KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jun 2, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #451 of 834
Hello the Staxists,

I've been considering the idea of buying a KGSSHV Carbon for several months, coming from an SRM-727. But with the upcoming Stax SRM-T8000, I'm now quite hesitating.
To be honest, I've been using the 727 in association with a very good preamplifier (a Pass Labs X0.2), bypassing the volume control of the 727, and I had excellent results (better bass response, smoother trebles, better details, etc and as a bonus, I can use the remote control of my preamp).
The SRM-T8000 still has this very useful feature and finally, this could make me go with it instead of the Carbon.
I know Spritzer has already expressed his (negative) thoughts about the use of a separated preamp, but since I had an amazing experience with mine and the 727, I'd like to continue with this kind of association.
I know the KGSSHV Carbon doesn't have a bypass option, but is it like the 727, I mean when the volume control is at its maximum, it's the same thing than bypassing it?

PS: most of the feedbacks concerned the KGSSHV Carbon with the SR-009. I have both the 009 and 007, and I love my 007 as much as my 009, maybe even more. How does the Carbon match with the 007? I like the dark sound of the 007 (I use the MK2 version and I'm completely in love with it) and don't want something bright to compensate it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #452 of 834
Im in same boat here..if i ware you, i d wait more. Stax is developing another new amps acording local japanese info.(web interviews)
727 is 11years old now. so development of new better SS amp is inevitable for stax i guess.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #453 of 834
Hello the Staxists,

I've been considering the idea of buying a KGSSHV Carbon for several months, coming from an SRM-727. But with the upcoming Stax SRM-T8000, I'm now quite hesitating.
To be honest, I've been using the 727 in association with a very good preamplifier (a Pass Labs X0.2), bypassing the volume control of the 727, and I had excellent results (better bass response, smoother trebles, better details, etc and as a bonus, I can use the remote control of my preamp).
The SRM-T8000 still has this very useful feature and finally, this could make me go with it instead of the Carbon.
I know Spritzer has already expressed his (negative) thoughts about the use of a separated preamp, but since I had an amazing experience with mine and the 727, I'd like to continue with this kind of association.
I know the KGSSHV Carbon doesn't have a bypass option, but is it like the 727, I mean when the volume control is at its maximum, it's the same thing than bypassing it?

PS: most of the feedbacks concerned the KGSSHV Carbon with the SR-009. I have both the 009 and 007, and I love my 007 as much as my 009, maybe even more. How does the Carbon match with the 007? I like the dark sound of the 007 (I use the MK2 version and I'm completely in love with it) and don't want something bright to compensate it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
I don't see any issue with running a preamp into a Carbon. Yes, setting the volume at max should be an effective bypass -- especially if your Carbon has a stepped attenuator. Just be careful to never unwittingly hook in a full line-level signal with the headphones in! I've thought about trying my preamp into the BHSE or Carbon, to give a Koetsu Jade (low-output MC cartridge) the extra gain it needs. Digital sources are plenty hot enough to use without an active preamp's extra gain, but as you noted the preamp's functionality may be desired, and of course the sonic signature of some tube preamps is just downright pleasant -- I quite like mine; a Rogue Hera II running an octet of 6H30pi, with plenty of gain on tap.

And the 007 matches superbly with a Carbon -- great amp for a 007 lover.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #454 of 834
Or even easier (and cheaper) get a Carbon without volume control, that's what I will do.
I have SR-007A, the current "mk2.9" version, and did the port mod, put MK1 springs on the earpads and bended the front arcs a bit, now the fit and sound is perfect. The Carbon should be the ultimate amp for the 007.

Future plans for me are: 007 > Carbon (no volume control ) > Metrum Adagio (DAC/Preamp) > Auralic Aries.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #455 of 834
the bypass switch on some srm727's does just that, bypass the pot completely and allow .6 volts rms input to max out the voltage swing of the amplifier.
i'm sure that any carbon builder would add a bypass switch if that is what you want.

Jun 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #456 of 834
Great news. Thank you everybody for all your replies.

Stax is developing another new amps acording local japanese info.(web interviews)

Wow, do you have some link/url for me? I check Stax news almost every day and did not see anything related to a new solid state amp.
I like the comfort of solid state amplifiers and if I could, I'd go with one instead of a tube amplifier. This is one of the reasons of my interest for the Carbon.

Yes, setting the volume at max should be an effective bypass -- especially if your Carbon has a stepped attenuator.

Great. Let's say, in a forum I often read, there is for sale a used Carbon from Mjolnir audio. Do you confirm that on this kind of model, a volume set at max is equivalent to a bypass?
Is it actually the case for any integrated amp? (And so, this bypass option is totally useless since you just have to put the volume at max to bypass it)

Or even easier (and cheaper) get a Carbon without volume control, that's what I will do.

I prefer to avoid this. I can't say if some day in the future, I may be in the need of using the amp as an integrated one. I prefer to get an optional volume control, it's safer.

I saw Spritzer proposes now "CC" versions of the Carbon, with bigger power supply if I'm not wrong. Does somebody here have tested one of them and are them really better than the original Carbons? They are a lot more expensive...
Same question with the upcoming SRM-T8000. I know it has only been visible in very rare shows, mostly in Japan so I don't expect an answer, but do some of you have auditionned it and what would be the differences with the Carbon?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #457 of 834
Great. Let's say, in a forum I often read, there is for sale a used Carbon from Mjolnir audio. Do you confirm that on this kind of model, a volume set at max is equivalent to a bypass?

Any amplifier where the volume control is right after the input, setting the volume control at maximum essentially bypasses it. This would include any of the Gilmore designs, the Stax amps, etc.

Jun 4, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #458 of 834
Most of stepped attenuators at max volume is a by-pass, Most that I came across in experiences so far.
Any amplifier where the volume control is right after the input, setting the volume control at maximum essentially bypasses it. This would include any of the Gilmore designs, the Stax amps, etc.

The best Solid state ATM is Circlotron ? Then next up is Carbon from KG :)

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #459 of 834

Wow, do you have some link/url for me? I check Stax news almost every day and did not see anything related to a new solid state amp.
I like the comfort of solid state amplifiers and if I could, I'd go with one instead of a tube amplifier. This is one of the reasons of my interest for the Carbon

here is the link;
http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=31445 (in japanese)
they said they are developing cheaper version of T8000.(possibility of SS amp? i guess)
and 727 was released 6 years later after 717 relased. so its about time.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #460 of 834
Most of stepped attenuators at max volume is a by-pass, Most that I came across in experiences so far.

Not just stepped attenuators, regular pots are the same, at maximum volume it's a direct connection between input and output. Crank any pot to maximum volume and measure the resistance from input to output - it's essentially zero ohms.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #461 of 834

I saw Spritzer proposes now "CC" versions of the Carbon, with bigger power supply if I'm not wrong. Does somebody here have tested one of them and are them really better than the original Carbons? They are a lot more expensive...
Same question with the upcoming SRM-T8000. I know it has only been visible in very rare shows, mostly in Japan so I don't expect an answer, but do some of you have auditionned it and what would be the differences with the Carbon?

The "bigger" psu is in reference to his other Carbons, not the standard Carbon - Spritzer has always used a different psu than what KG had originally published for the Carbon.

Jun 4, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #462 of 834
KGSShv-CC.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #465 of 834
I see, so the bigger the psu the better? Can you explain why Sprizters psu being smallish to your eyes would be a disadvantage?
What constitutes a good psu for a $5500 amp, have you any examples in mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back