Kerry's got a new Co... Eksonic
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #61 of 303
Had the pleasure of meeting Kerry and hearing the T2 & Aeras at CanJam and was absolutely blown away. I'm 6 months into the waitlist for a DNA Stellaris or I would quite likely have ordered an Aeras right there on the spot. Is it overly self-indulgent to have two $6k+ tube amps? :thinking: Utopia+Stellaris & CRBN+Aeras sounds like a mighty nice endgame.

20220227_135815.jpg

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #62 of 303
Had the pleasure of meeting Kerry and hearing the T2 & Aeras at CanJam and was absolutely blown away. I'm 6 months into the waitlist for a DNA Stellaris or I would quite likely have ordered an Aeras right there on the spot. Is it overly self-indulgent to have two $6k+ tube amps? :thinking: Utopia+Stellaris & CRBN+Aeras sounds like a mighty nice endgame.

20220227_135815.jpg
…there are no degrees of self-indulgence…🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #63 of 303
Not self-indulgent at all😀
Kerry will be delivering my T2 next month and Donald my Stellaris in June
T2 is for X9000, 009S, 007mk1 etc.
Stellaris is for my Utopia

End game short and simple

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #64 of 303
@Kerry

Will your new site have a commission build for a T2? or you will only have the Aeras as your main amp for sale?

Also, if I read correctly, you will have 3 units for sale? The Aeras, a portable amp and CFA3?

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #66 of 303
We will continue to do the commission builds of the T2 and will be offering the Aeras as a production amp.

CFA3 is still in design, but the current plan is to launch that as an additional product at some point.

yahoo. Anything Kerry’s is sublime.

will wait for updates.

thanks for the small chat at canjam

May 7, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #69 of 303
Good to know that it's only warm and not hot. A trait I really like.
Did you have any Chance to compare it to the Woo 3ES?
Woo 3se has similar bottom end and lows while Eksonic line up while Eksonic has more sparking highs and high extension.

Woo is pure tube design with the typical classic warm tuby sound, Eksonic is leaning towards the new tube sound due to its extended highs.

May 7, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #70 of 303
It is really comparing apple to orange, because setup were completely different.

Aeras (pre-production) -> DIY DAC --> Stax SR-007 MK1/Stax SR-009
Woo 3ES --> DAC?? not visible --> Audeze CBRN/Stax SR-X9000

Aeras sounds lively, engaging, the music sounds rich, the frequency is very distinctive. Vocal very present, bass impactful and great detail, soundstage probably difficult to identify because on the Sennheiser HD800 is known for huge soundstage but sounds so empty, the Stax soundstage similar size maybe slighter behind??? what makes it difficult for me to identify the correct soundstage is the entire stage is rich and full of music unlike the HD800 you just hear the distant sound traveling through the space if I am making any sense.

Woo setup still got the great details, but the richness and engaging part is left out making it sounds sterile or analytical sounding? Better than the Sennheiser HD800 in this regard, but not close to the Aeras setup.

This is just my impression, so is not a definite match with what you might hear.
Woo is the least analytical sound, as the owner of Wes, Ges and long time listening to 3se

May 7, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #71 of 303
I really wish Kerry could ship his wonderful pieces to me soon so I could have more comprehensive review. Synergy wise, if you a Voce owner, if you prefer mid range most, and a non fatiguing highs and lows, go BHSE; if you have X9000 and/or prefer good extensions at both highs and lows, go Eksonic; if you like classical warm tuby sound and/or have a lean bright sounding 009s, go 3se ( Elite version will be much better in that silver wiring is a must in my opinion for that kind of tuning and design)

May 12, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #72 of 303
20220512_134752.jpg

20220512_134838.jpg
20220512_134819.jpg

First all thanks Kerry for the invitation listening to his T2 and the STAX SR-X9000 (ESL's loaner according to Kerry).
20220512_195701.jpg

20220512_201904.jpg
20220512_195721.jpg

This is my Aeras that I picked up from Kerry today. Thanks to Kerry burning-in for me, now I can enjoy the amp. I will post some impression upcoming soon.

