Klipsch HP-3
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #616 of 621
Apr 14, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #617 of 621
Unfortunate news on my end. Not sure what to do here so looking for help. The fabric underneath the top of the headband has all come away, looks like the glue is gone. Not a functional issue but I'd still rather fix it since I plan to try and resell these in a year or so. I tried to just poke it back under but it won't stay, even with glue, and thats about as far as I will go without risking damaging it.

IMG_20240415_000547668.jpg

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #618 of 621
Unfortunate news on my end. Not sure what to do here so looking for help. The fabric underneath the top of the headband has all come away, looks like the glue is gone. Not a functional issue but I'd still rather fix it since I plan to try and resell these in a year or so. I tried to just poke it back under but it won't stay, even with glue, and thats about as far as I will go without risking damaging it.
That's really unfortunate that they didn't sew it as those stitches on top would suggest. :triportsad:

But, I think if you get the right glue you should be able to fix it. I don't know what kind of glue you have tried already, but getting glue that works on fabric/leather can be tricky since it needs to bond fibers and smooth surfaces while also being flexible. However, I have repaired a bunch of different ear pads (like the Hifiman ones that are glued to plastic rings) with Loctite Fabric glue. Even though the glue area is small and it's under tension from the foam in the pads I repaired, it's worked great as long as I held it in place until the glue cured. (https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/...tite_vinyl_fabricplasticflexibleadhesive.html). However, I'm not 100% sure it's available in the UK. If that's the glue that you tried and it didn't work, that's about the extent of my repair ideas short of full reupholstering since any sort of sewing repair is going to be visible.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #619 of 621
That's really unfortunate that they didn't sew it as those stitches on top would suggest. :triportsad:

But, I think if you get the right glue you should be able to fix it. I don't know what kind of glue you have tried already, but getting glue that works on fabric/leather can be tricky since it needs to bond fibers and smooth surfaces while also being flexible. However, I have repaired a bunch of different ear pads (like the Hifiman ones that are glued to plastic rings) with Loctite Fabric glue. Even though the glue area is small and it's under tension from the foam in the pads I repaired, it's worked great as long as I held it in place until the glue cured. (https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/...tite_vinyl_fabricplasticflexibleadhesive.html). However, I'm not 100% sure it's available in the UK. If that's the glue that you tried and it didn't work, that's about the extent of my repair ideas short of full reupholstering since any sort of sewing repair is going to be visible.
When you say held in place, what position? The headband bends a lot between "on my head" and "on the stand"

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #620 of 621
When you say held in place, what position? The headband bends a lot between "on my head" and "on the stand"
Hmm... that's a good question. If it were me, I would probably try doing it in a resting position first (not on a stand or stretched like when it's on a head) and use tape to hold the leather in place until it cures. However, if that's what you already tried the first time gluing, I could see the reasoning for doing it stretched out like it's on a head since you would be gluing it at a more more stretched state might make it less likely for the glue to come undone. I'm not sure which would be optimal in this situation.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #621 of 621
I'll just try both I guess. Not like I can ruin it much further. Again, just like you, really disappointed to see if just glued in place originally, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back