Klipsch Image S4 Appreciation Thread
Jul 21, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #31 of 59

Quote:
Hi,

Please forgive me for resurrecting such an old "dead" thread here. But after reading some of the comments (especially the first few in this thread), does anyone recommend the Sony Hybrid tips for use with the S4's? My main goal right now is to mask (or eliminate) the harsh sibilance.

Thanks
cool.gif

Sony Hybrids seem to seal well with most people.  I don't own S4s, so I wouldn't know if they fit.  If they do, it's definitely worth a try.  I've also heard that the sibilance goes away with burn in/use.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #32 of 59
Thanks. I'll continue to burn them in with that in mind, and might also try the Hybrids, as well
cool.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #34 of 59

Quote:
Hi,

Please forgive me for resurrecting such an old "dead" thread here. But after reading some of the comments (especially the first few in this thread), does anyone recommend the Sony Hybrid tips for use with the S4's? My main goal right now is to mask (or eliminate) the harsh sibilance.

Thanks
cool.gif

You should get the Shure black foamies. They will darken up any IEM quite a lot! I never use them because they reduce the upper range too much but seeing that is your aim, they would be perfect. They last FOREVER too. I had used just one pair for nearly a year!!!

The other thing is, you can burn them in with music or burn-in noise for ~25hours, the harsh upper range will just disappear!

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #35 of 59
OK, cool. Thanks navmau, appreciate it much. I'll have to check out those Shure tips!! Does anyone know of a price range, or where I can get them (preferably medium-sized)?

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #36 of 59
I have had the S4's but the problem with them I found was the ultra thin cable.  This eventually caused my IEM death.  I do have to say that these were some comfortable phones.  I really love the oval tips.  For the price I think this has everything in that range beat.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #37 of 59

Quote:
OK, cool. Thanks navmau, appreciate it much. I'll have to check out those Shure tips!! Does anyone know of a price range, or where I can get them (preferably medium-sized)?

They are $20 for 5 pairs. Like I said, if you use them well and keep them clean (wipe damp paper towel), they should last 6-12 months EACH pair!

You can get them on ebay. Compared to Australia, they are available at every convenience store, ok maybe every 2nd store LOL

Maybe check out ebay and soundearphones.com

UPDATE:  All this talk of the Shure foamies, I just pulled out my pair for FOUR YEARS ago. They already have about 6 months of use on them and I cleaned them and put them away as I changed over to the Klipsch eargels. I can't believe it, I just poped them on my Atrio's and they are working perfectly. They expand really, really slowly even after 6 months of use and four years of storage!

I can't believe how well they are isolating. I can't hear any keyboard noise as I type this, any silicon tip lets a tiny bit of noise through. Just Amazing!

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #38 of 59

Quote:

They are $20 for 5 pairs. Like I said, if you use them well and keep them clean (wipe damp paper towel), they should last 6-12 months EACH pair!

You can get them on ebay. Compared to Australia, they are available at every convenience store, ok maybe every 2nd store LOL

Maybe check out ebay and soundearphones.com

UPDATE:  All this talk of the Shure foamies, I just pulled out my pair for FOUR YEARS ago. They already have about 6 months of use on them and I cleaned them and put them away as I changed over to the Klipsch eargels. I can't believe it, I just poped them on my Atrio's and they are working perfectly. They expand really, really slowly even after 6 months of use and four years of storage!

I can't believe how well they are isolating. I can't hear any keyboard noise as I type this, any silicon tip lets a tiny bit of noise through. Just Amazing!

So, just out of curiosity, I see you had elected to use the Klipsch Eargels as opposed to the Foamies for a particular time frame (with your Atrio's). Is there a particular benefit you find with the Eargels that you did not experience with the Foamies? And if so, do you think the Eargels would work well for me with my S4's? Or should I just stick with the Foamies (or Hybrids), instead?

Thanks
cool.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #39 of 59
Hello, I'm a longtime lurker and n00b...

I've had  these for about 1 1/2 months and they sound great with my J3! Initially I bought these & Dre Tour iems 2 months ago for my iPhone 4. After listening to both I thought the S4's sounded better but i wasn't convinced of the sound & returned both sets. Later, after I purchased the J3 and read that the S4's have to be "burned in", I bought some more and burned them in for about 48hrs. Since then, I can't believe I took them back the first time!

I was listening to Radiohead's "Hail To The Thief" album in FLAC the other day, and was amazed at how good it sounded.

Thanks to all of you, for you posts in various threads, I've read, and learned a TON in the last 2 months!

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #40 of 59
Glad to hear that, thanks for sharing! As a matter of fact I am in the process of still burning my pair in as I type this. I am already up to over 180 hours, using a mixture of both music and pink noise.

Despite all of the controversy about burn-in, I can only say good things about it (from my own experiences with it). So give those S4's some more time, and I believe they will sound even better (whether you specifically "burn them in", OR just use them as you normally would --- cause over time the same thing will happen to them, anyway)
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #41 of 59
I have some S4's and thought the hybrids worked very well with them. The only issue I had was that they don't pop on to the nozzle very tight, so you have to be careful when pulling them out or they'd fall off or pop out in your ear. They sounded and sealed great though!

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #42 of 59
I am having trouble using the S4i with my PC, I can only hear faint sound with hiss on the highs.  Works perfectly on the iphone, ipod, and macbook.  Would the Fiio LU1 solve this problem? It reverses the last two pins on the headphone jack, mic & ground. Or would an adaptor that splits into two jacks, one for mic & one for headphones, work?

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #44 of 59
Just bought these today and Im really glad I did. The S4 is probably the best sounding IEM under 100$ I've heard so far and it blows my previous Shure SE210 out of the water. I find this IEM to be very detailed, with good bass, rich mids and a very detailed treble. The only flaw that I spotted in SQ is the lack of low bass frequencies. The bass in some of my songs were cut off when they went too low (15-30 hertz). Also, the silicon tips took some time to get used to and the noise isolation isn't that great. Overall, its still probably one of the best purchases I've made in terms of price/performance in a long time. Would recommend this product for people who like detailed and clear sounding IEM with good mid bass.

EDIT: I forgot to mention about the soundstage. These IEM has a decent soundstage however, it can't and never will beat headphones. I am able to separate instruments only in 2D (left, right) and can't separate depth unlike some of my headphones. Maybe I'm used to hearing the wide soundstage of the HD 800 that I am not able to differentiate subtle difference in depth. 
confused_face.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #45 of 59
Had I known about these headphones, I wouldn't have bought the Polk Audio Ultrafit 1000 :frowning2: :frowning2:....
These would have only cost me about $5 more. If the Polk still doesn't work well after the burn in, I will just sell them on eBay and buy the Klipsch.

btw, ddr, is what you're describing happen with other headphones?
Whether you split it or not, its not going to make a difference. I've used something like that with and without the splitter and the sound quality was exactly the same on my PC (I used it mainly for gaming) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back