Klipsch Image S4 / X5 vs Fischer Silver Bullet / DBA-02. Help me choose!
Sep 21, 2010 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

equivicae

New Head-Fier
I've been doing some research on IEMs and I am debating between 4 choices.

1) Klipsch Image S4. (70 bucks new)
2) Klipsch Image X5. (200 bucks new, might try to buy used.. these are a bit pricey for my liking.)

3) Fischer Silver Bullet. (70 bucks new)
4) Fischer DBA-02. (no idea, don't even know where to buy them.)

I have read good things about all these headphones, and I am mostly interested in either the X5 or the silver bullet.  I do not own a good set of IEMs so I do not have anything to compare them to.  My budget is around $80 - $150.

I am looking for a pair that provides a full, wide, warm and complete sound.  I want a bass that isn't overpowering, but perhaps "tight" and deep.  As far as my headphone experience goes, I have used QC2 and Ultrasone proline 650s.   Mids and highs are important as well.

I also want a pair that delivers high isolation, with low sound leakage.  I ride the bus everyday, and I want to be able to listen to my music as loudly as possible without disturbing anyone else.  I mostly listen to hip hop/trance/techno/metal, and everything in between.  I don't want weird looks from people while I blast trance and it goes "BUMP BUMPB BUMP BUMP".  Sound leakage of bass is what I am most worried about.

Comfort and durability are also of extreme importance.  I will be wearing these the majority of the day.  I also would like to be able to bike with these headphones in, so a pair that works well with sweat/jumping around would be better.  They also will need to fit under my bike helmet.

I will also not be using an amp.  I do like my music loud, so sound impedence is important.  I have a Sansa fuze with high quality compressed VBR (mostly V0).

Any thoughts ?  Any other recommendations (eterna, others, etc) are welcome.  Thanks!

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 12
I personally own the S4 and really like them.  They are a bit bass heavy once you get a good seal.  I am still tweaking the EQ on my sansa but I love having the bass there if I want it.  From the reviews I have read, the SB is a fantastic set though.  Personally, I want to try the Panasonic HJE900 next. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 12
oh, and they seat deeper than what I am used to, but the difference in sound is worth it.  The body is so small and the set itself is light enough that it is still a comfy fit for me.  Just be sure you have the cable secured if you are doing anything active.  I didnt run it under my shirt when I was moving boxes at work and the cable caught a box and it really pulled on my ear.  didnt feel good.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 12
DBA is not colored warm, X5 overpriced IMO, should be <$80 for the sound it produces.  Cross both off.  I would go for SB's if I were you.  I would also say the Sunrise Xcape seems to fit your bill as well.  Its warmish and has a perfectly balanced signature, comfortable and isolates well for the design.  Not Klipsch or Ety isolation though as nothing is in that price range.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Excellent!  Yeah, the X5s seemed to be better, and received better than the S4s... but by 2x? I don't know.

And perhaps I don't fully understand the sound term of 'warm', could someone explain this to me better?  Like, would one classify Bose QC2 as, warm?  

Are the silver bullets pretty durable compared to Klipsch S4?  Are they low enough profile (SB) to most likely fit under my helmet? Is the isolation good?

I will look into Sunrise Xcape.  I don't care *that* much about noise leakage... just, I am coming from using Sennheiser PX100, which are great headphones, but pretty much advertise to everyone on the bus who I am listening to.

I am pretty much debating between Klipsch S4 and Fischer silver bullets.  thanks for all your help so far!

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Anaxilus , you can honestly say that the Klispch X'5's don't sound like they're worth more than $80? You are doing the OP a disservice.
My recommendation equivicae, find somewhere with a good return policy, get the X5's, and then write me back that you don't love them. They're incredible. Everything you said you wanted in an IEM. They can be found for as low as $120-140 on sale, which makes them a great value.

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 12
SBs have good isolation and will sure fit under your helmet, but they are not that durable. SB v2 might improve durability but you'll have to to wait a bit for them to be released.

Aznycans, i sure hope you have tried more IEMs than Anaxilus to make such an assessment.Sure they might be great for you but the more IEMs you've tried in this or higher ranges the more you know in regards to what does what....

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
SBs have good isolation and will sure fit under your helmet, but they are not that durable. SB v2 might improve durability but you'll have to to wait a bit for them to be released.

SB v2 were released some time ago, at least they are available in russian stores
smily_headphones1.gif

There is no version number in prices though, it was kinda silent replacement of v1 by v2. And cable still lacks a proper strain relief.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Anaxilus , you can honestly say that the Klispch X'5's don't sound like they're worth more than $80? You are doing the OP a disservice.

Yes.  The $80 IEM market is fierce w/ strong competitors that many would find better than the X5.  I don't mind mentioning it though because i can see someone preferring that signature like someone would prefer the MC5 for example.  Personally myself I find the Xcape, MC5, HJE900, RE0 better alternatives.  The X5 was a nice neutral, balanced llisten in its own right, but against the others was darker and more veiled to my ears.  YMMV.  

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
tried the s4 and i REALLY don't like the sound
seems very muddy compared to my m6--hopefully the DBA2's don't sound like that
no amp and using my iphone 4

Mud you ask?  Imagine a crystal clear lake in an untouched hidden forest.  You gaze into the lake and see trout staring back at you w/ their scales shining in full splendor under the midday sun.  That's listening to the DBAs.  Even those that don't like the DBA can agree to that.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 12
I have not heard any of the others on the list, but since I am trying out a pair of S4s right now I'll chime in on those. Isolation is good (with the right fit obviously). Comfort is so-so for me, it's perfectly acceptable for a couple of hours but after that they start to get uncomfortable imo. The sound is very nice overall, good clarity in the mids/highs. The bass is tight but it doesn't get low like I prefer. I like to feel enveloped by the bass and the S4s just don't do it for me. As such I am looking to upgrade to different phones.

So to sum up, comfort may be an issue if you want to listen for extended periods of time (i.e., more than a few hours in one sitting), and if you want a deep, enveloping, subwooferesque (yes I totally made that word up 
tongue_smile.gif
) bass I don't believe the S4s deliver. Other than that I can't knock the S4s, they deliver a very clear and tight sound to my ear.

Disclaimer: this is all of course my opinion and I by no means an IEM expert, I just like my music 
smile_phones.gif
 YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back