Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #616 of 1,468
I will post my impression comparing HP-3 against HD660S in a week or so.

Now I did some measurements on the right side ear pad.
Outer ring - 4.25" circle
Inner ring - 2 x 2.5" oval
Pad thickness (depth at the inner ring) - front 0.5" & back 0.75"

It's near perfect fit for my ears. Very comfortable despite the weight (~1lb or 440g).

9935811_l.jpg
Thank you very much! I usually need the depth to be about an inch so this might be so so.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #617 of 1,468
Thank you very much! I usually need the depth to be about an inch so this might be so so.
You are welcome.
Just for curiosity, I put them on without listening to music and felt that the outer rim of my ears were touching the clothes cover inside the ear pads. There is no pressure, but clearly I felt them.
Once music started, the sound got my full attention so that I did not feel them anymore.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #618 of 1,468
Well that really sucks!
If Klipsch wants to make it that difficult, and expects everyone (other than Americans) to jump through hoops to acquire their product, they can keep it.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #619 of 1,468
If Klipsch wants to make it that difficult, and expects everyone (other than Americans) to jump through hoops to acquire their product, they can keep it.

You can pre-order! I called Klipsch in Indiana, their headquarters, and they said production isn't finalized for them. I got them through Klipsch, and the person I spoke to said they only had six available in ebony. only. I'm sure once they start distribution to their dealers, they will be available in all three woods. This is no different than any other Mfg. They got the word out, even ZMF hasn't started taking pre-orders for the Auteur. New products at RMAF, for the most part were exhibited to build the hype, Senn 660, LCD2C, Hifiman Sustara, etc. Same hoops for everyone, some patience needed in this hobby.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #620 of 1,468
You can pre-order!
No I can't. As I said earlier, I keep getting bumped to the Canadian site and there's no order/pre-order option there. And when I send an inquiry to the e-mail address on the "Contact Us" page, it comes back as non-existent. Fun and games.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #621 of 1,468
Nov 2, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #622 of 1,468
Thank you! I just e-mailed.

Thanks for helping out. It is appreciated.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #624 of 1,468
Has anyone that have these headphones tried different placement on your head? As with other Fostex/Foster variants, they have wider pads towards the back of your head. For my fit, I like them pushed as far back on my head that I can. If I position them more forward on my head, like touching the back of my ears, it seems to increase the bass quantity. For my average noggin, I have the settings for both slides set to 4.1, and the headband further back than center on my head. Works for me.

These are a real class set of headphones. They best all of the Foster/Fostex Biodyna driver variant headphones that I have had. Including those in my profile with Lawton upgrades! I highly recommend the Metrum Amethyst DAC, and Kenzie Amp with all of the Foster/Fostex Biodyna drivers. I have like the second Kenzie that Justin built a few years back, with a couple dozen NOS tubes, that allow tube rolling at a very minimal cost. I have had the Metrum Amethyst DAC, Musette, and Octave before that. They work best with zero feedback amps, which is the Kenzie and others from Ampsandsound!

YMMV

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #625 of 1,468
Has anyone that have these headphones tried different placement on your head? As with other Fostex/Foster variants, they have wider pads towards the back of your head. For my fit, I like them pushed as far back on my head that I can. If I position them more forward on my head, like touching the back of my ears, it seems to increase the bass quantity. For my average noggin, I have the settings for both slides set to 4.1, and the headband further back than center on my head. Works for me.
To me, the placement of the ear pads does not make much difference. But magnitude of sealing makes a noticeable difference especially in bass quantity. As HP-3 has relatively large ear pads, sometimes they don't sit snuggly enough around the ears. Either positioning front or back, when the seal is not tight, they sound "lighter" with less bass. As soon as recovering proper sealing, bass is back. Again I don't notice any change in bass quantity by moving the ear pads back and forth as long as the seal is not broken. And in my experience, this is a common phenomenon.

These are a real class set of headphones. They best all of the Foster/Fostex Biodyna driver variant headphones that I have had.
Totally agreed on this. HP-3 reproduces very realistic music scenes, either in studio or live setting. They are the best "music listening" HPs probably not so much for analytical/critical listening. They have pretty good resolution and separation, though.
I tried HP-3 with Hugo 2, TA-ZH1ES, DA-310USB, AK SP1000Cu, and X7mk2/AM5. And to my surprise, they paired extremely well with X7mk2/AM5. For some reason, X7mk2/AM5 drives them with such an authority making music so life like. So even at home, I listen to HP-3 through X7mk2/AM5. I know it sounds weird. But I love it!!

