KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #586 of 834
Well, just buy from a known builder and like you said, ask them about specs beforehand (which PSU, what does the output stage run at, ask about any particular components you want to know about). Of course spritzer is the only builder who makes Carbons easily obtainable and his are all outstanding. I mean he has by far the smallest Carbon I have ever seen AND the output stage runs higher than most.

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #587 of 834
@phaeton70

If you read from the start of page 38 to your post here what we know of spritzers 'regular' and 'cc' carbon is covered. Also what some other builders do in their carbons is covered.

But spritzer is always tinkering with things so for a fully up to date run down on his amps it is best to email him.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #588 of 834
ok, I have gone through all the pages of this thread, and... yes, you got me conviced :o2smile: I will buy a Carbon :ksc75smile:

this was my original req in the loooooooong stax thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/page-1049#post-14389155
now I think the Carbon is my best bet.... I will use it with an MSB Analog (or maybe an Auralic Vega, will see), should be a nice matching

I have found an used one inside my budget, Mjolnir build, late 2017, mini all black chassis,

I understand there are various build of this amplifier from Sprizter, with varying mA and PSU and other things, is that correct? how can i check exactly which version I will have? (and, yes, of course as soon as I have the amplifier in my puffy hands I will write to Spritzer.... this is just for the sake of personal knowledge in advance :ksc75smile:)

PS I'm now using a fully reconditioned T1W with Clear Top tubes, and I must say it's a really good experience. really a nice sound, the most surprising thing is the punchy, fast, textured bass... was not expecting this kind of bass.... tbh, I listen to low/mid level, don't like too high volume, but what I'm hearing really satisfy me a lot :o2smile:
If it's from Spritzer, just get on with it, you'll never look back. I sold mine and I'm seriously not happy with that decision. Go for it!

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #589 of 834
+2 for a Spritzer Carbon
I am so happy with mine that after only two weeks I am already thinking about a CC :)

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #590 of 834
Does any one have any info/opinion on the general sound differences, if any, between the KGSSHV Carbon with 400v and one with 450v supply (18-20mA)?
I know equipment will change things but is there a general consensus on sound, using the 009 and 007?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #591 of 834
Does any one have any info/opinion on the general sound differences, if any, between the KGSSHV Carbon with 400v and one with 450v supply (18-20mA)?
I know equipment will change things but is there a general consensus on sound, using the 009 and 007?

Thanks in advance.
Not really, unless you crank it to a deafening volume level, but theoretically it should be a little more dynamic on 450V

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #592 of 834
Thanks for the insight to my previous question. Helped with deciding which power supply would work best for me.

Another question(s):
For a 115v Carbon with a 400v power supply, what is the correct fuse to use? I have read a 2A-250v-Slow Blow is recommended but I thought it was a 3A-250v-Slow Blow?
Will a 4A fuse be dangerous to use on the Carbon, as far as internals go?

Also, why would a fast acting fuse not be used on a Carbon? Is it because the carbon needs high current to start up (which the slow-blow allows)?

Again, thanks for looking into this ahead of time.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #593 of 834
Thanks for the insight to my previous question. Helped with deciding which power supply would work best for me.

Another question(s):
For a 115v Carbon with a 400v power supply, what is the correct fuse to use? I have read a 2A-250v-Slow Blow is recommended but I thought it was a 3A-250v-Slow Blow?
Will a 4A fuse be dangerous to use on the Carbon, as far as internals go?

Also, why would a fast acting fuse not be used on a Carbon? Is it because the carbon needs high voltage current to start up (which the slow-blow allows)?

Again, thanks for looking into this ahead of time.

Stick with 2A or 3A slo blo. Fast acting is not recommended because of the high inrush current at switch-on.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #594 of 834
Great this helps! These systems can get intense.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #595 of 834
Anyone using Birgir's Carbon > Stax 009 from a Chord Dave?

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #596 of 834
Anyone using Birgir's Carbon > Stax 009 from a Chord Dave?

I wish I was! Swap the DAVE for a Hugo 2 and that's me. I've never seen anyone use that combo, I think people tend to go for some sort of warmer, more laid back component in their SR-009 systems. Not me though, if I had the budget that's what I'd go for (well maybe a T2 amp instead).

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #597 of 834
I wish I was! Swap the DAVE for a Hugo 2 and that's me. I've never seen anyone use that combo, I think people tend to go for some sort of warmer, more laid back component in their SR-009 systems. Not me though, if I had the budget that's what I'd go for (well maybe a T2 amp instead).

