Klipsch HP-3
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #496 of 621
If you're searching for a headphone with similar characteristics, albeit one with better technicalities, I'd vote for the TH900 Mk2. It is just as musical and engaging, offering the best distillation of a "v-shaped" sound in the business, IMO.
Just did a quick search. Saw price ranges from $1600 to over $2k. Definitely out of the budget.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #498 of 621
The HP-3 will fit very well your described demand, if you can get them for the targeted 800$!
Others worth mentioning, that could fit your liking and price target also: Campfire Cascade, E-MU Teak
There is a very good thread with reviews and comparisons: The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
I just plugged in the HP-3 yesterday into my TT2 and it was a blast again!

Good decision, already thought about getting a backup-pair too :sunglasses:
Well my potential acquisition of the HP3s didn’t work out. So, guess I’ll just keep an eye on the classifieds in case any pop up (unless someone here wants to part with theirs :wink: ).

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #499 of 621
Just did a quick search. Saw price ranges from $1600 to over $2k. Definitely out of the budget.
Oops, my apologies. I didn't notice the stated budget.

With that in mind, I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation of the E-MU Teak. It is the closed-back champ in the $500 category. Compared to the HP-3, the Teak is a little more mature in its sound; it is less exciting, thanks to an attenuated bass presence (relative to the Klipsch). However, it still retains a musical tone, with a luscious bass texture that's both impactful and definitive.

If you want something that's similar to the HP-3, you should try the Campfire Audio Cascade. It has a heavier mid-bass section, but offers comparable levels of engagement.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #500 of 621
Well my potential acquisition of the HP3s didn’t work out. So, guess I’ll just keep an eye on the classifieds in case any pop up (unless someone here wants to part with theirs :wink: ).
I wasn't going to say anything since it sounded like you had an HP-3 all lined up, but since it didn't work out, I will mention it.

If you want a taste of what the HP-3 sounds like to see if you will like the sound enough to buy them, a pad swap to these (or equivalent) and some rear driver dampening with a cotton round on your Nighthawk you have listed in your signature gets it within ~15% of the HP-3, IMO, since they share the same driver. The bigger wood cups on the HP-3 and shallower leather pads do add a certain something to the sound that they Nighthawk doesn't have (soundstage, mostly). And the modded Nighthawk have a little more treble to my ears (although it doesn't really seem that way in the measurements). I have included a measurement of both but this is for COMPARISONS ONLY since my rig is very non-standard.
HP-3-vs-AQ-Nighthawk-Modded.jpg

As for alternatives to the HP-3, I enjoy my Onkyo A800 more than the HP-3, with it's fun subbass and detailed top end, but they are out of production and hard to find. So, not really an option, I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #501 of 621
I wasn't going to say anything since it sounded like you had an HP-3 all lined up, but since it didn't work out, I will mention it.

If you want a taste of what the HP-3 sounds like to see if you will like the sound enough to buy them, a pad swap to these (or equivalent) and some rear driver dampening with a cotton round on your Nighthawk you have listed in your description gets it within ~15% of the HP-3, IMO, since they share the same driver. The bigger wood cups on the HP-3 and shallower leather pads do add a certain something to the sound that they Nighthawk doesn't have (soundstage, mostly). And the modded Nighthawk have a little more treble to my ears (although it doesn't really seem that way in the measurements). I have included a measurement of both but this is for COMPARISONS ONLY since my rig is very non-standard.
HP-3-vs-AQ-Nighthawk-Modded.jpg

As for alternatives to the HP-3, I enjoy my Onkyo A800 more than the HP-3, with it's fun subbass and detailed top end, but they are out of production and hard to find. So, not really an option, I guess.
Interesting. Think I’ll try this. The Nighthawks (carbon) don’t get used much and they are very comfortable which is a big reason I still have them. I’ll PM you if I have any questions. It’ll be a week or two before I can get to it. Thanks!

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #502 of 621
Interesting. Think I’ll try this. The Nighthawks (carbon) don’t get used much and they are very comfortable which is a big reason I still have them. I’ll PM you if I have any questions. It’ll be a week or two before I can get to it. Thanks!
Cool! Happy to help where I can so DM away if you have any questions! I was in the same boat with my Nighthawk Carbon, loved the comfort, but they are so weirdly tuned I was only able to find a handful of songs I liked on them. Now they sound similar to my HP-3 and are more comfortable so now my HP-3 gathers dust most of the time. lol

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #503 of 621
Oops, my apologies. I didn't notice the stated budget.

With that in mind, I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation of the E-MU Teak. It is the closed-back champ in the $500 category. Compared to the HP-3, the Teak is a little more mature in its sound; it is less exciting, thanks to an attenuated bass presence (relative to the Klipsch). However, it still retains a musical tone, with a luscious bass texture that's both impactful and definitive.

If you want something that's similar to the HP-3, you should try the Campfire Audio Cascade. It has a heavier mid-bass section, but offers comparable levels of engagement.
Ended up getting the Teaks with Ebony and Mahogany Teak cups.

Edit: this one looks good: https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...ds=hd700+balanced+cable&qid=1630796398&sr=8-6

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #505 of 621
late to the party but damn, they seem amazing. The orange and wood :heart_eyes:

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #506 of 621
Congrats and enjoy :)
Pretty sure I got Teak instead of Mahogany. According to the Drop website, Teak is a little less "V" shaped than ebony. Will be interesting to compare after I get them.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #507 of 621
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #508 of 621
Trust me, I was super bummed when I realized that the majority of my favorites genre, European metal,sounds like garbage on any headphone that has some detail, instead of enhancing the music is shoves the flaws down your throat, or ears, in this case. This is a major reason I keep some of my cheaper sets around for when I want to be able to listen to some of my favorite stuff without making my ears bleed.
Maybe I'm ressurrecting an old topic but that's what I thought after listening through my first 1k cans Clear MGs. :smile:
Anyway, when a pair of wild HP-3 appeared on Amazon (Turkey) I ordered. I hope I don't regret them. Not that I regretted buying Clears. If anything, it is now more obvious I need muliple pairs.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #509 of 621
The HP-3 is a pretty nice headphone and if you didn't pay a ridiculous sum I would be surprised if you regret the purchase. I wish that I had been able to afford to keep my HP-3 but sadly I had to sell them. I certainly regret selling them.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #510 of 621
The HP-3 is a pretty nice headphone and if you didn't pay a ridiculous sum I would be surprised if you regret the purchase. I wish that I had been able to afford to keep my HP-3 but sadly I had to sell them. I certainly regret selling them.
Sorry to hear. I paid like 750$ one should take our currency's the sudden decrease of value. Since it is the last stock, they didn't raise the price I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back