KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #601 of 834
I have been 009s for a month but not many hours of sound, I had already sold the 009 smooth but I had not had a direct comparison.
He uses it with Carbon Kgss and a Merging Nadac, to have more consistency in the low range and to have a more refined high range I used ebony wood Yamamoto it seems to me that the improvement is widely recognized.
I remember that the combo 009 and Carbon gave me a fatigue of listening, now I do not feel it.
Who has listened well to a direct comparison 009 vs 009s could enlighten me?

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #603 of 834
Good kgss Carbon, but maybe I will sell it to get a Stax t8000, the 007 mk2 has a sound a little muddy with a low bass but probably can better reproduce modern music, if you pay attention to detail , jazz e classic music, your way is sure 009/009s .

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #604 of 834
Good kgss Carbon, but maybe I will sell it to get a Stax t8000, the 007 mk2 has a sound a little muddy with a low bass but probably can better reproduce modern music, if you pay attention to detail , jazz e classic music, your way is sure 009/009s .

I recommend you audition the T8000 before changing from a Carbon - the consensus of opinion about the T8000 on Head-Fi and elsewhere seems to be that it is a step or two down, or backwards, from the Carbon. Certainly, the T8000 does not have nearly the amount of power and current drive that the Carbon has, which can be seen by the simple fact that the Carbon draws over twice the power from the AC line as the T8000.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #605 of 834
A dilemma indeed. I found the KGSShv Carbon and 009 was too bright for my ears and emphasised the micro detail and plankton too much. Very entertaining but not realistic I decided.

The 009s is reported to be a bit calmer in the treble, so might sound slightly waker as well. But it is subtle I believe.

I sold my rig and got the LCD4 and use a Violectric V281. I am very happy now. But you have the Viva amplifier and the Susvara, isn't that end game?

I heard the T8000 at Can-Jam last year with my 3 favourite test track on a USB stick. I was a poor sound IMO. The BHSE on the next stand was way ahead. I would estimate the T8000 is incrementally better than my old SRM-717, which was behind (a lot) my KGSShv, which was itself behind the Carbon I got after it.

If you like some of the 007's sound, I would say the Susvara, LCD4 or Abyss do it better in that direction.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #606 of 834
A dilemma indeed. I found the KGSShv Carbon and 009 was too bright for my ears and emphasised the micro detail and plankton too much. Very entertaining but not realistic I decided.

The 009s is reported to be a bit calmer in the treble, so might sound slightly waker as well. But it is subtle I believe.

I sold my rig and got the LCD4 and use a Violectric V281. I am very happy now. But you have the Viva amplifier and the Susvara, isn't that end game?

I heard the T8000 at Can-Jam last year with my 3 favourite test track on a USB stick. I was a poor sound IMO. The BHSE on the next stand was way ahead. I would estimate the T8000 is incrementally better than my old SRM-717, which was behind (a lot) my KGSShv, which was itself behind the Carbon I got after it.

If you like some of the 007's sound, I would say the Susvara, LCD4 or Abyss do it better in that direction.

T8000 is underwhelming indeed:
https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/13002-stax-srm-t8000/

Though I find the SR-007 to easily outclass any HiFiMan (haven't yet tried the Susvara though) and especially Audeze, so really one just needs to decide for themselves here with first hand experience.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #607 of 834
478DE084-9DC0-4278-A9F8-2AF9F7C4E350.jpeg

Viva and Susvara is best sound, for me, yes, of course.
The great problem of the Carbon, is the case, best project but case poor, just now i use Yamamoto wood under and the sound is better, high extensive but not aggressive.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #608 of 834
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #609 of 834

Viva and Susvara is best sound, for me, yes, of course.
The great problem of the Carbon, is the case, best project but case poor, just now i use Yamamoto wood under and the sound is better, high extensive but not aggressive.

Well I could comment on the guy who built that amp, but I won't. Just to say there are better builds of a Carbon, both chassis and parts. He uses his own PS design (scaled back version for size). His Carbon CC was almost an empty case LOL. I have a photo somewhere. But he has a 'cult' following him around.

Changing subject, why Stax didn't nail it and just build a best of the best electrostatic amp and have done with it. No idea.....

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #610 of 834
I went from a LCD-4 + Violectric V281 + Violectric V800 to a SR-007A (unmodded) + SRM-D50.
I prefer the Stax setup a little more. More comfortable and higher build quality and transparency, but I lose some treble smoothness and sub-bass impact. It has very good mid-bass impact though. It seems to be especially good for pop music, acoustic guitar, and jazz.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #611 of 834
Well I could comment on the guy who built that amp, but I won't. Just to say there are better builds of a Carbon, both chassis and parts. He uses his own PS design (scaled back version for size). His Carbon CC was almost an empty case LOL. I have a photo somewhere. But he has a 'cult' following him around.

Changing subject, why Stax didn't nail it and just build a best of the best electrostatic amp and have done with it. No idea.....

Stax tried and screwed up with the T2.

As for spritzer's Carbon, the CC doesn't used a scaled down power supply but still "only" uses one. It goes more all out on parts with the silver wire and volume control but the price hurts.

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #612 of 834
imageproxy.php.jpeg
KGSShv-CC.jpg
8673624.jpg

He designed his own smaller PS board, see pics. The other full spec Carbon has the 'standard' GR boards and the full PS boards with 15v boards. No problem with space in the amp, so can't see why he did that?

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #613 of 834

He designed his own smaller PS board, see pics. The other full spec Carbon has the 'standard' GR boards and the full PS boards with 15v boards. No problem with space in the amp, so can't see why he did that?

Hmm I see. Who built that other Carbon?

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #614 of 834
Hmm I see. Who built that other Carbon?

It was John W Mclean I believe, it looks like his builds. I found it in Google images. He has built a few. Mine was not built by him but the boards were the same. BGer designed a smaller PS for his KGSShv minis, I believer that is where it started. I have read owners of his Mini versions sound different to the full size units. I would buy a full size Carbon if I was on the market for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back