Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Jun 2, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #211 of 320
What i've read is that THR-1's design isn't fully balanced, that's why i did opt using RCA inputs. Attenuators for RCA were easier (and cheaper) to get at my place. And most DAC's are symmetric build, even in single-ended mode. That's why soundquality don't differ that much in both modes.
Exactly right. This amp tends to fool the consumer: it's very powerful; has a 4-pin XLR output for headphones on the front; and its only preamp output is a pair of 3-pin XLRs (which I truly really don't understand).

Yet it's basically an uber-powerful single-ended design. As @dermott pointed out, the balanced output signal from DACs often is close to double the voltage of their single-ended outputs, and that can only exaccerbate the THR-1's already significant gain issues.

I love the sound of this amp as a headphone amp, with those 2 x Rothwell 10 dB attenuators in line. But I've had less success using 3-pin-XLR-to-female RCA adapters on the outputs, which allow me to use the THR-1 as a system preamp. The level of the preamp out w/those adapters in place is lower in volume than any of the headphone outputs; and the sound of the preamp out isn't as good as the headphone outputs. I can only speculate that the culprit is those 2 adapters, but I can't verify this because my downstream devices are all single-ended.

I bought the THR-1 in large part because I intended to use it as a system preamp. The fact that it's not very good in that role has me on the fence: I might end up selling it, despite the superlative sound when it's used as a headphone amp.

Jun 2, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #212 of 320
I love the sound of this amp as a headphone amp, with those 2 x Rothwell 10 dB attenuators in line. But I've had less success using 3-pin-XLR-to-female RCA adapters on the outputs, which allow me to use the THR-1 as a system preamp. The level of the preamp out w/those adapters in place is lower in volume than any of the headphone outputs; and the sound of the preamp out isn't as good as the headphone outputs. I can only speculate that the culprit is those 2 adapters, but I can't verify this because my downstream devices are all single-ended.

I bought the THR-1 in large part because I intended to use it as a system preamp. The fact that it's not very good in that role has me on the fence: I might end up selling it, despite the superlative sound when it's used as a headphone amp.
That's really too bad. I'm loving mine as a pre-amp in my setup. It turns out the Vanatoo T0's I use usually run very hot very fast, so having the lower output of the THR-1 pre-out (using Burson's XLR -> RCA adaptors) really makes them more manageable. Pretty exactly the opposite for how the amp works with headphones.

Hopefully they'll come out with a new version eventually (THR-2?) that will address these issues, since just as you said, the sound is really phenomenal.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #214 of 320
Hi All! So I placed my order of this amp after reading the great reviews everywhere and also seems like the sound characterstics of the amp is what I am looking for! I would be using HE1000SE and Atrium with it.

For the DAC purpose, I'll be using M17 or R8's line out for the job and will also use them as a source. From what I read, do you recommend I use a 3.5mm to two RCA cable or should I use the balanced XLR in?

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #215 of 320
20220607_133417.jpg

Got one on loan. Burning in now...

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #217 of 320
Another plus for the THR-1: the design is compact and very attractive.
Agree. The build quality is good, nice look and sturdy. Plenty of power and remain cold after long play.

1 thing to note, it always comes back to ch 1 / RCA after turning off - on. So if you connect with Ch2/ XLR should always press channel switch button.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #218 of 320
Agree. The build quality is good, nice look and sturdy. Plenty of power and remain cold after long play.

1 thing to note, it always comes back to ch 1 / RCA after turning off - on. So if you connect with Ch2/ XLR should always press channel switch button.
My advice is that you do not need to switch it off. By keeping it powered on always.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #221 of 320
If I use my Fiio M17 or R8 that has a true line out both single and balance-ended, what would be the ideal way of connecting it to the THR-1?
The THR-1 is basically an uber powerful single-ended amp/preamp. I used the 4-pin XLR HP out for convenience, but it's said to not sound any different via single-ended outputs.

I haven't tested how the inputs sound--I have only a single-ended/RCA cable running from my DAC to the THR-1, and no way of testing balanced inputs--but I'm guessing there would be no difference in sound whether balanced vs single-ended inputs were used.

But there definitely is a different operational quirk that must be considered here: this amp has no gain adjustments, despite its great power. I'm running it only w/S.E. inputs, and still had to install 2 X 10 dB RCA in-line attenuators on the inputs to knock down the overall gain. Given that balanced outputs from amps often are "hotter" (higher in voltage) than single-ended outputs, I'm guessing that balanced inputs are to be avoided, as they'll only exacerbate the gain issue.

My experience has been that as a headphone amp, the THR-1 puts out incredible, high-level sound. So IMO it's well worth accommodating its gain issues to make it somewhat easier to use as a headphone amp....

Jun 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #222 of 320
But there definitely is a different operational quirk that must be considered here: this amp has no gain adjustments, despite its great power. I'm running it only w/S.E. inputs, and still had to install 2 X 10 dB RCA in-line attenuators on the inputs to knock down the overall gain. Given that balanced outputs from amps often are "hotter" (higher in voltage) than single-ended outputs, I'm guessing that balanced inputs are to be avoided, as they'll only exacerbate the gain issue.
Agree, i have tried the balanced inputs, but this amp is really (to) powerfull to drive average headphones like f.e. Focals without use of RCA inline attenuators. As said before, i have Rothwell's on my Single Ended inputs.

And to be honest, even with use of attenuators, sound will remain impressive. For what i can see (or hear :wink:), Kinki THR-1 is a keeper! Enjoy!!!

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #223 of 320
The THR-1 is basically an uber powerful single-ended amp/preamp. I used the 4-pin XLR HP out for convenience, but it's said to not sound any different via single-ended outputs.

I haven't tested how the inputs sound--I have only a single-ended/RCA cable running from my DAC to the THR-1, and no way of testing balanced inputs--but I'm guessing there would be no difference in sound whether balanced vs single-ended inputs were used.

My experience has been that as a headphone amp, the THR-1 puts out incredible, high-level sound. So IMO it's well worth accommodating its gain issues to make it somewhat easier to use as a headphone amp....
Thanks for that detailed reply, helps a lot! I guess I might as well stock up on some attenuators while im at it, since I'll be driving HEKSE and Atrium with it!

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #224 of 320
If I use my Fiio M17 or R8 that has a true line out both single and balance-ended, what would be the ideal way of connecting it to the THR-1?
I would connect the RCAs as the Cold pin is connected to ground through a resistor. There might be a chance that the source doesn't like it. The signal flowing through the headamp should be the same and you do not gain the advantages of balanced.

For headphone connection the high output jack and the "balanced" output should give the same signal, just difference in connectors. The low output has higher output impedance so you will get more interaction with the drivers' impedance. One should be aware that the THR-1 has very high output impedance so it will work better with high impedance headphones, but works with low impedance as well as long as the headphones have fairly flat impedance across the frequency spectrum. E.g. several Focal headphones will get a bass spike due to a spike in impedance at certain low frequencies while something like the Shure SRH-1540 will only have minor changes to the sound balance.

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #225 of 320
Thanks for that detailed reply, helps a lot! I guess I might as well stock up on some attenuators while im at it, since I'll be driving HEKSE and Atrium with it!
I have little doubt this powerhouse amp could driver either of the headphones mentioned with or without attenuators.

I can't check because I don't own either of any these headphones, but I suspect even with attenuators installed this amp could easily run the big Abyss, the Susvara, or even the legendary power hog HE6/SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back