KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #751 of 1,794
so many different amplifiers and variations. All tube, some tube and all solid state. including an amp with TWT's

and more coming once i get that felista megatron off my bench.

in other news dukei has the tube input stage running. no idea if he likes it or not :D
We should start a poll. I'm going with hates it.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #752 of 1,794
How is it compared to Carbon?
If you are referencing the cfaelectrostat, that is one of the very few I haven't heard. It was made to be, say, a budget or easy amp. It likely compares well with KGSSHV.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #753 of 1,794
in other news dukei has the tube input stage running. no idea if he likes it or not :D
I like it! :) I've had a couple of hours with it but my initial impression is that it brings life to headphones that struggle with unengaging/analytical midrange and treble (think HD800). Bass quality and transient speed are equal to CFA3, which is positive.

Have to spend more time with it and different tubes, my amp queue is crowded atm...

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #754 of 1,794
This is very good news, and very bad news, and very inevitable.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #757 of 1,794
Any chance on taking a felitsa cfa after that Dr. G?
😄😄😄

So the latest i have found on the cfa3 is that he is using known fake toshiba output transistors and as a result, the power supply voltages are turned down to 24v.
(real toshiba parts are rated at 180v, the fakes blow up at about 50v). and the power supply are not using tantalum caps in the places where they are needed, and the opamps are pulled parts with 20+ year old date codes. and the circuit boards are hacked up to get the transistors closer to the heatsinks because he refuses to use angle brackets on most units. And resistors pulled to the circuit boards way to tight and on and on and on. There is nothing left to salvage except for a poorly machined chassis.
Saving maybe $100 on parts for a $3000 amplifier is beyond insane.

No one with half a brain would try to repair one of these things. Although i know at least 3 different people who are desperately going to try.

No one with half a brain should buy one of these things. Buy from dukei instead.

i will finally have the rest of the power transformers in a couple of weeks to finish the megatron. It was not worth the time and money to fix it.

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #759 of 1,794
the felista megatron is already way past the singlepower esx. way past. at least mikhail could put the holes in the right place.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #760 of 1,794
the felista megatron is already way past the singlepower esx. way past. at least mikhail could put the holes in the right place.
Does the person who builds the Felista stuff realize how much he is messing up the design? Is this person making conscious choices to hurt the amp and therefore good hard working people in this community? Is it all about making a buck?

I hope it isn’t this cynical, but feeling it may just be…

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #761 of 1,794
The megatron, there is just no explanation for this. Definitely not to save money. labor for handmade with a dremel circuit boards cannot possibly be cheaper than jlbpcb even with vietnamese labor rates.

changing the caps on the grlv supplies definitely saves money. For two power supply boards that is 8 x tantalum caps, cost about $60. replacement with ceramic caps saves about $40. There is a slight possibility that the ceramic caps in those positions perform equally well, but i tried that a long time ago and stuck with the tantalum.
using pulled surplus parts also saves some money. not using ic sockets saves some money. using fake output transistors definitely saves money.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #763 of 1,794
Or with the Bakoon/Enleum?

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #764 of 1,794
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #765 of 1,794
Does the person who builds the Felista stuff realize how much he is messing up the design? Is this person making conscious choices to hurt the amp and therefore good hard working people in this community? Is it all about making a buck?

I hope it isn’t this cynical, but feeling it may just be…
Well, with some amps he builds them and doesn't even bother to test they work properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back