Kerry's got a new Co... Eksonic
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #31 of 299
Thank you so much for all the kind words.

To clarify, the Aeras on the left side table was a prototype in regard to chassis details but was current finished production inside while the one on the table with the T-2 was current finish and look of the production Aeras.
Thank for your hospitality as well Joe. Don't scare me next time Joe with that protein bar wrapper noise. I thought I might have to pay for the damage before leaving the booth.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 299
This is the exact timeline of the CanJam meeting for me and how it impact my whole impression of this meeting. Saturday 2/26/22 it was 9:53AM Ethan took the picture, if you look at the CanJam Impression thread I am the guy in the first picture where there is a long line, matter of fact I am in the middle of the picture just ahead of the green jacket guy. I was looking down wearing a surgical mask with a black jacket.

As I got clear from the front desk, I walk by the main floor but I walk to the right side saw there are some rooms there. First room Eksonic logo near the door, saw Kerry right by the door matter of fact he didn't even got the setup ready when I enter the room (BTW first person in this booth aside from Joe and Kerry). Kerry asked me which one would like you to hear Aeras or the T2? I replied Aeras because I just happened to stumble across this thread the day before CanJam, so would like to hear the new product. Kerry even said the SR-009S arrived like one or two days before the meeting, wasn't broken in yet, so I opted to listen to the SR-007MK1 first.

Stax SR-007MK1 -- Aeras (pre-production) volume pot position was around 10-11 o'clock, never heard any electrostatic before this meeting but I am a regular on headfi given that I am on the forum 11 years I read about them. Stax SR-007MK1 leather felt so plush the most comfortable headphone to date, I owned the Sennheiser HD800, HD650 and Hifiman Susvara. I skipped the impression, since I already cover it on CanJam and on the earlier post in this thread. Then, Jack Woo walked in as I was listening to the Aeras as he took a listen next to me on the T2. Then, a few more people came in so I was talking to Kerry and found out my headphone preference kind of mirror's his. Kerry preferred the Stax SR-007MK1 over the SR-009S, on what ground I didn't ask. But, for me is that I always had the Sennheiser HD650 so I had grew to adjust to a more laid-back presentation, the SR-009S is more aggressive I feared that if I am in for a long listening session it will be easier to get fatigue where as the SR-007MK1 just soothe through. Now, a few people came and gone out of the room and I went over to the opposite setup Aeras--> Denaftrips --> Stax SR-009s/007MK1 swap back and forth, SR-009S definitely nails the string instruments better than the SR-007MK1 but the bass goes to the SR-007MK1. I spoke to Kerry for a few more minutes told him I will be back later as the time now is close to 11AM already 1 hour past in this room. At this point I had not heard the T2 yet.

Walking around to each audio booth with the sounds I remember in the Aeras sound as the benchmark for this meeting, none of the setup I heard can match the sound I heard from the Aeras. So, about 2pm I am back again to Eksonic and T2 is up for listen, so I say hi to Joe I want to hear the T2 as Kerry is taking lunch. While listening the T2 with the SR-007MK1 I heard some strange wrapping or distortion sound that was not heard on the Aeras setup and I looked around, then I saw it was Joe opening up a protein bar wrapper making that sound I felt a bit of relieve I thought the headphone or the T2 burn out of something. At this point the I finally understand why almost everyone who heard the T2 said it was the legendary amp it is and it is true to what I heard as well.

Almost forgot a critical impression why I thought the SR-009S/T2 was the best in the show in term of everything, but the bass was simply the best that including subwoofer plus the rumbling effects. I never spoke about the setup, it was critical as no one else said this in CanJam's impression the lost details. The T2 and Aeras (pre-production) --> DIY DAC --> Roon this roon actually sourcing to both of the amp, so when a gentlemen walks in I hand over the tablet over let him select a track, if anyone can identify this I would be appreciated it too "test track ==? starts with Mexxxxxx? Probably 8-10 letters one continuous word not sure if that is the artist or album, but the bass was dropping on the Stax-SR009S non-stop I thought I heard cannon shot this track don't have any lyrics just percussion instruments the whole track. After that track I took off the Stax-SR009S for head break I can't take it anymore the impact but the speed of the impact and continuous bass making it the best for what I heard.

Spoke to Kerry afterward about how the Aeras is more prone to shipping damage as it is much lighter to throw further away, forgot Tom came back with Kerry after their lunch. Two guys came in as they sat down the Aeras (pre-production) smells funny I still don't know what the exact problem is, smell like burn out tube Kerry took it out of demo I think it was like 2:30pm-3pm now. I went listen to the Aeras (protype) before I wanted to go home as I didn't eat lunch at this point. Here is my story, sorry to taken over your thread Kerry.

