Klipsch Custom 3 Sound
May 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ffdpmaggot

100+ Head-Fier
For anyone who hasn't seen any of my threads, or more likely, those that have and don't keep track of this crap, I'm a metalhead, I listen to the very heaviest that metal has to offer, and I listen to things as light as cage the elephant. I'm trying to get my first pair of legit IEM, and have made somewhere between 4 and 6 threads to find the best pair, best pitch to my parents ('m thirteen), etc. I've gone down from the SE530 at 250 bucks to the custom 3 at half of that. Now for my question, could you describe the sound quality of the Custom 3? My highest priorities are clarity and separation, everything else can be EQ'd, I'd rather not though. In the sonic signature department, I am looking for something relatively flat, with some extra bass. "bright" headphones are a MAJOR issue, that's why i returned my S4. Recessed mids completely mar the music, and highs are my biggest issue as far as the sonic signature goes. The S4 were painful to listen to at my normal volume (laptop: 50, ipod:80). Also, as far as volume goes, the headphones can't be significantly at any volume, and of course, they need to be capable of not burning out at my normal listening volume. I just don't enjoy my music on "normal" or "reasonable" volumes, it just lacks to effect its meant to have. If the Custom 3 won't work, what headphones might?

May 16, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 18
From what I have read, Custom 3 have good sound, just really really bad cables and microphonics.

It would help to research on head-fi first.  There are many good threads up and about.

Here is one you should take a look at: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-63-iems-compared-yuin-ok1-added-05-03

May 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 18
could you describe "good sound" I supplied my criterion for good sound, and these could be the complete opposite of what i want

May 17, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 18
popcorn.gif
@ ffdpmaggot  , i feel the custom 3 can not be beat for the price that it sells for now ,and it will meet your requirements  in my opinion , it is a very well balanced iem with great punchy bass , nice midrange and detailed treble .

May 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
popcorn.gif
@ ffdpmaggot  , i feel the custom 3 can not be beat for the price that it sells for now ,and it will meet your requirements  in my opinion , it is a very well balanced iem with great punchy bass , nice midrange and detailed treble .

Agreed across the board...in short, the Custom 3 meet all your criteria, and sound nothing like the S4

May 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 18
One of the kids I tutor (also a teenager) just bought a pair of UE Triple-fi's.  According to some of the reviews, they've got great separation and clarity, qualities that you've mentioned are important to you.  $200 from a reputable dealer on eBay, might be worth reading up on them.  I havent heard them yet, but I'm definitely excited for the kid that i'm tutoring. 

May 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 18
There are better phones, but they're mostly more expensive phones. Custom 3's have respectable bass, but I wouldn't call them thumpers. Overall they're warm, balanced, musical phones, with very good presentation for BA phones.

May 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 18
Also, pricing shouldn't be too much of an issue (I recently turned 15) because the price fluctuates between 120-130 dollars, only 40-50 more than the Klipsch Image S4 which you successfully persuaded your parents to allow you to purchase. Good luck with the persuasion process, I've had to pitch the idea of owning a pair of 100+ dollar headphones to my parents multiple times before they even contemplated the concept. 

May 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 18
My parents are completely clueless about headphones, so they are currently under the impression that I broke 7 pairs of 80 dollar headphones. The other thing is that they don't believe how much money I would spend on earphones because of some random, absurd beliefs they hold that earphones are disposable items that all sound the same. Now the other thing is, I'm REALLY rough on headphones I get from the store because I have 30 days to return them for whatever reason, so I set my volume all the way up for the first 30 days. Then there are my backup headphones, my acoustic research god-knows-what-hideous-model headphones, because they simply let too much sound in and sound terrible, I max out the volume on these and they actually begin to sound nice. and hentai, thats exactly what I want, I HATE thumpers

May 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
My parents are completely clueless about headphones, so they are currently under the impression that I broke 7 pairs of 80 dollar headphones. The other thing is that they don't believe how much money I would spend on earphones because of some random, absurd beliefs they hold that earphones are disposable items that all sound the same. Now the other thing is, I'm REALLY rough on headphones I get from the store because I have 30 days to return them for whatever reason, so I set my volume all the way up for the first 30 days. Then there are my backup headphones, my acoustic research god-knows-what-hideous-model headphones, because they simply let too much sound in and sound terrible, I max out the volume on these and they actually begin to sound nice. and hentai, thats exactly what I want, I HATE thumpers

If you're really rough with your headphones, I'd be pretty careful with the KC3. The cable is thin and terribly prone to kinks. The kinks can be solved by cutting out the nylon mesh that surrounds the cable, but if you decide to get them, I'd be careful regardless.

May 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 18
I don't think you get it, I'm rough with the headphones I get a thirty day on, I figure in those thirty days, I'll subject them to the abuse of 2 years, just to test them. If they break, I can get another pair. With the KC3, I will be transporting them in the case, coiled, and cleaned whenever I do need to move them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back