KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jan 31, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #811 of 1,794
raal is coming out with an interface that will allow you to use a regular HP amp without the 100 watts of power with the sr1a.....apparently in february when they put out the new HP..we shall see but it is interesting

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #812 of 1,794
What feature(s) do I need to have built into my CFA-3 to use the SR1a and the interface box? I assume just XLR outs? Is this correct?
My CFA3 only had the 4 pin XLR headphone output so I had someone here build a 4 pin XLR male to speaker taps adapter. If you have a build with speaker outs you can use the cables that come included with the interface between the amp and interface.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #813 of 1,794
What feature(s) do I need to have built into my CFA-3 to use the SR1a and the interface box? I assume just XLR outs? Is this correct?
Ask the builder to put speaker taps.

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #816 of 1,794
I am not very technically minded- but I thought the SR1a needs speaker amp. power. True the CFA-3 is the most ridiculously powerful headphone amp around- but still not like a powerful speaker amp???

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #817 of 1,794
I am not very technically minded- but I thought the SR1a needs speaker amp. power. True the CFA-3 is the most ridiculously powerful headphone amp around- but still not like a powerful speaker amp???
I don’t know the technical aspect either but the SR1a really shines with CFA3 in my setup.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #818 of 1,794
Which version and where do you buy these MELZ tubes and which other tubes do you use in the Freya?
They are becoming increasingly difficult to find. They're the 1578 perforated plate. I also had great results with the Ken-Rad VT231 and RCA grey glass as the cathode follower pair. A second favorite are the Hytron.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #819 of 1,794
I don’t know the technical aspect either but the SR1a really shines with CFA3 in my setup.
It's not that shiny though. The HSA-1b isn't particularly good to begin. Try the SR1a with the uberamp.

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #820 of 1,794
Every time I hear about miraculous tube sonics I get excited and then I realize, I don't want to get into $500 NOS tubes and tube rolling. It is a never ending hole of experimentation and will make me broke. Perhaps it sounds incredible, but I may just live with the best SS amp- and finished....

I'm still on the fence even with the new hybrid which I believe only has two tubes. I just don't want to open the door to this mess, but two tubes is not alot. Awaiting the reports.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #821 of 1,794
Every time I hear about miraculous tube sonics I get excited and then I realize, I don't want to get into $500 NOS tubes and tube rolling. It is a never ending hole of experimentation and will make me broke. Perhaps it sounds incredible, but I may just live with the best SS amp- and finished....

I'm still on the fence even with the new hybrid which I believe only has two tubes. I just don't want to open the door to this mess, but two tubes is not alot. Awaiting the reports.
Can't be scared of it...

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #822 of 1,794
It's not that shiny though. The HSA-1b isn't particularly good to begin. Try the SR1a with the uberamp.
I wanted to, but Miroslav told me the size is gonna be huge and I don’t have the space for it 😓

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #823 of 1,794

But the result will be very rewarding 😁

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #824 of 1,794
Introduce a tube pre immediately. Don't think I've ever been happier than what I heard the last week with the MELZ 1578.
Quenched any desire for the hybrid, makes me consider selling my Primavera, it's on a line of revelatory and is just plain bringing me such immense listening enjoyment.

Please stop... I've been holding out on purchasing a tube pre for a while and this might be my tipping comment, especially having heard the primavera...

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #825 of 1,794
Introduce a tube pre immediately. Don't think I've ever been happier than what I heard the last week with the MELZ 1578.
Quenched any desire for the hybrid, makes me consider selling my Primavera, it's on a line of revelatory and is just plain bringing me such immense listening enjoyment.

When using a Pre, do you just set the CFA3's volume pot to max?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back