Klipsch HP-3
Nov 26, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #511 of 621
Maybe I'm ressurrecting an old topic but that's what I thought after listening through my first 1k cans Clear MGs. :smile:
Anyway, when a pair of wild HP-3 appeared on Amazon (Turkey) I ordered. I hope I don't regret them. Not that I regretted buying Clears. If anything, it is now more obvious I need muliple pairs.
Nope, in this world of audio age means jack. The HP-3 still stays one of the most wonderful headphones out there and it's getting more rare now. And if they are still available to buy new, they are mostly above €1000. I got kinda 'lucky' to buy mine for €1100 and €25 shipping. The shipping fees is because of the very big box. Still a hefty amount of money but the sound and design makes it worth. Make sure to get used to the new sound first because your brain has to get used first as the sound may be unpleasant at first. It takes some time.

The HP-3 is a pretty nice headphone and if you didn't pay a ridiculous sum I would be surprised if you regret the purchase. I wish that I had been able to afford to keep my HP-3 but sadly I had to sell them. I certainly regret selling them.
I remember you mentioned that. Very sorry to hear that. I do perfectly understand in what sh***ty times we live due to this pandemic bs and in the Netherlands it has gone worse. Hopefully you'll be able to re-buy the HP-3 someday.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #512 of 621
Nope, in this world of audio age means jack. The HP-3 still stays one of the most wonderful headphones out there and it's getting more rare now. And if they are still available to buy new, they are mostly above €1000. I got kinda 'lucky' to buy mine for €1100 and €25 shipping. The shipping fees is because of the very big box. Still a hefty amount of money but the sound and design makes it worth. Make sure to get used to the new sound first because your brain has to get used first as the sound may be unpleasant at first. It takes some time.

I remember you mentioned that. Very sorry to hear that. I do perfectly understand in what sh***ty times we live due to this pandemic bs. Hopefully you'll be able to re-buy the HP-3 someday.
Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment. That is kind of you. I actually could re-purchase a very immaculate set through a good friend, but ironically now that I am working in a career that I went back to university to prepare for (third career) even though in theory I am earning more than I have ever before, I still find with the cost of living having gone through the roof I feel unable to invest so much in a headphone, despite really wanting to. The HP-3 would certainly be a worthy headphone to re-acquire no doubt. Beyond their sonic attributes I find it a beautiful headphone, a piece of audio art. Who knows?

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #513 of 621
Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment. That is kind of you. I actually could re-purchase a very immaculate set through a good friend, but ironically now that I am working in a career that I went back to university to prepare for (third career) even though in theory I am earning more than I have ever before, I still find with the cost of living having gone through the roof I feel unable to invest so much in a headphone, despite really wanting to. The HP-3 would certainly be a worthy headphone to re-acquire no doubt. Beyond their sonic attributes I find it a beautiful headphone, a piece of audio art. Who knows?
I know exactly the feelings and been there and still there sometimes. I did sell some of my headphones and only those that weren't my most favorite. And yep...we can totally relate to that crap regarding the cost of living like increasing energy prices, food, items gets absurd prices each year and prices are artificially jacked up because "shortages".

The HP-3 is the state of the art. It's without a doubt one of the most unique looking pretty thing with unique features like the magnetic removable to disks to play with earpads for example. Walnut is the most sexy.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #514 of 621
My pair arrived today.

I was glad the one I found was ebony but now that is on my wallnut desk, oh well...
I don't want to comment on them hastily, but so far they didn't offended me unless I crank up the volume too high. So I guess I'm safe in treble zone.

About the comfort, as soon as I put them on, headband started to hurt the top of my head. I had a headband pad made for hd 280 pros that I used on superlux 688Bs. Now I put them on HP-3s, It is fine for now.

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #515 of 621
I got a pair of these (ebony) in a few days ago. These might be my new favorite headphone. beyond the tonal balance, these just manage a lush, warm sweetness. it's like a classic normal rockwell homecoming for the holidays. The promise of family and a warm fire visible through the windows as you pull up to your parent's snow laden farmhouse in upstate new york.

unrelated, I've been told to use "the second set of rings" to mount another set of pads. is it possible to do that without ruining the stock pads?

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #516 of 621
I got a pair of these (ebony) in a few days ago. These might be my new favorite headphone. beyond the tonal balance, these just manage a lush, warm sweetness. it's like a classic normal rockwell homecoming for the holidays. The promise of family and a warm fire visible through the windows as you pull up to your parent's snow laden farmhouse in upstate new york.

unrelated, I've been told to use "the second set of rings" to mount another set of pads. is it possible to do that without ruining the stock pads?
You're lucky you got a pair of these. From where?

