Kicking off 2016 with a Toronto / GTA meet on Saturday January 30th
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #31 of 138

A room filled with different systems all around, and a bunch of nice people chatting about all things headphone related.

Well, that's the idea.  My typical meet experience includes talking about anything and everything, headphone related or not, sipping on scotch, and if there's something new that I haven't listened to before, spending a few songs with it. That's not often, but with the upcoming meet, the SR007 will make me very happy, and if the HE1000 make another appearance, that would also be great.

I'll also get a chance to showcase a couple of new additions to my system, so that's always fun.

Yup a room filled with like minded people who share a hobby. A typical meet goes, some headphones, a lot of scotch, maybe some camera talk as well between me and some other members (there have been watch discussions as well). Pretty much anything goes..

Pavel, putting words into Aaron's mouth but the he1000 will be making an appearance.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #32 of 138
Oh, aside from sharing a common love for headphones and audio, we're all basically as different as they come. There are jocks, nerds, hipsters, professionals and everything in between. Luckily nobody can deny that leaning back in a chair with a good song played through world-class systems, is enjoyed by all. It's even better with a drink to sip on.

The environment at my meets, as well as most meets I've been to, is basically "Welcome, please enjoy yourself, listen to music, chat with whomever you like, have a drink and have fun."

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #33 of 138
Finally! I've been meaning to attend a meet for YEARS. Excited!

I can bring:

IEM:

- Etymotic ER4-PT (w/ PT to S converter cable) (recent model, not a decade old) w/ original cable and DIY Silver cable

- DUNU DN-2000 hybrid triple driver

- Phonak Audeo PFE132 (same driver as any other PFE1** such as PFE122 or 121)

- Q-tips (for real, how do we usually go about IEM's for these? I'll bring all tips and don't mind washing them after, but what does everyone want for themselves?)

Headphones:

- Hifiman HE-400 (non-i version) orthos with original and DIY silver cable (silver = bright!)

- Fostex T50-rp ortho self-modded to approx supermonkeyglider version

- Fostex T20 ortho original version (round diaphrahm) stock

- Superlux HD-681 w/ recommended Shure earpad mod (the $40 "Budget/killer" with a thousand page thread)

- Koss Portapro

DAC/AMP:

- JDS Labs O2/ODAC stock original design w/ recommended original wall wart.

Source:

- Laptop with 1TB of FLAC

Check out subsonic for a service which lets you bitstream FLAC from your home computer, even to mobile devices (android preferred). You browse your home library in a list and it actually downloads the bare FLAC (over WiFi or data) and then plays it on the phone, storing any downloaded audio as original files for local playback later (if you're on the subway for example). It's highly customizable and by default it is set up to download MP3's straight without transcoding, but automatically transcode any requested FLAC to v0 for example by running ffdmpeg.exe (or other, all with configurable command line parameters) on the server computer and sending the mp3 over the network to be played at the client on the fly.

I really want to try electrostats or orthos with flat FR (maybe on the bright side): Looking to maybe pick something up. Everything in this collection I'm bringing has a "flat" frequency response that matches the equal-loudness contour (maybe a bit brighter or darker here or there). Peakiness isn't my favorite. I would love to hear an electrostatic for the first time :D

Regards :D

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #34 of 138
Last batch of parts ordered for my Bijou build. Hopefully it'll be complete before the meet.

After a bit of reading around the DIY forums, there should be another surprise in the works as well! I'm super excited, but my wallet is seriously crying in shame in the corner! Over $1,500 spent in parts just yesterday... This hobby is EVIL!

Looking forward to seeing the Bijou and this "surprise" aka bringer of tears to wallets everywhere :):beerchug:

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #35 of 138
Looking forward to seeing the Bijou and this "surprise" aka bringer of tears to wallets everywhere
smily_headphones1.gif
beerchug.gif

My wallet has been in tears for weeks and that's even before the $300 I'm expecting to pay just in IMPORT TAX! :frowning2: *cries*

I'm certain it will be a surprise as I doubt anyone has heard this little beast in Canada. :)

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #39 of 138
Just wanna say merry Christmas and happy new year to all you, my audio kindred spirits!
Have a great holiday and see you all in a month. Look forward to killing everyone with bass! :wink:

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #41 of 138

Hi Everyone 
Never been out to one of these events but I've always wanted to go. If the location ends up being wheelchair accessible I'd like to be a part of it. 

The location is wheelchair accessible and I hope you can come. :)

The little surprise build I have in store has been completed and sounds incredible. Can't wait to show it off.

Now I'm on to building a high-end Bijou amplifier, custom EVERYTHING! Just got the panels done and they look awesome! Really not liking the Canadian Dollar right now because just the casework for this project is around $500 :frowning2:

Just gotta get my head down and wire everything up, test it and get ready for a Scotch-laden listening session.

I'll be coming with a fresh pair of HE-1000. You guys better be ready to show off your amps because I'm in the market for a new <$1000 (used) rig to run the new toy off of!

Something of mine will be available :wink:

Just a reminder guys - I have some awesome Cardas solid-core wire and am planning on building a few RCA and XLR interconnects. Please let me know if you want some, only 4-5 available. They'll be in the $60-$80 range - maybe half the cost of other Cardas custom cables and WAY less than the cost of commercial Cardas products!

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #43 of 138
Would anyone be offended if I bring name tags for the group? I'm so bad with names and it would be great to be able to associate real names with forum nicknames. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back