Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Jun 15, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #226 of 320
I would connect the RCAs as the Cold pin is connected to ground through a resistor. There might be a chance that the source doesn't like it. The signal flowing through the headamp should be the same and you do not gain the advantages of balanced.

For headphone connection the high output jack and the "balanced" output should give the same signal, just difference in connectors. The low output has higher output impedance so you will get more interaction with the drivers' impedance. One should be aware that the THR-1 has very high output impedance so it will work better with high impedance headphones, but works with low impedance as well as long as the headphones have fairly flat impedance across the frequency spectrum. E.g. several Focal headphones will get a bass spike due to a spike in impedance at certain low frequencies while something like the Shure SRH-1540 will only have minor changes to the sound balance.
Yep I read that, one of the reasons why I think I'll probably hear a hiss with the HEKSE. Is there something I can do to avoid the hiss?

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #227 of 320
Yep I read that, one of the reasons why I think I'll probably hear a hiss with the HEKSE. Is there something I can do to avoid the hiss?
I don’t hear any hiss with the Arya V3, which has about the same sensitivity as the HEKSE.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #228 of 320
Just wanted to add an "inspiring :wink:" picture of my Kinki setup...

IMG_4202.jpg

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #232 of 320
How's the combination of this and Atrium?
Now I have reached around 50 hours with Kinki. I dont want to give impressions before I think it is properly break in.

It is a good a match with Atrium. It already gets very loud at vol 10 oclock.
Good dan deep bass, can bring out ATrium excellent bass.

Midrange also sweet, kinda tube mids.

Treble open and a little bit dry. But not at fatiguing level.

50 hours maybe not enough..will play it on for more hours.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #233 of 320
Now I have reached around 50 hours with Kinki. I dont want to give impressions before I think it is properly break in.

50 hours it s nothing for this amp... wait at least 300 hours... believe me.

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #234 of 320
The volume gain control of this headphone amplifier is highly flawed.

Using a 2Vrms input (RCA connection from a Denafrips Pontus II DAC), with my Susvara headphone the volume control is between 8 - 9 o'clock, with my Sennheiser HD800 it is between 7 - 8 o'clock and I cannot use my Meze Empy Elite headphone because it is already too loud at a volume control setting of 7 o'clock.

I think that the idea of using 10db Rothwell attenuators is an unsatisfactory solution because I don't believe that they are neutral - see https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0803/rothwell.htm

He states that "the outcome was that the sound became less stressed, easier on the ears, had more body, less edge, more mass and solidity, but also conversely become softer, less direct, less transparent with the transient dealing edges becoming more subdued and the highs less airy."

Why would I want to use an input attenuator that has many cons in a high-grade audiophile system?

Jeff.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #235 of 320

Using a 2Vrms input (RCA connection from a Denafrips Pontus II DAC), with my Susvara headphone the volume control is between 8 - 9 o'clock, with my Sennheiser HD800 it is between 7 - 8 o'clock and I cannot use my Meze Empy Elite headphone because it is already too loud at a volume control setting of 7 o'clock.

I think that the idea of using 10db Rothwell attenuators is an unsatisfactory solution because I don't believe that they are neutral - see https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0803/rothwell.htm

He states that "the outcome was that the sound became less stressed, easier on the ears, had more body, less edge, more mass and solidity, but also conversely become softer, less direct, less transparent with the transient dealing edges becoming more subdued and the highs less airy."

Why would I want to use an input attenuator that has many cons in a high-grade audiophile system?

Jeff.
Such an unfortunate design property. With Mojo Audio EVO Mystique output of 2.5v / 5.0v, not a chance of enjoyable use 😒.

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #236 of 320

Jeff.
I read that.

But I also tested my THR-1 with and without the attenuators. Of course it's nearly impossible to match volume after installing or deinstalling those.

But as far as I could tell, there was no sonic degradation happening with the attentuators.

Or maybe I was just hearing the benefit of the volume pot being set a little closer to the center of its range. Without attenuators, I couldn't get the pot setting over 8:00 - 8:30 AM on the dial with any low impedance, sensitive headphones.

I'm not sure the volume control is totally flawed. But I am sure that the lack of any reduced gain stages is a bad mistake. I renders this rather good-sounding amp borderline unusable, depending on the DAC & headphones used. I wouldn't even attempt a balanced DAC w/4+ volts output on the THR-1. That dog just won't hunt...

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #237 of 320

Jeff.
Yes the volume control needs to be improved. I can hear music leakage with my Grado even at vol 0 plugged to low gain SE out.

PS : Grado PS1000e : 32 ohm, 99.8 db sensitivity

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #238 of 320

Jeff.
That’s too bad! I must listen way too loud (or be really deaf), but the volume range doesn’t bother me with my headphones (ZMF’s and an Arya V3). Still, it would be really great to see a future version of this amp with gain levels.

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #239 of 320

Good to know! My new unit is with the courier and should have it sometime this week!

Let's see how it is, already bought attenuators just in case!

Jun 30, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #240 of 320
Just got the amp delivered, love the build, wish they gave a cheap power cord atleast!

But just plugged the M17 in lineout to this for initial listen, so far I quite like it! I must be a bit deaf since with Atriums, my volume pot is at 10-11 o'clock!

For burn-in, I just keep the device powered on that's it? No need to plug the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back