And better keep the stock pads completely unchanged, especially if you already like the sound. I was very lucky to get 3 pairs spare parts, completely OEM. They were very expensive but worth it as there is no way to get them anymore.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #517 of 621
You're lucky you got a pair of these. From where?

And better keep the stock pads completely unchanged, especially if you already like the sound. I was very lucky to get 3 pairs spare parts, completely OEM. They were very expensive but worth it as there is no way to get them anymore.
I guess I'll 3d print a ring then.

I got these used from /r/avexchange. previous owner put dekoni nuggets on it. I have a fat head and it made comfort worse. I took them off, and comfort is better, but the adhesive is stuck to the headband. so now I need a new headband. not even googone was able to remove it. I got a good deal, so not a huge deal, but I am going to try and look for a new headband. maybe klipsch has extras?

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #518 of 621

I got these used from /r/avexchange. previous owner put dekoni nuggets on it. I have a fat head and it made comfort worse. I took them off, and comfort is better, but the adhesive is stuck to the headband. so now I need a new headband. not even googone was able to remove it. I got a good deal, so not a huge deal, but I am going to try and look for a new headband. maybe klipsch has extras?
If you check earlier post, someone made a decent pad by using fostex pads, eva foam (ı think) and small magnets. And if you 3d print a good solution, Could you share it?

Also about the comfort, it improves the more you use them but yours were used so they should be fine. In case of mine I tried sennheiser headband pad knock-offs. They work fine for now.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #519 of 621
If you check earlier post, someone made a decent pad by using fostex pads, eva foam (ı think) and small magnets. And if you 3d print a good solution, Could you share it?

Also about the comfort, it improves the more you use them but yours were used so they should be fine. In case of mine I tried sennheiser headband pad knock-offs. They work fine for now.
sorry I was saying the nuggets made comfort worse. it's fine normally. It's no Aeon but it's decent.

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #520 of 621

It's sad to hear some owners are not really careful with their gears, especially on such rare items now. They could have used something else without altering anything to the headband, like a piece of tiny cloth to place it on your head or something to improve comfort. Yes, you may look silly but to be honest, does that really matter? Especially for using them in house.

I doubt Klipsch makes spare parts and if they do, it will take a lot of time but don't take my word for it. Some user here had to wait for a long time.

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #521 of 621
It's sad to hear some owners are not really careful with their gears, especially on such rare items now. They could have used something else without altering anything to the headband, like a piece of tiny cloth to place it on your head or something to improve comfort. Yes, you may look silly but to be honest, does that really matter? Especially for using them in house.

I doubt Klipsch makes spare parts and if they do, it will take a lot of time but don't take my word for it. Some user here had to wait for a long time.
I don't blame someone for making a great sounding pair of headphones more comfortable. but there's a lesson to be learned here in using adhesive

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #522 of 621
I don't blame someone for making a great sounding pair of headphones more comfortable. but there's a lesson to be learned here in using adhesive
Exactly. Messing with adhesive is plain stupid and dumb.

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #523 of 621

You could try something like a ZMF Pilot Pad or a Co-Pilot Pad. They'll add some padding to the headband.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #524 of 621

I am currently using Brainwavz XL round Hybrid earpads and I found them to be quite similar in sound signature to the original HP3 earpads and they're now more comfy thanks to the velour texture. I've tried a few pads from Aliexpress and they just altered the sound too much and now they're just collecting dust at the side (i feel bad).

As for mounting the pads, I drew out the location of the magnets on a piece of cardboard and cut the rings out from there. Some tape is enough to secure the magnets in place, then just slot the ring under the pads. And tada, you're ready to mount tons of different pads to test with!

I recently just got my 3D printer and I'll try designing a mounting ring in my free time.

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #525 of 621
It is sad to see Klipsch has discountinued two of the most wonderful products: HP-3 and the Heritage amplifier.
In fact, I'm using the amplifier with my Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm and am surprised it has a lot of power and makes the highs much more bearable and joyful compared to the crappy Fiio K5 Pro which makes anything harsh and painful.

The HP-3 and the amplifier still remains one of the most pretty for many of years to come with the amplifier. Damn you, Klipsch! Why did you have to end them??

Anyway, I was just in time to grab OEM earpads before they become non-existent, 3 ebony earpads to be precisely so I can sacrifice the one pair that are not ebony lol. But so far, no reason to change because I like to keep all of my stuff stock and original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back