KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jun 5, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #466 of 834
To put it simply, the power supply provides the raw material that the amplifier uses to produce the output that drives the headphones. An ideal power supply will provide as much current as needed with no change in power supply voltage and no noise or other artifacts. To put it another way, a perfect power supply will have a zero output impedance at any frequency, and zero noise. A perfect power supply does not exist. The alternatives for a power supply are passive (e.g. capacitors, and resistors, or rarely, chokes) or active. As a general rule active power supplies come closer to the ideal than passive power supplies, especially in the bass frequencies, where capacitors have a rising impedance inversely proportional to the frequency.

Power supplies do affect the sound, particularly at bass frequencies. Most prefer the "sound" of active power supplies to passive, although a minority feels that active power supplies sound "electronic" or "artificial." Kevin Gilmore has designed a number of active power supplies, ranging from relatively simple ones which take up relatively little space, to more complex, higher performance power supplies which occupy more real estate, and are more expensive (moliere parts). The higher performance ones have lower impedance and lower noise. Spritzer prefers to build smaller amps which use the simpler power supplies - they are probably less expensive to ship, and he does not feel that the difference in performance is particularly significant. However, others prefer to have amps with the more complex power supplies, which offer higher ultimate performance but are bigger, heavier, and more expensive. In my limited experience, a better power supply can result in stronger dynamics, more space and blacker background. The significance of these differences will vary from one audiophile to another. Since the Gilmore amps and power supplies are on separate circuit boards, the builder can mix and match, and a custom builder can build whatever the client wants.

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #468 of 834
Those also look like early Carbon amp PCBs that Spritzer is using. They have a single 10M90S CCS feeding each SiC, not the later version with the improved performance cascode CCS with additional DN2450.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #470 of 834
IMG_2069.JPG
It appears he's still using the first design Carbon PCBs, before Kerry added the opto servo, and with attribution to JimL on the cascode.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #472 of 834
Well, the cascode current source is clearly a technical improvement - comes significantly closer to an ideal current source, and wastes a negligible amount of signal current. I haven't listened to both versions to see if it makes an audible improvement, but it should reduce distortion in the output device as the amount of current variation with signal is decreased.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #473 of 834
Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I suppose if one were to chase after that last bit in transparency and resolution, it would make perfect sense to have the newer parts.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #474 of 834
Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I suppose if one were to chase after that last bit in transparency and resolution, it would make perfect sense to have the newer parts.

This is not aimed directly at you, but for the general, and I quoted your saying is because it is true that every last bit of quality are always desired in this forever progressing world of hi-fi audio

These are DIY models, and so any builder including Spritzer can also mix and match and custom it to your heart contents....the question is, would you pay for it ? Will your pocket money be where your desire is ? I have seen a lot of people to expect the best out of minimum spending, and while it is true that anyone would want to be the same, but for once, put yourself in the foots steps of the builders and try to be compassionate. In the end, you can not make it yourself, and you want reputable builder with top tier build and parts. Then you pay for it.

The most efficient and cheapest way is to Do It Yourself, period.

If you are about budget, then let your builder do what he think is best, if you are about top and very best, then let your builder know to do it as well but stretch out your pocket

It is always easy to sit, look and criticize, until you are put to work and make it, and then trying to produce it for other people and face their demanding....damn...I don't even know how Justin do it lol...

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #475 of 834
Well as in all things, generally you get what you pay for. Then again, the very best components that money can buy does not in itself guarantee the very best built gear. Many times I've listened to relatively budget gear and they sound so good I wonder why I'd pour more money for so called higher end gear.

Of course it all boils down to personal taste but society expectations is such that people generally equate price to standard of quality.

Unfortunately I do not have the deep pockets to experience what a totl gear sounds like so I may be wrong all together.

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #478 of 834

I am not sure it is 'last bit in transparent and resolution' TBH, I would suggest the later PS designs improve on the earlier ones referring back to the many posts about this subject at the other place. If there is a later version (optimised and simply better) PS available for the Carbon that also uses the extra LV boards, then I would buy that one myself. I am not obsessed with a small footprint, and certainly would not want to compromise the sound either.

I am delighted with my Carbon, it sounds wonderful with the 009s, and is well ahaed of my previous KGSShv which was itself a great amp for the 009s or 007s. And the KGSShv was way way better than my previous Stax 717 amp and other Stax amps I listened to.

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #479 of 834
I am not sure it is 'last bit in transparent and resolution' TBH, I would suggest the later PS designs improve on the earlier ones referring back to the many posts about this subject at the other place. If there is a later version (optimised and simply better) PS available for the Carbon that also uses the extra LV boards, then I would buy that one myself. I am not obsessed with a small footprint, and certainly would not want to compromise the sound either.

I am delighted with my Carbon, it sounds wonderful with the 009s, and is well ahaed of my previous KGSShv which was itself a great amp for the 009s or 007s. And the KGSShv was way way better than my previous Stax 717 amp and other Stax amps I listened to.
So I a very lucky, received a Mjolnir Carbon a few weeks ago. It is one of the best amps I've ever heard. However before placeing my final order I asked spritzer whether I would be better off investing in the

Before finalising my order with Spritzer for my Carbon I asked whether I would be better with the CC. He was very honest with me and said probably not worth the difference. I believe if you refer to his site he states that the CC is for people who need to pay more for a
Carbon and is a test bench for new components or words to that effect. He is a great and honest no bull person to deal with.

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #480 of 834
I would say do your own research and talk to builders and fellow enthusiasts. For us who do not have the luxury of auditioning these Diy amps the only way is to rely on others opinions or purchase the amp and listen with it first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back