Klipsch image one on-ear mini-review
Nov 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #16 of 126

Quote:
How would these compare to M50's?

I'm looking for my first headset and i'm wondering if i should go with the M50's or these...

I'm mostly going to be listening to music and gaming, so sound stage is of importance.

okay, first we need to make the distinction between headset and headphone....headsets have a integrated mic, headphones don't (though you can attach a 3rd party mic) anywho, the M50 has a very small soundstage so they aren;t great for gaming but they're one of the best "portable" closed cans for the price. The klipsch on ear has a integrated mic w/ volume controls, but for $50 more, and it happens to be a closed can as well. so you have two choices, do you put games over music or music over games, if you choose the first, open cans are your best bet. if the latter, closed or open will be fine.

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 126

Quote:
Quote:

I'm looking for my first headset and i'm wondering if i should go with the M50's or these...

I'm mostly going to be listening to music and gaming, so sound stage is of importance.

okay, first we need to make the distinction between headset and headphone....headsets have a integrated mic, headphones don't (though you can attach a 3rd party mic) anywho, the M50 has a very small soundstage so they aren;t great for gaming but they're one of the best "portable" closed cans for the price. The klipsch on ear has a integrated mic w/ volume controls, but for $50 more, and it happens to be a closed can as well. so you have two choices, do you put games over music or music over games, if you choose the first, open cans are your best bet. if the latter, closed or open will be fine.

Sorry i didn't know if i should say headset or headphone because the Image ONE has a mic xD.

And yes, i understand that the M50's have a small soundstage compared to the AD700's, but i rather take bass with a medium soundstage, than no bass with a huge sound stage.

Additionally, i'm going to be using the headphone/set i buy, with Dolby headphone audio processing, so that (should) expand the sound stage.

I'm just interested how the Image ONE's SQ and Soundstage compare to the M50's. Seeing as how they are both extremely comfortable and portable.

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 126

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry i didn't know if i should say headset or headphone because the Image ONE has a mic xD.

And yes, i understand that the M50's have a small soundstage compared to the AD700's, but i rather take bass with a medium soundstage, than no bass with a huge sound stage.

Additionally, i'm going to be using the headphone/set i buy, with Dolby headphone audio processing, so that (should) expand the sound stage.

I'm just interested how the Image ONE's SQ and Soundstage compare to the M50's. Seeing as how they are both extremely comfortable and portable.

eh....the M50 has either a 10ft cord or a 4 ft long telephone cord, I had one, lugged it around for about two months and grew sick of it in the end.

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #19 of 126

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

eh....the M50 has either a 10ft cord or a 4 ft long telephone cord, I had one, lugged it around for about two months and grew sick of it in the end.

I'm not too worried about the cord, the headphones will mostly be for home use.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 126

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well, the klipsch supposedly sound even better than the HD25-1 II and the M50's are praised for being one of the finest closed cans ever made, unless more reviews pop up for the klipsch stating otherwise, i don't think you could go wrong with either, actually, do you want on ear phones or full sized cans? i think that;s a good discerning point between the two

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 126

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well, the klipsch supposedly sound even better than the HD25-1 II and the M50's are praised for being one of the finest closed cans ever made, unless more reviews pop up for the klipsch stating otherwise, i don't think you could go wrong with either, actually, do you want on ear phones or full sized cans? i think that;s a good discerning point between the two

I could really care less about Circumaural vs Supra-aural.
I just want to know which has better Soundstage and bass lol :D

I guess ill just have to wait for reviews :[

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 126

Quote:
Out of these 3 which has more bass and less sibilance?
The b&w p5
The klipsch image one
Or the m50

I only have the P5 and the M50, and I can say that the M50 has deeper more extended bass (the P5 is more mid-bassy, and mid focused) but the M50 can sound more fatiguing than the P5 - not necessarily a sibilance issue but easily more emphasis on the highs.

The P5's sound like a typical dark/warm signature, but with a bit of a peak in some treble regions so that detail still stands out.

Overall I'd say the M50 is definitely the better phone in terms of sound, and this isn't even taking into account the massive price difference between the two.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #25 of 126

Quote:
Out of these 3 which has more bass and less sibilance?
The b&w p5
The klipsch image one
Or the m50

I have the Image One and the M50, and the Klipsch has more bass quantity than the M50.  The M50s bass is a bit more refined and tighter though, but I wouldn't call the Klipsch sloppy or muddy at all.  Regarding sibilance, I did not hear any sibilance with the Image One, it has a really non-fatiguing sound. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #28 of 126
Hey there, first post here. I thought I'd chime in since I got the Image ONEs a few days ago. I haven't picked an amp yet, so my opinions are based on the output of the iPod and iPhone.

Anyway, I found that compared to the RE0 IEMs (my only decent reference at this point) the ONEs don't seem to have the same high-end extension. The detail is there, with no sibilance, but it doesn't have the same neverending treble. Midrange sounds good to my ears, but it occasionally gets hidden on the bottom end by what I consider to be way too much bass for "analytical" listening. An example is on the Dallas Wind Symphony's Strictly Sousa album - the bass drum is just overpowering and not true-to-life at all. Mind you, it's good quality bass, but just too much for my taste on that type of music. I listened to some Steely Dan, Seether, Metallica, and AC/DC also, and had the same issue.

On the fun side, though, rap, dance, electronic, etc. all sound really great. I tried some rap with tones in the 30 Hz range and it was loud and clear with no distortion. A test tone at 20 Hz played perfectly through the iPhone, also. They add some nice extra bottom end to piano, acoustic guitar, and vocal music, too. I listen to a lot of Mapleshade stuff, and Tao Ruspoli's Flamenco is WAY more fun to listen to than on the RE0s. Another good one is the ARC Choir's Walk With Me. The clapping, feet stomping, and deep bass voices are just flat out more interesting. These albums sound "accurate" on the RE0s, but aren't near as nice to listen to.

Isolation is probably good for airplane or car noise, but you can still hear things like people talking pretty clearly. They just cover my ears, also, and I'm probably average to big in the ear department. Other than a really quiet environment, people around you probably won't hear anything, either.

I personally think they're worth every penny, and I enjoy the microphone and the case that holds my iPod, RE0s, and probably an amp, too. They also come with a 1/8"-1/4" adapter and an airline adapter (I was REALLY glad to see that). I like that I can skip forward and back with the remote, also.

Hopefully this will help out anybody that's just getting into this stuff (like myself). I'm still reading a lot, and trying to make a logical progression through my equipment. The Image ONEs do a lot of things well at their price point and include some nice accessories, so I'm happy with them. I can't see buying anything else in this price range, and my next upgrade will probably be in the neighborhood of the HD 650s or something similar.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #29 of 126

Quote:
how do the highs of the 2 compare? ^^^

The Image One's highs are rolled off compared to the M50.  Depending on how you like your highs, this could be either good or bad (couldn't detect any sibilance with the Klipsch).  Another thing is that the M50 gets substantially louder (and without distortion) than the Image One out of a portable player and my Macbook Pro, which is odd considering the sensitivity ratings of both cans (99db vs 110db).  

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #30 of 126
well I was going to get the image one from the suggestions ^^ but its dual corded!!!! I can't stand it :frowning2: so I went for the B&w p5's got them for $220 ;b cant wait to get them :D Also material wise the b&w's are stronger and more expensive in the long run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back