Side note: T2 volume knob was at 10o' clock position for my listening demo.
Have you heard a properly amped Abyss Phi TC? If so, how does it compare to the DIY T2 & 009s and the bass you were talking about?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #33 of 299
Have you heard a properly amped Abyss Phi TC? If so, how does it compare to the DIY T2 & 009s and the bass you were talking about?
Once again difficult question to answer, not sure what is properly amped everyone's got different perception. The setup I heard the Abyss 1266 Phi TC ran off the Woo Audio WA33 standard edition with their WDS-1 DAC through Roon.

T2 with Stax SR-009S got more speed, resolution, force than the Abyss setup. I think the Abyss bass is deep and extends well but doesn't sound holographic vs the T2 setup probably that why I felt I heard more impact and the speed is factor as well. When the note hit T2 will pop instantly, Abyss bass sounds like it need to travel back to you.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #34 of 299
Is there a way to express interest in ordering the SMD CFA3 other than monitoring the website?

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #35 of 299
Is there a way to express interest in ordering the SMD CFA3 other than monitoring the website?
Here is their website and email information, if Kerry or Joe need to keep it down let me know I will removed this post.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #36 of 299
The level of miniaturization achieved by the Aeras is truly impressive. It's roughly a third of the size of the smallest Carbon or BHSE, and even has a smaller desk footprint than my recent SRX-Plus. I suspect this might be very popular with those living in cities, smaller apartments and/or with limited free space available for a headphone setup more generally.

The Aeras seemed to lose very little vis-à-vis the T2 -- just a tiny bit of top-end extension and air and perhaps a little bass solidity separated the two, which is simply astonishing given the size and weight differences (and cost). I think showing the T2 and Aeras side-by-side was a very bold move and it clearly speaks volumes to how competent of a product the latter is, even without factoring in the differences in stature.

My only regret was not being able to hear the SR-X9000 off either of these units after-hours, though I hope to have the opportunity during the SoCal CanJam (if I'm unfortunate enough to not have purchased both by then). I'd be optimistic about the Aeras + SR-X9000 getting uncomfortably close to the memory of my old T2 +SR-Omega setup at half the cost, a quarter of the size/weight and infinitely less ownership headaches.

Thanks for the fantastic products and great conversation, Kerry and Joe!

Mar 2, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #38 of 299
Some people have been asking for specs on the Aeras, so here they are...
  • Input: XLR – Accepts balanced or single-ended (with grounded RCA to XLR cable)
  • Input Impedance: 50K x2
  • Gain: 1000x
  • Frequency Response: 1Hz – 60KHz
  • Max P-P Voltage: 1500VAC
  • Max RMS Voltage: 1000VAC
  • Output: Stax Pro-Bias x1
  • Vacuum Tubes: 6S4A x4
  • Power Consumption: 100W
  • External Dimensions: 19 cm x 34.3 cm x 14.2 cm (7.5” x 13.5” x 5.6”) – W x D x H
  • Weight: 5.5 Kg (12 lbs)
  • Mains AC: 115/230VAC Switchable

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #39 of 299
Mar 2, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #40 of 299
@Kerry Count me in as interested for the CFA3 - however you first need to finish my T2:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #41 of 299
External Dimensions: 19 cm x 34.3 cm x 24.2 cm (7.5” x 13.5” x 5.6”) – W x D x H
Consider me significantly more interested than I was 3 posts ago. I assumed "small" still meant bigger than a GSX-mini

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #43 of 299
Thank you.

The Aeras will sell for 5,995 Euro and $6,695 USD. The euro fluctuates against the dollar, but we'll keep the pricing as is, unless there are some larger swings.

We're going to offer a show special of 10% off which I can extend here as well through mid-March.
Are you based out of the US or europe? Also, any plans to take the whole shebang to canjam london?

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #44 of 299
Are you based out of the US or europe? Also, any plans to take the whole shebang to canjam London?
Are you based out of the US or europe? Also, any plans to take the whole shebang to canjam london?
Kerry had stated he is intending to go to London CanJam and if plans work out I can bring part of my setup including an aeras the show. I sometimes go to London if there is any mini meets I can always bring stuff

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #45 of 299
Sounds awesome! Guess I'll finaly get to hear some propper good estat amps at least. TBH the lack of possibility of demoing basicaly anythign but BHSE has played a pretty fair role in me not diving further into stats yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back