KG CFA3 headphone amp
Feb 21, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #871 of 1,794
I am sure as my CFA3 employs SS > ZF, you may opt for a switchable stage. This build does not implement such function.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #872 of 1,794
CFA Hybrid:

Very clean with a sweet insight. Doesn't seem as brute or, say, as dynamically explosive but nothing too rounded nor bloomed.
Vocal presence carries a more forward and bodied fullness ( not a density) while treble extension seems more softened lacking that crispness or my favored flowery crystalline peering. Bass delineation certainly feels slower with less control and stage cues don't seem as wide nor immediate in nature.

IMG_20220221_134734.jpg
Do you prefer the hybrid or CFA3 combo w/ Freya+?

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #873 of 1,794
Do you prefer the hybrid or CFA3 combo w/ Freya+?
When I run MELZ 1578, nothing hits the same spot. I'm going to run quad MELZ for fun.

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #875 of 1,794
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #876 of 1,794
thanks paradoxper for the thoughts! How are the temps on the amp? Also any feedback on holography between the 2 amps?

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #877 of 1,794
It sounds like the Hybrid does to the CFA-3 all the classic things one expects tubes to do.

1. It rounds the sound a bit.
2. Sounds fuller.
3. Sound is less crisp.
4. Bass is somewhat compromised. I believe SS is always better in that department.
5. Sweeter than non-hybrid.

Glad to know it is very clean and not to warm...

Paradoxper, if you could only have one headphone amp (no pre option in this theoretical Q), between the ss and hybrid- which would you take?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #878 of 1,794
thanks paradoxper for the thoughts! How are the temps on the amp? Also any feedback on holography between the 2 amps?
Nominal due to the efficient heatsinking. Things run warm on the amp and slightly cooler with the power supply. The Freya burns comparatively.
Holography is where the Hybrid lacks on context of expectations, decay envelopes are too quick to really give that sense of dimension to instruments, however, the soundscape is wider than the CFA3 and provides more depth so sound cues operate in that larger tube plain.

In comparison the MELZ 1578 aids in more air and more dimension of sound with a distinct sweetness that runs through the midrange without providing congestion,
this is present in bass extension as well which is fuller and only slightly less immediate than just the CFA3.

The bigger question would be CFA3 + pre strength/weakness vs Hybrid and I'm wading through. The Hybrid is better than most solid state I've ever heard with exceptions to CFA3/Dynahi and on a different operation the ECP amps which present more tube like funny enough.

It sounds like the Hybrid does to the CFA-3 all the classic things one expects tubes to do.

1. It rounds the sound a bit.
2. Sounds fuller.
3. Sound is less crisp.
4. Bass is somewhat compromised. I believe SS is always better in that department.
5. Sweeter than non-hybrid.

Glad to know it is very clean and not to warm...

Paradoxper, if you could only have one headphone amp (no pre option in this theoretical Q), between the ss and hybrid- which would you take?
4. Bass is still better defined than the 13R or, say, Formula S. Those amps present overt bloom. A much cleaner top to bottom than a AIC-10 also of hybrid topology.
5. Sweeter with better presence of texture and sense of realness or natural presentation.

6. Hybrid holography and air isn't as saturated as a traditional tube skewing toward solid-state technicality and superior control.

If forced, as much as I may enjoy the cohesion of a Primavera or reverb of the MELZ with the middle-ground aiming to the hybrid, I love the overt dynamic nature and incisive detail of the CFA3, so the CFA3 is my preference.

Or a high current DIY T2 as that remains a benchmark of perfection would suit me.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #879 of 1,794
Thank paradoxper. Can't wait to see how the amp changes with diff tubes, but that's something for another future discussion.

Just for anyone curious the amp is currently using new production EH 6922 tubes.

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #880 of 1,794
… meanwhile in Sweden 😍

C6B4603D-A512-46F5-8448-B2678883F0A9.jpeg

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #882 of 1,794
Feb 22, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #883 of 1,794
Yeah but I am not alone as you can see 😀 the family is growing
Wow, one CFA3 for each headphone in your collection?

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #885 of 1,794
Ahah sorry! I just figured out I replied in a funny bad way.

Ofc I am not getting 3 CFA3 :)

Those are the new babies under construction and only one will be mine

🤖👾🤖

Users who are viewing this thread

Back