Klipsch HP-3
May 3, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #106 of 621
From my understanding, 'neutral' sounding headphones used to refer to headphones having a 'flat' frequency response - in the sense that no one frequency is louder or lesser than the rest of the spectrum. This is generally ideal for studio monitoring headphones, but can sound "boring" or "lacks excitement" from a pure listening perspective.

I think this term is overly used to the point that it's meaning has changed from person to person - but I could be wrong about that.
Just like my DT880 250ohm. Everything sounds fine without one overtaking the other of the spectrum. Depending on content it sounds very good, not boring at all or lacking excitement.

I think it's overly used indeed.

May 12, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #107 of 621
So this is an FYI to anyone interested in these. It looks like these headphones are being discontinued (yeah, I know the timing is terrible as far as general financial stability). They are no longer listed for sale on Klipsch's site and on all the other online retailers I could find, they are either listed as discontinued, out of stock, or clearance. They are on sale (clearance) for $699 (42% off) right now on Adorama and I pulled the trigger on it last night... (this is the most that I ever spent on a single piece of audio equipment :grimacing:). Just the oak color, unfortunately (I prefer the ebony), but these seem like I would enjoy the sound signature so I picked up a pair because I think I would be kicking myself later if I didn't. Here is the link, if you are interested.

Stay safe and happy listening, everyone! :o2smile:

May 12, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #108 of 621
So this is an FYI to anyone interested in these. It looks like these headphones are being discontinued (yeah, I know the timing is terrible as far as general financial stability). They are no longer listed for sale on Klipsch's site and on all the other online retailers I could find, they are either listed as discontinued, out of stock, or clearance. They are on sale (clearance) for $699 (42% off) right now on Adorama and I pulled the trigger on it last night... (this is the most that I ever spent on a single piece of audio equipment :grimacing:). Just the oak color, unfortunately (I prefer the ebony), but these seem like I would enjoy the sound signature so I picked up a pair because I think I would be kicking myself later if I didn't. Here is the link, if you are interested.

Stay safe and happy listening, everyone! :o2smile:
Yep, the Heritage amp was the first to be discontinued. Now a week later, the HP-3’s are gone. I kind of wish I had gotten the amp to go with my HP-3’s. It’s going to be dang near impossible to find one now. At least, I have the HP-3’s...

May 12, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #109 of 621
Yep, the Heritage amp was the first to be discontinued. Now a week later, the HP-3’s are gone. I kind of wish I had gotten the amp to go with my HP-3’s. It’s going to be dang near impossible to find one now. At least, I have the HP-3’s...
Discontinued because of pandemic situation?

The amp looks damn nice with the HP-3. Too bad no amp ebony to with it with the HP-3 ebony. Sometimes the eyes wants to see something really good.

May 12, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #110 of 621
Discontinued because of pandemic situation?

It might be a factor but I doubt that's the main cause. More likely, they didn't sell enough of either to justify their existence. I think what we are seeing now is the last stock they made of the initial run. If you have a lot of slowly selling inventory sitting on hand, that cash that's sitting there, tied up. And since they are set up to make speakers, not headphones, they can't do smaller, more economical runs in-house. They probably have to have large minimum orders they have to do through 3rd party manufacturers for the both the amp and headphones. But I'm just speculating based on my experience with the company I work for.

May 12, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #111 of 621
It might be a factor but I doubt that's the main cause. More likely, they didn't sell enough of either to justify their existence. I think what we are seeing now is the last stock they made of the initial run. If you have a lot of slowly selling inventory sitting on hand, that cash that's sitting there, tied up. And since they are set up to make speakers, not headphones, they can't do smaller, more economical runs in-house. They probably have to have large minimum orders they have to do through 3rd party manufacturers for the both the amp and headphones. But I'm just speculating based on my experience with the company I work for.
That might be one of the reasons indeed. Klipsch is mostly known for speakers. It sucks though to be honest, I doubt it too if it's the pandemic as other manufacturers are still selling as usual without a delay. (Except the delivery)

May 12, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #112 of 621
Without a doubt the pandemic was a significant factor. Had the world economy been stable Klipsch would have been able to anticipate the remaining inventory moving at a reasonable rate. With the pandemic rewriting economic history on the fly companies don't know what to expect and do not want to take a chance carrying any inventory that they don't have to so sell now. This is a buyers market but ironically it comes at the worst possible time for many buyers. Congratulations for those picking up these fabulous headphones for such a wonderful price. They will regain and hold their value in the coming years. Quality never goes out of style.

May 12, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #113 of 621
Without a doubt the pandemic was a significant factor. Had the world economy been stable Klipsch would have been able to anticipate the remaining inventory moving at a reasonable rate. With the pandemic rewriting economic history on the fly companies don't know what to expect and do not want to take a chance carrying any inventory that they don't have to so sell now. This is a buyers market but ironically it comes at the worst possible time for many buyers. Congratulations for those picking up these fabulous headphones for such a wonderful price. They will regain and hold their value in the coming years. Quality never goes out of style.

That's a good point, I didn't think about it like that. And if that's the case, maybe they might bring back the HP-3 or there will be a HP-4 someday once things stabilize if the line was profitable for them.

And who knows? Maybe there is another major factor to it that we just don't know about.

But regardless, a surprising majority of people that have heard it seem usually passionate about this headphone so I'm excited to hear it (and see it!) for myself. I just got the shipping email, so let the countdown commence! :o2smile:

May 13, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #116 of 621
hese are one of the most musically enjoyable headphones out at the moment. The have a warmth to their sound that just works for a lot of different genres. The others in my opinion that fall into this musically, warm sound are the ZMF Auteurs, Acoustic Research AR-H1's,
@Slim1970 have you compared AR-H1 to HP3?
I'm looking for a low impedance HP to pair with daps that deliver 500÷700mW (32ohm) in balanced mode.
I consider also Fostex TH-909, any comparison?

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #117 of 621
@Slim1970 have you compared AR-H1 to HP3?
I'm looking for a low impedance HP to pair with daps that deliver 500÷700mW (32ohm) in balanced mode.
I consider also Fostex TH-909, any comparison?
I have, as I use to own the AR-H1’s. Unfortunately, both are discontinued. The AR-H1’s are harder to find as they’ve been out of commission a lot longer.

As far sound signature, the AR-H1’s are very good. They’re just as balanced sounding as the HP-3’s. The HP-3’s just offer more of what the AR-H1’s can do. The HP-3’s has a better bass response, smoother mids, better treble and build. At the $699 price point the HP-3’s are a steal and recommended over the AR-H1’s. The HP-3’s also sound better at lower volume and they are easier to drive.

May 13, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #118 of 621
Hello,
I join this group because I also ordered these headphones, from Italy, walnut color.
I currently use a Fiio m15 as a DAC and I have an IFI Ican 2 pro external amplifier.
Now I'm looking for an XLR balanced cable for these headphones.
Do you have any suggestions, possibly in the EU?

May 13, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #119 of 621
At the $699 price point the HP-3’s are a steal and recommended over the AR-H1’s. The HP-3’s also sound better at lower volume and they are easier to drive.

Ok maybe i'll go with HP3, 600mW is enough to enjoy it?
I've seen also heritage dac/amp, is good eough for HP3?

May 13, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #120 of 621
Ok maybe i'll go with HP3, 600mW is enough to enjoy it?
I've seen also heritage dac/amp, is good eough for HP3?
600mW is more than enough power to drive the HP-3’s. It’s not picky about amps at all. Just about any portable amp can drive it. The Heritage amp was discontinued last week. I can’t find it in stock online anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back