I, in fact, did havea demo DAVE for a couple days and listened to this system - and was trying to get others takes. I have never heard a DAC like it before; it was amazing - albeit a little fatiguing in my setup. It didn't sound bright, but it was slightly fatiguing nonetheless.

I finally discovered my LDR passive preamp has been contributing to my fatigue. I listened to my Auralic Vega - which is a known brightish DAC - for two hours the past couple nights with much less fatigue. In trying to determine why, I discovered that my passive outputs 5%+ THD.

I loved the DAVE and really want it to work with the system, but I haven't listened to it without the preamp, and can't get it on demo again. That's why I wanted others opinions. I'm close to buying a used DAVE for this reason and because it was exceptional with my LCD-4s and Focal Clear's as well.

I had the same problem with my Bricasti M1, but in terms of brightness I would go Vega>M1>DAVE. Only other Chord DAC I have is a 2 qute which was non-fatiguing with the setup, though had considerably less resolution than the Vega.

I had previously tried the 009S with this system and the M1, but found them too dark and dry.

While the Carbon is a wonderful amp - I'm wondering if Dave-KGST-009 (or another electrostatic amp) would be better than Yggy>Carbon>009. The only other e-stat amp I have is a Stax 717, which is certainly not as good as the Carbon, but is never fatiguing - no matter what I plug into it.

Thinking about taking the plunge on the DAVE regardless, as it works so well with my other headphones. That said, trying to figure out if the Carbon is really the best amp for the 009 specifically (and in that system.)

I see Lojay has a Dave>T2>009 - but it's gonna be impossible to get a T2, and I've read that it's a bit warmer than the Carbon. Frustrating because I had a demo of it, but was using it in suboptimal conditions.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #598 of 834
I, in fact, did havea demo DAVE for a couple days and listened to this system - and was trying to get others takes. I have never heard a DAC like it before; it was amazing - albeit a little fatiguing in my setup. It didn't sound bright, but it was slightly fatiguing nonetheless.

I finally discovered my LDR passive preamp has been contributing to my fatigue. I listened to my Auralic Vega - which is a known brightish DAC - for two hours the past couple nights with much less fatigue. In trying to determine why, I discovered that my passive outputs 5%+ THD.

I loved the DAVE and really want it to work with the system, but I haven't listened to it without the preamp, and can't get it on demo again. That's why I wanted others opinions. I'm close to buying a used DAVE for this reason and because it was exceptional with my LCD-4s and Focal Clear's as well.

I had the same problem with my Bricasti M1, but in terms of brightness I would go Vega>M1>DAVE. Only other Chord DAC I have is a 2 qute which was non-fatiguing with the setup, though had considerably less resolution than the Vega.

I had previously tried the 009S with this system and the M1, but found them too dark and dry.

While the Carbon is a wonderful amp - I'm wondering if Dave-KGST-009 (or another electrostatic amp) would be better than Yggy>Carbon>009. The only other e-stat amp I have is a Stax 717, which is certainly not as good as the Carbon, but is never fatiguing - no matter what I plug into it.

Thinking about taking the plunge on the DAVE regardless, as it works so well with my other headphones. That said, trying to figure out if the Carbon is really the best amp for the 009 specifically (and in that system.)

I see Lojay has a Dave>T2>009 - but it's gonna be impossible to get a T2, and I've read that it's a bit warmer than the Carbon. Frustrating because I had a demo of it, but was using it in suboptimal conditions.

The KGST gives up a lot of fidelity to the Carbon. Perhaps you should go for a BHSE or better yet a Grounded Grid (tubed KGSSHV Carbon)?

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #599 of 834

In my view, and having owned the 009 + Carbon combo for 2 years, I would say the Carbon amp is too bright for that HP. Better going BHSE with NOS Mullards.

I am curious about your LDR Passive. I run a DIY passive which uses a 48 step Elma attenuation with Takman resistors.I think it sounds really good. I suspect Passives can have issue with impedance matching and variation on impedance depending on pot position. So you may be hearing phase shift of FR changes. I can't see a Passive creating distortion though?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #600 of 834
Not sure if Dave have a good Clock inside it ? But I know my LKs004 pricing is so acceptable that I tinkered with it, and upgraded the clock system to OCXO that has 10PPB (10 Part Per Billion) of precision. It has excellent Linear Regulated Power Supply with audiophiles parts all around

I will have to say that the source is important, the DAC is also very very important. The Stax magic is that it can tell you every changes that you have made for your system, even if it is just an extra sweat drop :D

8B8EB671-CE68-43DD-A846-9238E5CABE24.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back