KG CFA3 headphone amp
Oct 24, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,712 of 1,794
glad to see you keeping us on our toes....perhaps you have answered this but how do you think the new cFA3 version coming soon will compare with your versions or mine lol
It's hard to say how they will differentiate in sound without having heard their rendition. Will probably be a smaller difference if I had to guess.

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,715 of 1,794
Do you think CF3 (I am in the pre-order) will give something more than the gs-x mini I own ?
My headphone are HD650 and I am using them in balanced.
Yes. Different class of sound.

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #1,716 of 1,794
Just got my CFA3 back from Dukei after it developed a wee problem (Miroslav was great to deal with as usual). I’ve been using my old Moon 430 and the difference is huge. Very glad to have it back.

Still toying with ordering a 300B pre-amp but the CFA3 just sounds so good as it is. I really like the look of the Supratek (would be even better for me if Mick was in Sydney/Melbourne instead of W Australia) but I can’t decide if an Envy would be a better option (as i could use it as both a stand-alone and a pre-amp). If someone has used the Envy into a CFA3 please let me know how it went.

And if anyone is interested in portable audio - I got a 320Max Ti a month ago. The best compliment I can give it is that it’s like a mini CFA3….The sound signature and sense of power is very familiar to my ears. It can even power my Susvaras.

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #1,717 of 1,794
Just got my CFA3 back from Dukei after it developed a wee problem (Miroslav was great to deal with as usual). I’ve been using my old Moon 430 and the difference is huge. Very glad to have it back.

Still toying with ordering a 300B pre-amp but the CFA3 just sounds so good as it is. I really like the look of the Supratek (would be even better for me if Mick was in Sydney/Melbourne instead of W Australia) but I can’t decide if an Envy would be a better option (as i could use it as both a stand-alone and a pre-amp). If someone has used the Envy into a CFA3 please let me know how it went.

And if anyone is interested in portable audio - I got a 320Max Ti a month ago. The best compliment I can give it is that it’s like a mini CFA3….The sound signature and sense of power is very familiar to my ears. It can even power my Susvaras.
I have both of these amps, but I havent had the chance to test it out as of yet. I'll test it out and let you know.
Fwiw I only have the stock tubes on the envy, so I have no point of reference in terms of what WE or Elrogs would sound like with it, but its pretty impressive thus far.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #1,718 of 1,794
I have both of these amps, but I havent had the chance to test it out as of yet. I'll test it out and let you know.
Fwiw I only have the stock tubes on the envy, so I have no point of reference in terms of what WE or Elrogs would sound like with it, but its pretty impressive thus far.
Please do. Very interested in your thoughts.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #1,719 of 1,794
Hello everyone, I'm the new crew here, and I'm thrilled to be on board with all of you.

Know about CFA3 by chance when researching DIY T2 for my X9000, I immediately wanted to give it a try because, from what I read, it seemed like a powerful amplifier at a very reasonable cost compared to other choices on the market.

Being located in Vietnam makes it difficult for me to rely on reputable builders that many of you often mention here. Our country has strict regulations on importing DIY electronics, and the shipping fees for heavy items like this amplifier are extremely high. Fortunately, after some searching, I found a really nice guy who lives near me and happens to have experience in building DIY amps. He was willing to build the amp for me at a very low cost, mainly covering the component expenses. In fact, this was the first time he intended to build a CFA3, so it was kind of a fun project for him.

It wasn't as straightforward as I initially thought. There were challenges like interference caused by the transformers' location, difficulties in implementing the switching mode toggle (forcing us to settle for ZF mode only), choosing the right attenuator... However, after one month of hard work and problem-solving, the amplifier was successfully built and operated flawlessly.

I'm truly satisfied with how the amp sounds. It's an absolute bliss - the Susvara paired with this amp is a treat for the ears. The bass is simply phenomenal, offering depth, impact, and exceptional control. The mids are rich, lush, and brimming with detail, lending a natural, lifelike quality to vocals. The soundstage is expansive and immersive, and the separation and imaging are top-notch. While I could use these words to describe various combos, this one is on a completely new level for my ears.

Although I initially intended to have it built for the Susvara, the amp exhibits excellent synergy with the Focal Utopia and HD800s as well due to its slightly warm tonal character. An additional bonus is the speaker taps; the CFA3 drives my speakers really well. I only need to turn the volume knob 2 or 3 steps higher compared to the Susvara, and they perform beautifully.

With this amp, I believe I'll settle for a long time before considering any upgrades.

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0404_jpg.jpeg

IMG_0403_jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,720 of 1,794
What volume control do you have installed?
I see you used Bingzi transformers, are they better than Talema?

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #1,721 of 1,794
What volume control do you have installed?
I see you used Bingzi transformers, are they better than Talema?
Initially, we employed an RK27 potentiometer, but it presented challenges related to channel balance. To achieve the desired balance, it was necessary to turn the vol knob beyond 10 o'clock. Subsequently, we made the transition to a custom-made stepped attenuator equipped with Dale resistors.
As for the transformers, Talema did not offer a 50W model, so we opted for Bingzi instead.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #1,722 of 1,794
Finally ready to be shipped. Dukei also made an attenuator box to be used with sensitive headphones.

IMG_3157.jpeg
IMG_3160.jpeg
IMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpeg

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #1,723 of 1,794
Finally ready to be shipped. Dukei also made an attenuator box to be used with sensitive headphones.

IMG_3157.jpegIMG_3160.jpegIMG_3151.jpeg
IMG_3152.jpeg

Looks amazingly built as we have come to expect from Dukei, very well made and super impressive. I’m slowly collecting parts to do something sort of similar, thanks to kindness giving me some pointers. The DIY community aspect of this is awesome.

Do you have a regular CFA 3 to compare to?

I will be very curious your impressions.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #1,724 of 1,794
Looks amazingly built as we have come to expect from Dukei, very well made and super impressive. I’m slowly collecting parts to do something sort of similar, thanks to kindness giving me some pointers. The DIY community aspect of this is awesome.

Do you have a regular CFA 3 to compare to?

I will be very curious your impressions.
Yes I do have a regular CFA3 👍🏼

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #1,725 of 1,794
Yes I do have a regular CFA3 👍🏼
Looking forward to the comparison.

After 12 months of pointless prevarication on my part and with great encouragement from reading this thread I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 300B DHT Cabernet pre-amp from Supratek. I was keen on the idea of an Envy as it could double up as a pre-amp and a stand-alone amp. But my instincts (and this thread) lead me to go all in on the pre-amp/CFA3 combination and then get the best tubes I can when Elrogs become available again (especially as I don’t know how the Envy performs as a preamp).

Estimated wait time is only 4 weeks which is better than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back