KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jul 11, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #1,531 of 1,794
@justin w. when do you think we will have the bench numbers?

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #1,533 of 1,794
I haven't seen a request for a pre-out until now...if it were anything, it would be a speaker output. Originally the plan was for 2x XLR inputs and 1x RCA input which is all I can fit on the back, but I realized I could change one of the XLR inputs to 4.4mm or even a 4-pin XLR in; this would possibly allow enough space to add a 4-pin Neutrik SpeakOn for speaker outs, which takes up less space than binding posts. So that is a possibility but haven't come to any decisions yet

For the outputs..4-pin XLR for sure, 4.4mm not sure, 6.3mm wish I could exclude it as I think the amp is better used balanced out. 2x 3-pin XLR out a very distant possibility if balanced outputs only.

The first 2 chassis did arrive today! Have to get everything moved over from the clear CanJam prototype asap. here it is next to that prototype for comparison. note: this is for the version with no remote control

For help with scale, take a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and hold it about 4.5" above your desk
Sooo sexy!

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #1,537 of 1,794
My idea was to use one transformer with 2x24v secondary and use this (split) for both grlv,. Another possibly will be to use one transferred with 4x24v or simply 2 with 2x24v each. Is only place problem... For one cfa3 + grlv is 100 va with 2x24v AC ok? Or better 2x25v?
Andreas

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #1,538 of 1,794
you cannot do that. lots of ground loops. many dead components.
2 grlv require 4 seperate secondaries.
synchronous rectifier boards highly recommended.

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,539 of 1,794
I haven't seen a request for a pre-out until now...if it were anything, it would be a speaker output. Originally the plan was for 2x XLR inputs and 1x RCA input which is all I can fit on the back, but I realized I could change one of the XLR inputs to 4.4mm or even a 4-pin XLR in; this would possibly allow enough space to add a 4-pin Neutrik SpeakOn for speaker outs, which takes up less space than binding posts. So that is a possibility but haven't come to any decisions yet

For the outputs..4-pin XLR for sure, 4.4mm not sure, 6.3mm wish I could exclude it as I think the amp is better used balanced out. 2x 3-pin XLR out a very distant possibility if balanced outputs only.

The first 2 chassis did arrive today! Have to get everything moved over from the clear CanJam prototype asap. here it is next to that prototype for comparison. note: this is for the version with no remote control

For help with scale, take a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and hold it about 4.5" above your desk
This is the first amp in a little while to catch my attention. Stoked that it's coming in a black chastity, considering all the other components in my system (minus the Burson Soloist) are all black aluminum. I know sound is the most important thing, but aesthetics does come into play just a bit. Was on the fence of making a deposit and after reading some reviews from DIY built versions, I'm confident this will be a great addition to the system.

Judging from the internals and comparing with similar amps, I think $3.8k-$4k is a pretty decent asking price. Can't wait to potentially receive this amp in the FALL.

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,541 of 1,794
Justin,

Is there anyway to allow for lower gain output option so that easier to drive headphones like Meze Elite, or Th-900 can also be driven from the CFA-3?

WHy limit the amp to work with hard to drive planners???

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,543 of 1,794

will it still have the digital display volume indicator ?

also whats the volume pot in this ?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #1,545 of 1,794
I know this is jumping the gun a little, but is there any indication of how the Headamp CFA3 will perform against the GS-X Mini? My A90D just died and will take up to 3 months for repair so I'm exploring options to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back