KingSound KS-H3?
Jun 13, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #181 of 204
From what I remember, the H-03 were more favorably reviewed than the H-02.
I have not heard the the H-02.
I still own and enjoy the KS H-03, paired with the M-10 SS amp [which I preferred to the tubed M-20].
I owned the KS H-03/M-10 together with the Stax SR-507 and upgraded Stax SRM-1, Mk.II. While the Stax were technically superior [e.g. detail retrieval, soundstage size, etc.], the KS H-03 struck me as more musical, with more well-rounded and natural bass presentation.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #182 of 204
I compared them a long time back (4-5 years?). The H3 is better than the H2. I don't recall in what ways, but I heard both and purchased the H3. There is now an H4, BTW. The M10 is not a very good amp and the clearance price is MORE than I paid for the M10 + H3, when the H3 was new. If I had it over, I'd go for a STAX L300 and a STAX amp. If you buy used, you will end up with a better setup than KS offers, for less money.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #183 of 204
While the Stax were technically superior [e.g. detail retrieval, soundstage size, etc.], the KS H-03 struck me as more musical, with more well-rounded and natural bass presentation.

I agree that the H3 is a better headphone than it is given credit for, especially after rolling the pads. It does have something special in the mid-range. But the L300 is going to make a wider selection of listeners happy. It is a much more well rounded headphone. And if you can afford the L700...

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #184 of 204
Okay, so the situation is, I have budget of roughly 1000 euros now. But I should have a budget of ~2500 euros if I waited for late autumn.
What kind of an electrostatic equipment could/should I get then? (Amp + headphones).
Let's consider both options, new and used. Also maybe new ones could be had for cheaper sometime around black friday... So much decision making... :) Stax 700 would have alternatives in other technologies like hd800s and lcd-x/3 in roughly the same price category and that is not counting for amp. But L700 is already clearly better than anything kingsound? If I was aiming for L700, what amp would make sense with that?

Got some accounting to do I guess :D

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #185 of 204
I would ask that question in the STAX III thread. However, before spending that kind of money, you should do some listening and decide for yourself what sounds best. Take 10% of your budget for travel, if there is no place local to you. You will save money in the long run.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #187 of 204
I agree that the H3 is a better headphone than it is given credit for, especially after rolling the pads. It does have something special in the mid-range. But the L300 is going to make a wider selection of listeners happy. It is a much more well rounded headphone. And if you can afford the L700...

Good point, VandyMan.
I replaced the H-03's stock pads [which were showing signs of wear despite my gingerly usage] with the Dekoni lambskin pads [I bought both a perforated and non-perforated pair]. Everything improved: upper mid glare was gone, bass was fuller and treble clearer; the entire frequency spectrum holds together better with the Dekoni.

The H-03 sounded their best with the upgraded Stax SRM-1, Mk.2. Sometimes I wish I did not sell the amp, but I am sure it is getting more play time and enjoyment from the Stax lover who purchased it.

. . . and I have thought long and hard about the L700! : )

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #189 of 204
Well. I did end up going to listen to the h02+m10 combination with a ~500 euro cd player and they sounded ok. Slightly more detailed than my old headphones, but I was really left with a feeling that they were trying to do something really hard but not quite getting there. No improvement on imaging or sound stage really. Just slightly more detail in male vocals and quitar especially. Then I tried bypassing the cd player and plugging my phone to rca ins of the m10 and listening same songs on tidal... and whatever advantage there was... it was gone. So yeah. I hope those were just nothing too special but I fear I have already entered the diminishing returns land. I was left more thinking about buying that cd player than the headphones :) Apparently it was a tube cd player. Didn't even know that was a thing. No visible tubes on the outside though.

Oh... and I kind of gave up on kingsound and estats in general for now and ordered lcd-x from ebay for 725 euros+shipping. (Demo unit from some german expo but the seller was in UK.) Khadas+Atom also coming just in case. Going to give some Staxes a listen on black friday though.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #191 of 204
I am looking for a bit of help.

I am thinking about the KS-H2 headphones to try some electrostatics but am not sure what to do about driving it. I dont want the M10, it's a little out of my budget range (the H2's are really cheap). Is there something more affordable to try these headphones out on? What about something like the SRD-4 if it has the pro-bias 5 pin output? Thanks for the help, I have always wanted to try some electrostatics!

Airbow SRM-253 / 253s

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #192 of 204
Ran the H-03 with the SRM-1, Mk 2. The Stax is a much more detail-rendering amplifier than the M-10, and really "wakes up" the H-03.
The SR-507 sound very good with the SRM-1, Mk 2--way more detailed than the H-03 (which now sound veiled by comparison).

Saw a good deal on H-03 and almost ordered, but this comment prevented me from it.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #193 of 204
I have tried the iFi iCan/IESL combo and I found that the iCan was lacking some power output (on low gain). So I sold the iCan pro. Now I am using RME Adi 2 pro's headphone output (Output level at 0 dBFS, Hi-Power On, load 150 Ohm or up: +28 dBu (19.5 V)) to drive the IESL. I also have a Cayin CS55A which I can connect to the IESL with speaker cables.

Attachments

• ifi iesl ps1000e rme adi 2 pr.jpg
    ifi iesl ps1000e rme adi 2 pr.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210203_183401.jpg
    20210203_183401.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #194 of 204
I have tried the iFi iCan/IESL combo and I found that the iCan was lacking some power output (on low gain). So I sold the iCan pro. Now I am using RME Adi 2 pro's headphone output (Output level at 0 dBFS, Hi-Power On, load 150 Ohm or up: +28 dBu (19.5 V)) to drive the IESL. I also have a Cayin CS55A which I can connect to the IESL with speaker cables.
Here is a review about the Kingsound KS-H03 and the IESL. You need at least 10V into 64Ω to drive the IESL from an amp. I was going to sell the KS-H04, until I found the info here. Thanks for changing my mind!! I ordered Dekoni earpads and cannot wait to hear them.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #195 of 204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back