Kindle
Aug 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

fuseboxx

500+ Head-Fier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002FQJT3Q

Does anyone here own a Kindle or knows people who use it?

My wife, who's a bookworm, is considering buying one. The extent of our knowledge about it is that you can read and download/buy ebooks using it. Their selections is just as wide as your selection for normal books, so that shouldn't be a problem. We're not sure what limitation is has for users outside of the USA, if there are such limitations.

It costs $189. Thoughts and comments on this gadget?

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 52
I've thought about picking one up, too. I have the Kindle app on the iPad and like it, but the prices are so good now, that I'd like one just to keep around as a cheap reader and to hold a bunch of electronics PDFs that I have.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 52

Quote:
I've thought about picking one up, too. I have the Kindle app on the iPad and like it, but the prices are so good now, that I'd like one just to keep around as a cheap reader and to hold a bunch of electronics PDFs that I have.

You can load and read PDFs on a Kindle? Maybe I should pre-order one.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 52

Quote:

Not to mention that reading on the Kindle screen, instead of the iPad screen, is a lot less fatiguing to the eyes.

I've been tempted to pick one up after playing around with them, but I'd have a hard time getting over the hump of not having a physical book. Although, a stack of books has slowly started to build on my bed's headboard as I'm lacking the space on the shelf... Damn stupid threads and their making me want to buy things.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 52
If you're going to be using a Kindle primarily for pdf's, you might want to consider the Kindle DX instead. It handles pdf's better than the regular Kindle due to it's larger size.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 52

Quote:
If you're going to be using a Kindle primarily for pdf's, you might want to consider the Kindle DX instead. It handles pdf's better than the regular Kindle due to it's larger size.

That one is a little too big. The 6" model is fine. Having PDF support is cool for me because I have all these .pdf manuals that I could be browsing.
I actually just ordered the 3G model, and they're shipping the middle of September. The Amazon description says "3G works globally". OK...

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 52
I do have a kindle DX and replaced with an ipad, since i also want to enjoy movies and reading colored comics, pretty much kindle is great in terms of just reading your fav ebook it does the job quite well.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 52
A good e-Reader, but I would also consider the Nook... Android will only get better with time!

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 52
kindles a clutter if you want to open personal pdfs on it. much better to buy a sony reader or a barnes and nobles nook since they have native pdf support. Kindle you need to mail your pdf to amazon.com and they will zip your converted file over their whispernet 3g data service....

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 52
Surprisingly, the iPad's screen doesn't bother me. Suppose I've gotten used to staring at a LCD all the time. Thanks for the nook tip - I might get one of those instead. I've got all sorts of electronics stuff stored as PDFs and want to consolidate them onto one device.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 52

Quote:
Surprisingly, the iPad's screen doesn't bother me. Suppose I've gotten used to staring at a LCD all the time. Thanks for the nook tip - I might get one of those instead. I've got all sorts of electronics stuff stored as PDFs and want to consolidate them onto one device.

cant say how the nook is but ive gat a sony prs600 and its fab you your own stuff, i have mine flled with pdfs and word files.  works great

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 52
I'm also thinking about the new Kindle, the wifi version because of the new lower price. Don't have space to store books anymore at home (small apartment) so very often I have to give books away after I read them :frowning2:

For me, the primary issue would be availability of books for international users. Not sure the number of books available will be the same for users in US vs other regions due to copyright issues. My understanding is that books have different publishers for different countries, so selling international might be an issue for e-book stores. Can anyone in Asia / Hong Kong confirm this?

I've always thought the Nook looks smarter than the Kindle, but Barnes and Noble doesn't do international e-book sales do they?

Edit : might be of interest to international users

Just read this over at Download Squad. Depends on how you look at it, but the reporter believes Amazon is charging extra international delivery charges when there should be none because it is a wifi only Kindle. At any rate, Amazon seems to charge different book prices in different countries.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/08/30/international-kindle-users-heres-how-amazon-is-screwing-you/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back