Attachments

• 20220512_201904.jpg
    20220512_201904.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #73 of 303
Just to get some of the technical stuff out of the way. The DIY T2 went through three processes: CNC milling, chrome plating, and (I might have forgotten this one) sand blasting or polishing? Similar on the Aeras, but the Aeras is semi-gloss finish instead of chrome plating.

I removed the foam padding under the amplifier, Kerry reach out to me that might block airflow. I thought it would reduced vibration anyhow, future owners don't make this same mistake.
20220513_164124.jpg
One of the surprise was that the tube socket is actually black unlike most tube amplifiers using teflon color socket, which is a plus for me. I didn't noticed the tube socket until Kerry was removing the tubes for packaging. The tube socket is quite robust as well.
20220513_170507.jpg

The chassis is beautifully machine, with the aluminum chassis making it quite light.

Temperature of the amp is running after 75 minutes
IRAY0004.jpg

IRAY0002.jpg

IRAY0003.jpg

My room temperature is 78F, 48C is roughly 118F at the hottest spot of the chassis, just like Kerry said is about 36-40F delta above the room temperature.

Kerry's Setup:
Roon --> Denaftrips Ares (I believed corrected me Kerry if I am wrong) --> DIY T2 running Mullard EL34 power tubes (not fully burn-in) --> Stax X-9000/009S/007 MK1 early production
Roon --> Denaftrips Ares --> Aeras (fully burn-in) --> Stax X-9000/009S/007 MK 1early production
Music: Hotel California by Eagles 2018 remastered
Hello - Adele
When we were young - Adele
The Indiana Jones: Raiders Of the Lost Ark "Raiders March" (Mainly to test on the X-9000 since I don't listen to classical or orchestral music much)

I spend most of the roughly 40 minutes on the T2 and about 25 minutes on the Aeras. I will keep this to about the energizers mostly, the headphones comparison I will post on the X-9000 thread will do just a short rating here. Volume position is around 10 o'clock.

DIY T2 with Stax X-9000, I got a similar impression to CanJam woo's audio setup. Laid back presentation, great soundstage, bass is fast and impactful. I should also mentioned that this T2 is not the one at CanJam, this is for Kerry's customer not sure how much time he had it running probably a few weeks?

DIY T2 with Stax 007MK I, right away the vocal tonality is more lush or warm which is my preference sound signature. The bass with this combo is the best of the three, I wish I get the a chance to hear the original Omega which I heard is even better in this regard. In term of stage positioning is between the 009S and the X-9000, closer to the 009S, X-9000 is a league of its own in soundstage.

DIY T2 with Stax 009S, right away the up close presentation is noticed sounds more energy than the other two, but I forgot 009S is the easiest headphones there to drive meaning I was listening at a higher decibels giving the false impression. Bass is lightning fast you can hear the speed of the impact when the drum is hit and quite impactful.

But, I noticed T2 sounded little different. I didn't know it was a different T2 until I spoke to Kerry little later. The CanJam version was richer in tonality, speed, soundstage, bass impact/slam sounded better to my ear. First time in my audio journey that a burn-in process that does improved.

At first I wasn't going to listen to the Aeras, because I was going to listen at home anyway. But, since Kerry already got it setup so why not. This Aeras is the same one at CanJam, Kerry offers me a chassis swap which I didn't know if I should take up the offer because he needs to transfer from one chassis to another in just one day. Actually after hearing the fully burn-in version I am glad Kerry made this available.

Aeras --> Stax X-9000 my first impression it sounded different between the other setup? It is very competent much better than I thought it can sound, keep it short it is a quite magical I will go on with the detail on the X-9000 thread.

Aeras --> Stax SR-009S mirror what I heard in CanJam but sounds richer due to mainly the burn-in effect that I am hearing this time.

Aeras --> Stax SR-007 MK1 I would like to revise what I said at CanJam about the best bass was the T2/SR009S combo, the 007 MK1 bass is one of a kind can't be replicate by the other two.

The Indiana Jones track I selected due to the fact the X-9000 was that don't utilize it's strength that is the reason why I went to test it's strength and it doesn't disappoint either.

