has a bigger soundstage, and I prefer the TF10's highs better. Both have great sound. The build on both is okay. The cable is thin on the X5 and there use to be a problem in the past of the stress relief splitting. Not sure if it is fixed, but I haven't seen any complaints about that issue in a while. The TF10 wire is stiffer and has an annoying memory wire ear guides when worn over-the-ear. I don't like either cable, but the TF10 is more durable. They both stick out a lot horizontally when worn. Comfort, fit, and isolation goes to the X5 hands down. Klipsch has the best tips I have ever tried. You can't wear the Klipsch X5 over-the-ear due to the angle of the stress relief, so they are more microphonic.

You can find the TF10 for an even lower price if you check eBay or the For Sale section. I have seen the X5 go for around $100-$130 in the past. Instead of the Klipsch X5, you should look into the HiFiMan RE0 for $80 on Head-Direct. Slightly lesser bass impact than the X5 and not as fast, but it offers the same neutral, accurate sound with better highs and extension. The RE0 also feels better built than both the X5 and TF10 in my opinion.

Both the TF10 and X5 are great, but it will come down to what sound you prefer.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TF10 wire is stiffer and has an annoying memory wire ear guides when worn over-the-ear.

They're annoying to some people but many find them useful when used for their intended purpose: to keep the cable contoured to your ear for a more comfortable and secure fit. I personally love the memory wire.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally love the memory wire.
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too- the SF3s have the same thing, I think, and while it was irritating at first, it seems to do a good job keeping them in place and reducing microphonics. I'm leaning towards the TF10s, since I know what the form factor & tips feel like; it's just that I'd like to step up the sound a bit from the SF3s.

I was considering the RE0s too, but I don't like how V-Modas feel, and it looks like they're based on that design.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 19
The TF10 is a huge step up from the SF3 Studio for sure.. I have both.

The thing is, even if the SF3, SF5 Pro, etc. fit your ear well it doesn't mean that the TF10 will. The SF5 Pro was my main IEM for awhile and when I upgraded to the TF10 I found that it didn't fit nearly as well, since the TF10 are so much more bulky than the SF5 Pro.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since the TF10 are so much more bulky than the SF5 Pro.

Thanks for the heads up. They look incredibly similar (A B) but after staring long enough I can see how the TF10s fatten up near the tip. They'd probably still fit OK, but it looks like I can't really take that for granted.

Right now I'm actually leaning towards the Klipsch X10s from Klipsch's eBay store for $156 shipped (after bing cashback). I like the idea of beefing up the bass a tad and the smaller form factor.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 19
i don't think you can go wrong with either phone. i have both and spend time with both daily. there are differences, the tf10 have more of a soundstage for two reasons: three drivers in each ear piece and the insertion point is further from the eardrum. the x5s are deep insertion so spacially they are in tight.
from a frequency point of view both are capable of full range with one exception, again three drivers means that complex musical passages are fully defined. the x5s in that regard might sound cloudy but only in direct comparision. i spend more time in the klipsch phones than any other simply because of the quality, isolation they give and ease of insertion and removal. the klipsch also seem very durable, after three months i see no splitting of the stress points and in fact i've even stepped on them with no damage. i doubt the tf10s would have held up. i'm not giving up the tf10s they do have many great qualities but for everyday all the time use i prefer the x5s.
i really can't say anything about the x10s because they won't be delivered to me till tomorrow. yep! i like klipsch. give you a quick impression thursday if you can stand the wait.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Yea both are going to be big improvements. Oh and if you do decide to get the Triple Fi's look around and see if the flip mod will help you in any way if you can't get them to fit right for you normally.

I ordered the Trips last week from Amazon so I'm hoping I can get a good, normal fit with them.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 19
The memory wire on the UE's often scare me. If you bend the cable at the point where the memory wire ends it feels like you'll damage the wire inside. Scary!

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 19
less microphonics and a user replaceable cable with the tf10. personally i was sick of high priced iems failing and getting a channel cut out leading me to buy another IEM.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 19
just a quick follow up. i got the x10s delivered today and was stunned by the size; actually lack of size. these are tiny iems. they don't seem to be as efficient as the x5s but are very close. low frequency is very much the same. treble is the same or very close but they are smooth up and down the range. clarity seems improved in the midrange. then again i've only had them a few hours and as we all know (or should know) the real test is over a period of day and weeks. based on initial listening this is something i will enjoy!

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for the update- I ended up going with the X10s. My SF3s fit fine, but after an hour or so, they sometimes start to get a little sore, so I'm hesitant to get the TF10s. I've got fairly small ear canals so I'm optimistic that they'll be a much better fit.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the update- I ended up going with the X10s. My SF3s fit fine, but after an hour or so, they sometimes start to get a little sore, so I'm hesitant to get the TF10s. I've got fairly small ear canals so I'm optimistic that they'll be a much better fit.

i prefer the double flange with both klipsch iems, shure foams also fit and give a slightly better isolation than the stock tips but not by much. comply also have tips that fit. i've found that any foams are more difficult to place properly and get out quickly. i rinse the silicone tips in hot water to keep them clean. as a rule these x5s, x10s are one of the most comfortable if you don't mind the depth, some do and some get used to it. those people that don't use iems (for that reason) prefer buds and full size cans. looking forward to your impresssions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back