Kicking the habit: The quit smoking support thread
Apr 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Zimm

100+ Head-Fier
I started smoking in 2003 while deployed to Iraq. Six years later, I am back in Iraq and I have decided to quit smoking. It's been four days and I really haven't gone crazy, yet. Working out helps, so does chewing gum, but I have noticed that I have been eating and snacking a bit more. I am going cold turkey, no patch or special gum.

So, are there any other Head-Fier's out there who have quit themselves, or any current smokers who want to quit? Post here so we can give each other encouragement, support and tips on how to kick the habit.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 54
I am not a smoker, but have been that guy who smokes on weekends when having a few drinks (not anymore however). Just wanted to say, good for you and best of luck...

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 54
I smoked for six years, then chewed for a couple more, then quit cold turkey. It was biatch of course, so here is wishing you the best of luck.

I've been nicotine free for a couple of years and will still get cravings every so often. That stuff is the devil.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 54
Good luck man! I quit cigs after 13 years of smoking last week by switching to pipe smoking, very easy but not much more healthy.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 54
I quit smoking cigarettes after 4 years by switching to pot. Never got any withdrawal symptoms or cravings and pot is way more fun and healthy, I live in California though where it is not illegal...

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 54
Good on you, Zimm.

At my peak, I only smoked two packs a week. Nevertheless, I decided to be done with cigarettes last month, and I'm happy to say that as of today I haven't smoked in eleven days.

Having the benefit of one whole week more of quitting, all I can tell you is that every day is easier than the last. Except those days where you're hanging out drinking with friends who are smoking and then you go and watch "Fear and Loathing". Those days suck.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 54
I smoked for 15 years and must have tried quitting a half dozen times before I finally broke the habit.
Don't worry about the over eating thing; a bit of bulk on your gut and ass is nothing compared to losing a lung or any of myriad other ailments tobacco can bring on.
You're already working out which is great. When you're quitting and going through the withdrawal symptoms, you become hyper aware of your body. Don't fight the nicotine cravings or try to ignore them. It might sound gay but embrace them and accept them for what they are: your body getting better. Enjoy your workouts and pay attention to cardio and getting your lungs working hard. Those lungs will never feel like they did before you took up the weed but exercise can greatly assist in getting you oxygenated and feeling more energetic.
I grew up by a warm sea and used to snorkle and free dive. I had great lungs and practically lived under water.
Not any more alas.

Change all your habits associated with smoking and when the cravings get the better of you, remember that it's just a wall you have to break through and you WILL if you just hang on long enough.

THEN, once you've been off them for a while, you have to remember not to get cocky and decide you can have a puff here and there with a beer or only with those special buddies or whatever excuse you'll dream up.
It's a crap habit and you quit for a reason.
Remember that reason and keep the faith!

In a year's time you'll hate the smell of the things and have contempt for the addicted.
...and you'll feel free.
Not to mention a bit richer.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 54
After smoking for 13 years I quit cold turkey when my wife got pregnant with my daughter 7 1/2 years ago. I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day when I quit. She was quitting as well (this is the reason I quit, to support her) and it was a very difficult time for the first month. We were really at each others throat that fist few days, LOL.

Anyways good luck!

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 54
After 20 years of smoking I finally gave it up cold turkey 16 months ago. Most of the time it's been pretty easy but there will be days when you'll want a smoke. If you do fall off the wagon get right back on it and don't look back.

Good luck on being a non smoker, it feels really good.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quit smoking cigarettes after 4 years by switching to pot.

If only...The Army doesn't look to kindly on pot. Thank you all for the encouragement. About a year ago I had stopped for a month, but started again. A few people at work were getting on my nerves.

I used to smoke the most when out drinking, but I hardly go out just to drink any more in the past two years.

It's only been a few days, but I like not having the smell of smoke on my uniform or skin. Chow is also tasting better.

For those of you who are quiting as well, keep up the good work. We can get through this!

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 54
Heh heh, it's the truth though. Totally sympathize with you though, I started smoking cuz of being out drinking and now it can actually be tough no to pick it up again. When I'm sober cig's smell awful to me and give me a headache now but when I'm drunk I divert back to my primitive ways. I have a feeling that If you can quit smoking while in Iraq, you will be solid once you are back home with friends, I smoke one or two occasionally when I drink and it doesn't bring back da cravin. Also, major props on serving your country, even if this war is dumb IMHO.

p.s. what's your audio rig overseas if any?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 54
This is my little story.

I started smoking around 2 years ago. I'd say on average, I smoked 12 cigarettes a day - not that much, but enough to get addicted. Now, I tried several times to stop during the last few months, to no avail. Tried gums, patches, lozenges, nothing to do. So finally, I decided to buy lower-nicotine cigarettes every new month and work my way down. First few days were rough, because as I was going thru new cigarettes with less nicotine, my body wanted MORE, but I resisted smoking more to compensate and kept going at 12 cigs or so.

Comes last friday, where I decided the time was right. I had been smoking the lowest nicotine cigarettes I could find for a month. On Saturday, I put the 3rd step (7mg) patch on. Cravings were not bad, I could tell the patch didn't give me enough nicotine but it was "easier" to hang on. By bedtime, I removed the patch (to avoid the nightmares), smoked one, felt kinda good, went to sleep.

Sunday, did the same. However, before bedtime, the cigarette wasn't as good anymore... and I could feel my blood pressure going up.

Monday, first day of work w/o smoking. Patch on. Cigarette before bed time, and ugh, bad feeling, blood pressure way high, feeling numb, smoked half.

Tuesday, I went cold turkey, no patches. I could smell my coworkers who smoked from a mile away. Had cravings all day, but held on, until the evening, before dinner. Had to smoke one. And boy, was it... yuk! Smoked half, made me dizzy! Smoked the other half before bedtime, and ugh, dizzy dizzy dizzy.

Today, cold turkey again, but brought one cigarette with me to work. I inhaled 3 puffs before work and maaaan... bad bad thing. Ended up smoking it completely in 3 different settings, everytime going yuk.

My problem at the moment is this : the patches give me too much nicotine, after 2 days of having one cigarette only a day, I don't want to bring my nicotine level back up. I was amazed at how better my sense of smell was already tho. But I still have cravings ; however, the cigarette is almost to the point of disgusting me right now. I sincerely hope this is the good one!

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 54
I used the patch both times I quit, I couldn't have quit without it. I smoked almost 2 packs a day, but found that the highest level of nic patch was too strong. I started at the 2nd level then worked to the 3rd.

I also used the cheaper generic brand the 2nd time I quit and it worked as good as the brand name one.

Good luck man, it's a bitch but it's worth it.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 54
I was a pack-a-day smoker for over 20 years and quit cold turkey in 2005 and have stayed quit ever since.

I'm not sure there is any real "trick" to it other than willpower and determination. You really have to want to quit in order to kick the habbit. My wife continued to smoke after I quit. I never pressured her to give up cigarettes, but I am thankful that she did it on her own about eight months ago.

--Jerome

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 54
Congrats on quitting! If you need some extra incentive for quitting, think of how much more gear you can buy now that you aren't wasting your money on cigs
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back