Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Nov 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #646 of 1,468
I've sold my HP-3. I prefer the EMU, but mine have the full Lawton mods, Tune Up Kit, Angle Pads, and Flame Maple Chambers, and I use a multiwire Kimber Cable. I would never sell the Lawton EMU, my top phones!

I love the hell out of my Lawton modded E-Mu Teaks. For the price they sound amazing. Why did you end up selling the HP-3s?

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #647 of 1,468
I love the hell out of my Lawton modded E-Mu Teaks. For the price they sound amazing. Why did you end up selling the HP-3s?

Flat out my Lawton modded EMU's were better than the HP-3s, I have Lawton TH610's with Padauk Chambers that are also very good, maybe a little more neutral than the EMU, but on my Kenzie out of my Metrum Amythest DAC the EMU respondrf with better bass, wider soundstage with a more open sound than the HP-3. I didn't need the box, stand or extra cable cost put into the HP-3, although I did get them at the original price after talking with customer service where they were purchased. Klipsch charges like $81 for sales tax no matter where they ship them, I sent my first pair back to Klipsch for a refund.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #648 of 1,468
Flat out my Lawton modded EMU's were better than the HP-3s, I have Lawton TH610's with Padauk Chambers that are also very good, maybe a little more neutral than the EMU, but on my Kenzie out of my Metrum Amythest DAC the EMU respondrf with better bass, wider soundstage with a more open sound than the HP-3. I didn't need the box, stand or extra cable cost put into the HP-3, although I did get them at the original price after talking with customer service where they were purchased. Klipsch charges like $81 for sales tax no matter where they ship them, I sent my first pair back to Klipsch for a refund.

Really? That statement felt like a Mike Tyson uppercut. I'm stunned. Perhaps you can write a detailed comparison one time. That is some very shocking things to read. I've been following this hp-3 so long, but also have interest in Lawton company mods/cups like LA7000, th900 Lawton etc. I never saw E-Mu and Lawton in same sentence lol. Sounds cool E-MU Lawton Also waiting on more of those HP-3/Auteur battles.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #649 of 1,468
Really? That statement felt like a Mike Tyson uppercut. I'm stunned. Perhaps you can write a detailed comparison one time. That is some very shocking things to read. I've been following this hp-3 so long, but also have interest in Lawton company mods/cups like LA7000, th900 Lawton etc. I never saw E-Mu and Lawton in same sentence lol. Sounds cool E-MU Lawton Also waiting on more of those HP-3/Auteur battles.

I should add, with my gears, my setup with my ears, my preferences!

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #651 of 1,468
I will post my impression comparing HP-3 against HD660S in a week or so.
Following up my previous post.
I got HD660S about a week ago. Since then, I spent lots of time comparing HD660S against a variety of cans in my collection (please see my profile for the details).

Sadly, HD660S failed to excite me. I'm going to return them. It's hard to explain why I could not like them.
There is no glaring flaw in HD660S. Nothing at all.
However, there is also nothing sticking out in a good way. They sound too polite. Whatever the music tracks I threw, they played all nicely. But I did not get any excitement.

On the other hand, every time I listen to HP-3, there is excitement and sheer joy of enjoying music. One thing HP-3 does significantly better than HD660S (and also many others) is dynamic range. That is probably the reason why I get excited and enjoy "music". Bass is strong and impactful without distortion, and treble sings also strong without sounding harsh. Mid has just enough presence.
Every time I listen to HP-3, I feel like listening to live music either in studio or concert hall or jazz club depending on the recordings. In my previous post, I said HP-3 produces really life like music experience.
I repeat that again here. Life like music experience is the right description of HP-3 sound characteristics to me. YMMV.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #652 of 1,468
My beloved HP-3...
9935895_l.jpg

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #653 of 1,468
My beloved HP-3...
9935895_l.jpg
Nice, have you compared them to the HE-1000V2's? I am considering these but there aren't a lot of reviews out there comparing these to other headphones.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #654 of 1,468
Nice, have you compared them to the HE-1000V2's? I am considering these but there aren't a lot of reviews out there comparing these to other headphones.

I'm a little miffed that there are so few reviews. I've been with this thread since the beginning. From all the interest, enthusiasm, and input received you would think there would be more than a handful of reviews! For sure this thread has generated interest in other competing headphones; some of which I've never heard of until now.
I've gained a wealth of knowledge regarding other headphones out there because of this thread. I have no doubt the HP-3's are very nice headphones but I think Klipsch took a few wrong turns in marketing. The consumer will decide.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #655 of 1,468
Has anyone tried pushing the HP-3 drivers by EQ'ing up the bass?

I tried seeing how capable my MDR-Z1R were for my basshead needs, but sadly they weren't as impactful as the Fostex TH-900 I use to have. Now I'm considering getting the Klipsch or going back to the Fostex. Or maybe some Kannons to save some money... (I'll keep the Sony's for normal listening of course)

EDIT: What are the connectors? 3.5mm TS, same as the Focal Elear? I might go Klipsch if I can reuse my after-market cables for these.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #658 of 1,468
At what?

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #660 of 1,468
Typical head-fi answers of late..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back