KG CFA3 headphone amp
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #1,621 of 1,794
1692335976284.jpeg

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #1,622 of 1,794
Aug 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,624 of 1,794
@normie610, will your new CFA-3P measure higher noise than the non "p" model?

Also- a question for the technically minded (which I am not): When our CFA-3's are on low gain vs high gain- is the amount of power output driving our headphones the same and only the gain is changing- or is the power being delivered to the headphones less in low gain?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,625 of 1,794
will your new CFA-3P measure higher noise than the non "p" model?
if what you mean by noise is the one that's related to sensitive headphones, then perhaps yes.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,626 of 1,794
Also- a question for the technically minded (which I am not): When our CFA-3's are on low gain vs high gain- is the amounbt of power output driving our headphones the same and only the gain is changing- or is the power being delivered to the headphones less in low gain?
If you switch from high to low gain at a given volume knob setting, the voltage driving the headphone will decrease, hence the power delivered to it will decrease. Low gain requires a higher volume knob setting to achieve the same output voltage/power, but at any given SPL, the power being delivered to the headphone is the same regardless of gain setting.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,628 of 1,794
So let me ask you if this is correct then:

If I like a certain song played at a certain volume on high gain, and I reproduce that exact same volume on low gain by moving the volume knob up- I should have the same power being delivered to the headphones? Yet- usually on lower gain- even if the volume would be the same as a high setting with the volume knob lower,- wouldnt there be less noise making the lower gain option preferable; or would the noise output be the same?

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #1,631 of 1,794
So let me ask you if this is correct then:

If I like a certain song played at a certain volume on high gain, and I reproduce that exact same volume on low gain by moving the volume knob up- I should have the same power being delivered to the headphones? Yet- usually on lower gain- even if the volume would be the same as a high setting with the volume knob lower,- wouldnt there be less noise making the lower gain option preferable; or would the noise output be the same?
Yes, lower gain will lower the noise floor at a given SPL, but whether you'll perceive a difference depends on the sensitivity of your headphones, your hearing acuity, and the actual noise performance of the amp. I usually set amp gain to optimize the usability of my preamp's volume control in any given setup. FWIW.

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #1,632 of 1,794
Progress marches on with tweaking voicing. Was able to get the AN Kaisei caps into the power supply (made by Rubycon). Tight fit and required some creativity. They sound great especially compared to the Slimic II.

Also as you may note from the pictures, I installed pins so the voltage setting resistors can be changed around to slightly tweak the voltage, if desired. I was running 24.5, but went back to 24 after the power supply changes to go back to baseline before making more tweaks. Also, its summer and its hot in my office.

Now I really have no excuses to finish off the case work. If I do it myself it will look like a 3rd grader did it, but i'm worried about the cost of paying a machinist for a one off design (have an idea what I want). Sigh.

Attachments

• CFA3 Power.jpeg
    CFA3 Power.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back