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #626 of 1,468
To me, the placement of the ear pads does not make much difference. But magnitude of sealing makes a noticeable difference especially in bass quantity. As HP-3 has relatively large ear pads, sometimes they don't sit snuggly enough around the ears. Either positioning front or back, when the seal is not tight, they sound "lighter" with less bass.
Thanks for posting this. I hate finicky pad sealing, it drives me nuts. Move your head or jaw and the sound goes awry. I've had a few headphones like this and I didn't keep them around for long.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #627 of 1,468
I read a post somewhere that Vlad mentioned a slight mod to the ear cup that creates a small vent to reduce bass by a few db's without affecting the rest of the sound, for those thinking they have too much bass. The bass is just right for me on both my Kenzie and my SS amp. Bass for me is tight, and there when called for. I think system synergy makes a difference. The thing I like is that the HP-3 sounds more speaker like than any other phones that I have heard. The imaging, soundstage width, depth and height are all right there where I like them. Great implementation of the Foster Biodyna 52mm drivers! These were developed over the last two years of research, and were not released until they achieved results to the Klipsch standard. Klipsch is now owned by VOXX, who just recently purchased them about a month ago. So, that is probably why it is taking a while to get them into distributionl channels, I think!

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #628 of 1,468
I read a post somewhere that Vlad mentioned a slight mod to the ear cup that creates a small vent to reduce bass by a few db's without affecting the rest of the sound, for those thinking they have too much bass. The bass is just right for me on both my Kenzie and my SS amp. Bass for me is tight, and there when called for. I think system synergy makes a difference.
The bass is also just right for me. But in my case, the best synergy can be achieved with X7mk2/AM5, surprise.

The thing I like is that the HP-3 sounds more speaker like than any other phones that I have heard. The imaging, soundstage width, depth and height are all right there where I like them. Great implementation of the Foster Biodyna 52mm drivers!
I totally agree. HP-3 sounds the most speaker like among my collection, even better than Utopia and HE1kv2!! Technically there are many other high-end HPs that surpasses HP-3. However, HP-3 stands out when you put your priority in enjoying music with a life like presentation.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #629 of 1,468
You can contact this dealer and ask if they ship to your address, http://www.hideflifestyle.com/heritage-hp-3-headphone-ebony

They don't, unfortunately.

I read a post somewhere that Vlad mentioned a slight mod to the ear cup that creates a small vent to reduce bass by a few db's without affecting the rest of the sound, for those thinking they have too much bass. The bass is just right for me on both my Kenzie and my SS amp. Bass for me is tight, and there when called for. I think system synergy makes a difference. The thing I like is that the HP-3 sounds more speaker like than any other phones that I have heard. The imaging, soundstage width, depth and height are all right there where I like them. Great implementation of the Foster Biodyna 52mm drivers! These were developed over the last two years of research, and were not released until they achieved results to the Klipsch standard. Klipsch is now owned by VOXX, who just recently purchased them about a month ago. So, that is probably why it is taking a while to get them into distributionl channels, I think!
A vent would help them breathe, which should alleviate the problem of perfect seal.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #630 of 1,468
The bass is also just right for me. But in my case, the best synergy can be achieved with X7mk2/AM5, surprise.

I totally agree. HP-3 sounds the most speaker like among my collection, even better than Utopia and HE1kv2!! Technically there are many other high-end HPs that surpasses HP-3. However, HP-3 stands out when you put your priority in enjoying music with a life like presentation.

"Life like presentation", what I have been looking for since entering this hobby. The first I heard Klipsch speakers was a small 5.1 system powered off of the sub woofer. I upgraded that system to M & K THX system, and thens to my current Usher speaker system. I gave the Klipsch 5.1 system to my daughter, it has unbelievable sound, even up against systems costing many times more. The HP-3 has captured that Klipsch sound that I remember, and really appreciate the music. I think I can finally quit listening to headphones, source, amp for changes in sound to scale the music up, and just enjoy my music, and try to forget all the money I have spent on the gears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back