Kicking the habit: The quit smoking support thread
Apr 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 54
Zimm good luck! It is not easy but you can do it. I used to smoke 2 packs a day plus a cigar after dinner and a pipe bowl 3-5 times a week. One day I added all the money I was spending and realized that it was way to much, so I quit cold turkey on February 28, 1982. Never looked back and happier for it 27+ years later.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only...The Army doesn't look to kindly on pot.

Erm, yeah with the kind of toys you fellas get to play with, you can hardly blame them.
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 54
My advice: take it hour by hour and day by day. It can be done, and it'll be the best thing you ever do, not only for yourself, but for everybody that loves you.

Good luck!

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 54
I quit after smoking for about 12 years....Twice.

Both times I tapered off my intake in a progression. I gave myself rules no smokes before time x or past time Y. What I was trying to do was eliminate the habitual cigarettes the ones you smoke because it's half past a cigarette.

Once I had eliminated the habitual smokes and was left with just ones I would truly enjoy I had shown myself that I did have some self-control and was able to do so without any sense of depriving myself. Then the enjoyable smokes just kind of phased themselves out over about a period of 2 months.

I did take up smoking again after hitting a bit of a rough patch but was certain that I would be able to quit again and I did.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 54
First and foremost, thank you for your service Zimm. Although I never smoked, I chewed for twenty plus years, and the biggest help for me was to not take the first chew of the day, in your case, cigarette. At first the first chew was early, then progressively later and later in the day. Persistence is the key, and don't knock yourself if and when you fall off the wagon. It is a tough addiction, but it can be beat.

Good luck

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif

p.s. what's your audio rig overseas if any?

I have my transportable rig with me: RWA iMod, V cap dock made by stevenkelby, iQube amp, ALO mini to right angle mini cryo interconnect, APS 75ohm impeadence adaptor and Westone 3. That rig stays in my room, I bring my Zune 120 and JVC HA-FX300's to work.

Day five and I'm going strong. No real urge to smoke.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #22 of 54
dude, good for you!! Remember, your mind is stronger than your body. If you really want to quit for good, its a decision, not a challenge. If you approach it casually, or with a "see if you can" attitude, you will smoke again. Make the decision, and believe in your reasons for doing so. You Will feel like smoking, but your reasons for not doing it will be stronger.

eventually, when you get the urge to smoke, you will just laugh at your weak body and say, "please, grow up! we're done with that!!" lol.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 54
Thanks Keith. I really do want to quit. My mind is in the right place. Right now there is a ton and a half of drama going on over here, 99.9% of it is pure BS. It's really pissing me off. Last week I would be chain smoking. Right now, I don't have the urge to smoke.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude, good for you!! Remember, your mind is stronger than your body. If you really want to quit for good, its a decision, not a challenge. If you approach it casually, or with a "see if you can" attitude, you will smoke again. Make the decision, and believe in your reasons for doing so. You Will feel like smoking, but your reasons for not doing it will be stronger.

eventually, when you get the urge to smoke, you will just laugh at your weak body and say, "please, grow up! we're done with that!!" lol.

Addiction effects chemicals in the brain so your brain tells your body that you need the drug to function. Tobacco on it's own is hardly addictive, but in order for companies like RJ to survive they add super amounts of nicotine to the tobacco to insure users get hooked. They need repeat customers.. Whats a better way then drug addiction.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quit smoking cigarettes after 4 years by switching to pot. Never got any withdrawal symptoms or cravings and pot is way more fun and healthy, I live in California though where it is not illegal...

Pot is NOT legal in California.
The punishment isnt so severe, but it is not legal.

http://www.canorml.org/laws/calmjlaws.html

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #28 of 54
Good for you Zimm, and hang in there. I quit myself about 14-15 months ago after smoking for 20+ years. I used the patch (got them from eBay for a reasonable price, unexpired 10 week supply).

Its great that you already work out; anything you can do to keep your mind off of it will help. I had tried quitting a few times before, usually for up to a month or so, but this time was the charm. Surprisingly I get very few urges to smoke anymore, so it will hopefully be that way for you also. This includes times when I was most used to smoking, such as when having a beer, etc. When those urges hit you, just tell yourself that you are done with that and find something else to do.

Good luck to you!

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #29 of 54
Congratulations to all of you guys (and girls) who are working on quitting. Keep trying, set a quit date, and do it!

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #30 of 54
a cool thing, well not sure about cool but maybe clever thing to do is to try and hate smoking or ciggarettes. try to hate and and be like "no! no more smoking! I WANT to quit!" and then, without giving it a second thought, dump em all out and smash all of them by stomping on them and letting out ur anger that youve built up from hating them. and then when youve done that to all of them, try to be very lazy so u wont go back to the store and get some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back