Klipsch Image One. Any way to bypass iPod functionality?
Jun 12, 2011 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cam94z28

100+ Head-Fier
I listened to these today at Best Buy through my S:Flo2, and was blown away. Bass was up there with my XB500's, but cleaner.
There is only one problem. In order to not hear what I can only describe as Karaoke mode (faint sounds, voices muted), I had to hold in the center button permanently on the inline iPod/iPhone control. After listening, I had a round imprint on my thumb for 45 minutes :p

They are unlistenable without the button pushed in. My Fuze will play them fine, but not my S:Flo2. I am interested in buying these, but I'm not about to re-cable them. Is there any way (a plugin adapter or something) to bypass the iPod module so that I don't have to hold the button down?

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Get something like a cheap Y-splitter or a short extension cable.  Can't think of anything else that'd do it.

I'm not sure a Y-Splitter would solve the problem. I think they would need something that would cover the 3rd ring on the plug, or an adapter that would somehow disable it. I emailed Klipsch, we'll see what they say. I guess a better question would be, what would have a similar sound signature for around half the price (under $100 will do). What I like in particular is their ability to play very deep, punchy, impactful, fun bass, even at low volumes.

That said, amazon has them for $127.94 at the moment. That's cheaper than I've ever seen them on sale at Best Buy. Still, they're useless to me if I can't solve this problem without recabling. I guess the Phiaton MS400's are another option. They appear to be identical clones. They'll probably sound even better, but are A LOT more than I wanted to spend.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi,
did you find a way to resole this?
i am having a similar problem, they work fine in an iPhone but are faint in an Archos internet tablet (although my son says they worked fine yesterday).
the only way to hear full sound is to hold down the middle button n the inline remote.
I really want to fix this as they are otherwise terrific headphones.
cheers
ian

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 6
Nope, I really wanted these headphones, but I passed because of this issue. I didn't want to have to epoxy the button down, or butcher them trying my first ever recabling, and make them unusable/void the warranty. 

If you happen to have a headphone amp laying around, you may want to put that between your source and the headphones, and see if it somehow bypasses it. 

The Phiaton MS300 or MS400 (larger cups), are a very similar design to the Klipsch, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a similar sound. These do not have an inline mic at all, nor are they as affordable. They run either $189, or $229 street price, respectively, at the moment.  I almost bought the MS300's, but passed in the end. Either of these would arguably sound better than the Klipsch Image One, or even the new Reference One. They have double-walled Carbon Fiber housings, and seem to use better quality drivers, compared to the Klipsch.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I guess a better question would be, what would have a similar sound signature for around half the price (under $100 will do). What I like in particular is their ability to play very deep, punchy, impactful, fun bass, even at low volumes.

You could try the Crossfade LP or the MDR-XB500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back