Keep it on track T2 and Aeras share similar sound signatures, T2 to me got a better bass control for basshead I would pick this over the Aeras. Aeras fully burn-in version is right at the heel of the T2 in some area I considered it better than the T2 especially in the high end frequency the note seems more sparkling than the T2. Could be just my ear. T2 also got better separation, is a good choice for those like orchestral music or classical. Aeras sounds a little warmer to my ear than the T2 for some reason, but I did prefer the sound slighter more in term of tonality because my headphone of choice is the Sennheiser HD650.

My home setup: Foobar (redbook cd flac) --> Schiit Yggdrasil XLR out --> Aeras --> Stax SR009S
This is the first time I got to hear the Aeras with my own music library. The sound is exceptionally clean and clear, definitely above the Susvara in this regard some of the track I need to focus to hear some of the details are just present out straight out with the 009S and the X-9000 is even better in that regard (not much). Vocal is rich not thin sounding like the Sennheiser HD800. Bass is fast and got good slam for me.
Better recording material does sound better, the difference is quite noticeable for me.

My impression might be different if the T2 is fully burn-in, for now the Aeras sounds exactly what I was looking for. And thanks to Kerry making this possible.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #74 of 303
Thank you for your detailed overview of the amp and listening impressions.

I'll just add some notes to the comments...

The X9000's are a loaner, but not from ESL-1.

The T2 chassis is CNC milled, polished (to a mirror finish) and then chromed. Not an easy process to get everything right. The Aeras is CNC milled, polished and then bead blasted. All in all, I'm happy with the results of both.

Thank you for pointing out the need for airflow from the bottom of the chassis :)

I also wanted to comment on the T2 amp and burn-in. Both the Aeras and T2 do take some time to really come into their own. They sound great right off the production line, but time is definitely a friend for these amps.

Another difference between the T2 at CanJam and the one you heard yesterday is that I was using Amperex front end tubes (6922) vs Jan Philips at CanJam. These tubes definitely sound different. I tend to lean towards the Jan Philips (a little more on top and bottom of the frequency spectrum for me), but really enjoy the Amperex as well.

The output tubes (EL34) make a difference too. I've been switching away from the Mullard tubes (in T2 for audition) and have been very happy with the Psvane EL34-C. I think these might be my favorite new issue tubes. I also had a chance to hear the Philips NOS metal base tubes, which are stellar. I've also got some Psvane UK-EL34 here that I'm about to try out. After that, I'll try the Psvane EL34-PH (Philips metal base knock off). I'll look at the JJ EL34's as well.

Last note, the T2 was playing off of the Soekris DAC vs the Denafrips Ares for the Aeras.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #75 of 303
Thank you for your detailed overview of the amp and listening impressions.

I'll just add some notes to the comments...

The X9000's are a loaner, but not from ESL-1.

The T2 chassis is CNC milled, polished (to a mirror finish) and then chromed. Not an easy process to get everything right. The Aeras is CNC milled, polished and then bead blasted. All in all, I'm happy with the results of both.

Thank you for pointing out the need for airflow from the bottom of the chassis :)

I also wanted to comment on the T2 amp and burn-in. Both the Aeras and T2 do take some time to really come into their own. They sound great right off the production line, but time is definitely a friend for these amps.

Another difference between the T2 at CanJam and the one you heard yesterday is that I was using Amperex front end tubes (6922) vs Jan Philips at CanJam. These tubes definitely sound different. I tend to lean towards the Jan Philips (a little more on top and bottom of the frequency spectrum for me), but really enjoy the Amperex as well.

The output tubes (EL34) make a difference too. I've been switching away from the Mullard tubes (in T2 for audition) and have been very happy with the Psvane EL34-C. I think these might be my favorite new issue tubes. I also had a chance to hear the Philips NOS metal base tubes, which are stellar. I've also got some Psvane UK-EL34 here that I'm about to try out. After that, I'll try the Psvane EL34-PH (Philips metal base knock off). I'll look at the JJ EL34's as well.

Last note, the T2 was playing off of the Soekris DAC vs the Denafrips Ares for the Aeras.
Thanks! Any time table for a CFA 3 product release?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back