Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Jun 30, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #241 of 320
Just got the amp delivered, love the build, wish they gave a cheap power cord atleast!

But just plugged the M17 in lineout to this for initial listen, so far I quite like it! I must be a bit deaf since with Atriums, my volume pot is at 10-11 o'clock!

For burn-in, I just keep the device powered on that's it? No need to plug the headphones?
Aha..there are many opinions regarding burn-in for amps,
- Just let it on
- Play music no pink noise
- play pink noise

What I do :
- I just turn it on for SS amps for a day or 2,
- for tubes amps I play music for 4-5 hours everyday, let it loosen up naturally. Especially for class A amps i never turn it on more than 4 hours.
- For headphones or speakers I play music.

Hope this helps.

Jun 30, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #242 of 320
Aha..there are many opinions regarding burn-in for amps,
- Just let it on
- Play music no pink noise
- play pink noise

What I do :
- I just turn it on for SS amps for a day or 2,
- for tubes amps I play music for 4-5 hours everyday, let it loosen up naturally. Especially for class A amps i never turn it on more than 4 hours.
- For headphones or speakers I play music.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! Never burned a desktop amp before so this helps!

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #243 of 320
Just got the amp delivered, love the build, wish they gave a cheap power cord atleast!

But just plugged the M17 in lineout to this for initial listen, so far I quite like it! I must be a bit deaf since with Atriums, my volume pot is at 10-11 o'clock!

For burn-in, I just keep the device powered on that's it? No need to plug the headphones?
I actually did play pink noise through mine for the first 300 hours, then just kept it on 24/7 since and have noticed it keeps changing and improving. I actually don’t know if the THR-1 is class A (anyone know this?), but it barely gets warm after leaving it on for a while.

How’s the synergy with the Atriums? I bet the bass slam is crazy!

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #244 of 320
I actually did play pink noise through mine for the first 300 hours, then just kept it on 24/7 since and have noticed it keeps changing and improving. I actually don’t know if the THR-1 is class A (anyone know this?), but it barely gets warm after leaving it on for a while.

I've disassembled the THR-1 dozens of time for fixing purposes and trust me, it will never get hot with all the thick metal all around, it is a f tank.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #245 of 320
I've disassembled the THR-1 dozens of time for fixing purposes and trust me, it will never get hot with all the thick metal all around, it is a f tank.
Is it true class A or AB?

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #246 of 320
Do the internals get hot themselves? Or is it just that the thick metal prevents that heat from escaping?

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #247 of 320
I'm not really sure, let's ask @alvin1118 he knows 100%

Do the internals get hot themselves? Or is it just that the thick metal prevents that heat from escaping?
It has aluminum heat sinks plus the case absorbs most of the heat

1656608154903.png

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #248 of 320

I'll just keep it on too! But yeah the Atrium sounds fantastic with this amp, bass is tight and slams pretty good and the soundstage is pretty huge too along with the depth.

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #249 of 320
This is not class A for sure. Class A devices need heat-sink on power transistors and THR-1 is without it on Exicons as you can see on pics above.

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #250 of 320
This is not class A for sure. Class A devices need heat-sink on power transistors and THR-1 is without it on Exicons as you can see on pics above.
The exicons come with their own heat sinks and thermal pads between

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #251 of 320
Almost no amps are true class A. Most class A amps have very high bias but will switch to class A/B at a certain level of power. The THR-1 is too powerful to be true class A (would get much hotter), but it most likely has enough bias current to operate in class A at usable volume. If an amp has 1w in class A and 5w in class A/B, does it really matter if a that it is not true class A when most users use far below 1 watt?

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #253 of 320
The exicons come with their own heat sinks and thermal pads between
:) This is not "true" heat sink, it is small. Look at other class A amps and heat sinks used there.

Jul 1, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #254 of 320
:) This is not "true" heat sink, it is small. Look at other class A amps and heat sinks used there.
SmartSelect_20220701-212556_Chrome.jpg

This is pure class A looks like, output power only 50W @ 8 ohm. Massive heatsink, large capacitor 440,000 uf.

*Property of Gryphon Essence
"Put bluntly, there is no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to pure Class A, so we state with no apologies: True, pure CLASS A means heavy transformers, very large heatsinks, lots of heat, lots of electricity, expensive parts and costly assembly."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back