Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Jul 1, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #271 of 1,468
3.5m is a robust and well test able, plenty of after-market cables available. I'm still reading the thread however if in case it hasn't been asked:
  • How many models is going to be release? # colors of HP3. HP2 will be a 40mm version and also semi open, target retail around $599-699. Lastly we will make a closed back that will be available in wired as well as BT ANC-target retail $399 and $499. We do not yet know how many finish choices we will have in those models.
  • What are the model name? HP3 (Ebony, Walnut, Oak). HP2 40mm semi open. HP1 40mm closed back in wired and BT ANC
  • What makes them different from each other? See above
  • What prices are they expected to be retailing for? See above
  • When are they due to be release? HP3 in Sept. The other models, I am not sure yet. My main goal was for my team to knock it out of the park on HP3, so I only gave them a hard deadline on that model and told them to make them the best they can, then worry about the other models-if I had to guess, you will see the additional models around May of next year (but thats a guess, we have many other products we are working on)

Many thanks.

********Answers above*******

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #272 of 1,468
I think as has been asked, it is important to recognize the various cleavages in the hobby. There are purists who want as close to neutral as you can get, those who want a contemporary tuning where bass is strong, but of good quality and plethora of people with various permeations of these two dominant signature approaches. I personally fall in between those camps as I prefer a little lift in the lower frequencies but done in a thoughtful and controlled manner without unbalancing the signature too much toward bass extension. How wide a swath of consumers does Klipsch hope to capture? Will there be various tunings meant to align with the various camps meaning will there be a delineation between the neutral purist and the "fun" contemporary user or just one house sound tweaked? I would be quite pleased to see a quality mobile offering with Bluetooth capability among the offerings, and in fact I would have to think this is a huge market segment to cover off.

The devil is in the details, so for the moment putting aside sound signature concerns, as has been mentioned comfort is crucial and choices such as well designed ergonomic cables (ideally removable) are important. The Oppo PM3 was designed internally to be useable with a balanced cable if the user was so inclined. I would say for my sensibilities I would rather see less bling accessories such as opulent cases in favour of say two cable choices where appropriate, for example a model that could be portable as well as used at home offering a cable designed for each environment. If going with balanced capable for portable or smaller footprint home use the 4.4mm that Sony and other companies are seeming to champion seems to make sense so I wonder how Klipsch sees the future where this is concerned? I like that pad changes are being thought of already, that will likely be a very popular decision. I am currently playing around with an Audioquest NightOwl and enjoy having two pad choices that do indeed have sonic impacts.

No one headphone can be everything to everybody so obviously design decisions will be a balance of compromises and strengths. I have just read this first page so if more information has been revealed and my points are rendered moot already sorry for that. I will be reading the entire thread with interest. I rather like when speaker companies get into the headphone game. I have owned recent B&W, KEF and Bang & Oulfsen, PSB, Focal portable offerings (among many others) and I feel that the hobby is well served when speaker companies get seriously invested in the hobby so I very much look forward to the contributions Klipsch is undoubtedly going to make. I would be happy (as I'm sure everybody here would be) to participate in any beta user projects so my door is always open!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #273 of 1,468
It's great you guys have listened to the community on what people want in a headphone. Everything is looking great, especially that cable! Looking forward to these (especially as a owner of a Reference Premier 5.1 setup!)

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #274 of 1,468
These are looking very nice indeed. I will be following with interest.

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #275 of 1,468
B10CB403-366F-4416-AD4E-A782A896057E.JPG
B10CB403-366F-4416-AD4E-A782A896057E.JPG

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #276 of 1,468
The headphone looks sexy as ****. And I'm very interested in this pair since I absolute love the 2.1 RP series setup I have on my desktop.

However I'm having a huge concern about the headband. Headbands like that can be uncomfortable (for me) if they're not wellpadded and I pretty much use headphones for 8-10hours a day and sadly headbands of this kind tend to not stand the test of time for me. So I'm wondering if you've plans to sell seperate replacement headbands? The screw on design seems like a great decision if that's your plan.

Looking forward to trying them out.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #277 of 1,468
The headphone looks sexy as ****. And I'm very interested in this pair since I absolute love the 2.1 RP series setup I have on my desktop.

However I'm having a huge concern about the headband. Headbands like that can be uncomfortable (for me) if they're not wellpadded and I pretty much use headphones for 8-10hours a day and sadly headbands of this kind tend to not stand the test of time for me. So I'm wondering if you've plans to sell seperate replacement headbands? The screw on design seems like a great decision if that's your plan.

Looking forward to trying them out.

Happy 4th. We are still testing. Our internal Alpha sample test group will soon be about 20 users. So far I can tell you the longest I've listened straight without stop is just about 3 hours and I had zero fatigue. We will of course do much more research and testing, but we were initially concerned about the headband after comments from this forum in response to the CES sample pics. We increased the width and diameter of the headband in response to the concern.

We will keep evaluating but I think we are quite close to optimal comfort on extended listening. Vlad has had samples longer than me and he listens to HP's most of the day at his desk, I'll let him chime in on his findings thus far as well.

But rest assured we are considering your feedback.

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #284 of 1,468
OK. This is sketchy at best but I really feel we need to start to get these in your hands or better yet on your ears (that was bad I know...).

Lets have a meet or two.

Here's what I'm thinking:

First meet in NY or Philly. Please message me, or do you think we need a separate thread?

I'm thinking I can have myself, Vlad my Product Manager and Andrew our chief HP engineer. If we get enough response I will rent a ballroom...some place cool...Soho Grand in NY or somewhere in Old City in Philly (if you haven't been there is an amazing spot for Belgian Beer called Eulogy on 2nd and like Chestnut (their slogan is the 300 best beers you've never heard of). We'll do a raffle with some of the current product and if you attend we will get you special pricing on production Heritage HP's.

Between the three of us at Klipsch we have a decent amount of amps and other gear but we should probably ensure there is enough gear to make comparisons and also a bunch of different rigs...

If we can move quick, maybe we can get together in the next 2-3 weeks. The faster we arrange the less formal this will be...but perhaps the more beer we will consume...

Our goal is to get honest feedback, so if you plan to attend, I'm giving you homework!

Based on the success of this event, we can make this a roadshow and certainly arrange a west coast meeting too. I think we need a few informal events before we start to gear up for the major trade shows.

Thoughts???

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #285 of 1,468
Also maybe a demo tour. Send out a few pairs for people to demo. Me first! I'm 99% set on purchasing these as long as they sound as good as I'm hoping they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back