KG CFA3 headphone amp
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #1,682 of 1,794
well ill jump on the bandwagon as well. my maxed out cfa3 is for sale as well.. I want to buy the new smaller version. ultra low price
nice price!

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,683 of 1,794
well ill jump on the bandwagon as well. my maxed out cfa3 is for sale as well.. I want to buy the new smaller version. ultra low price
I'm clueless when it comes to transformers and voltages. Are you using one yourself or know which type of transformer is needed to run this?
EDIT: oh wait it's from EU, nvm sorry Im from NA... the excitement got the best of me

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #1,685 of 1,794
I believe the CFA3P isn't about hot-rodding the CFA3. Dr. Gilmore is adjusting the design so that it can drive speakers (and power hungry planars) more effortlessly. Based on that new design, Dukei added his own design elements and admittedly he went all out and this new CFA3P is a bit beefier than originally intended.

In terms of parts used, I played a part in asking Dukei to use the best parts possible, and he did give his advice which ones are worth it and which ones are not. As an example, I wanted to use AN Kaisei caps throughout the build and it turns out that they're costing so much more. Also, the benefit of using expensive caps are negligible since in this design, the caps are not in the signal path anyway.

The initial tests that he did was using HE6v2 and it's very positive. He said he'll chime in later on this thread as well.

I'm probably to blame for the AN Kaisei entering the conversation, as well as other boutique parts getting added.

To be clear I agree with Dukei- while I do hear improvements, in absolute terms its minor. It is especially minor if you pick reasonable caps (i'm not a fan of Slimics, but I like even the basic Nichicon fine gold). We are all chasing that last %, and tinkering right? That said, I bought my caps on sale, and i'm doing my own work. I'm well upside down in terms of having way more in parts cost than they go for here. But i'm here as hobbyist, i'm not selling or building for anyone (i've politely declined, when asked). Learned the hard way I don't enjoy turning my hobbies into gigs (thankfully enjoying photography again).

I'm curious to build the CFA3P/CFP3Large. Thats a huge case. @normie610 I wonder how much bias and heat dissipation it will end up with? Those heat sinks are imposing.

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #1,686 of 1,794
I'm probably to blame for the AN Kaisei entering the conversation, as well as other boutique parts getting added.

To be clear I agree with Dukei- while I do hear improvements, in absolute terms its minor. It is especially minor if you pick reasonable caps (i'm not a fan of Slimics, but I like even the basic Nichicon fine gold). We are all chasing that last %, and tinkering right? That said, I bought my caps on sale, and i'm doing my own work. I'm well upside down in terms of having way more in parts cost than they go for here. But i'm here as hobbyist, i'm not selling or building for anyone (i've politely declined, when asked). Learned the hard way I don't enjoy turning my hobbies into gigs (thankfully enjoying photography again).

I'm curious to build the CFA3P/CFP3Large. Thats a huge case. @normie610 I wonder how much bias and heat dissipation it will end up with? Those heat sinks are imposing.
It is a taller case compared to standard DIY CFA3 but narrower (4U size). Regarding the bias, Dukei told me it's 200mV, with heat measured on the heatsinks at around 55-60 degrees Celsius.

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #1,687 of 1,794
It is a taller case compared to standard DIY CFA3 but narrower (4U size). Regarding the bias, Dukei told me it's 200mV, with heat measured on the heatsinks at around 55-60 degrees Celsius.
Actually that’s better than I expected. 200 is where I bias mine in winter. Summer all my office can tolerate is 185 (too much other heat load from my work IT stuff).

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #1,688 of 1,794
Actually that’s better than I expected. 200 is where I bias mine in winter. Summer all my office can tolerate is 185 (too much other heat load from my work IT stuff).
Yes not too bad indeed. I always have the AC in my room turned on so it won't be an issue (bearing in mind that the weather in my country is pretty much "summer" all year).

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #1,690 of 1,794
Oct 4, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,691 of 1,794
My CFA3 with the external power supply doesn't get nearly as hot as my first version which had the power supply inside and could heat my entire basement. This one dissipates heat really well.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,693 of 1,794
From what I hear...
SS = Super Symmetry is a little quieter and maybe because of the little further back in presentation.
ZF = Zero Feedback is a little more forward and a little more dynamic and power.

I personally like the SS but most like the ZF.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,694 of 1,794
I noticed on the headamp CFA-3 there is a switch for "SS" or "ZF". Can someone explain what these mean technically and in terms of sonic results?
Most of us prefer the ZF, I did not even bother to build in a switch. Actually did not implement gain switch either (using discrete stepped relay driven volume), and everything is hard wired. Maybe that’s why mine is dead silent? It’s a great design and unique that it’s a powerful, zero feedback class A design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back