Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 25, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #1,306 of 10,023
Hi, all.

Seen on the web.

" Not For Sale " !!

540907OdinZebranob.jpg

@grizzlybeast, you are cruel to announce that your Odin Zebrano is not for sale ... :dt880smile:

Maybe to sell, your Odin MK2 Zebrano, when the Odin MK3 will be released (at the end of the year 2017) with the new drivers "carbon" ?? (In 2018?)

Meanwhile, I suggest you to keep the "precious" (your Odin) :dt880smile:; It is probably a good complement to the headphones Focal Utopia (for listening to classical music) or the Hi-fiman HE-1000 V2, if you also appreciate their sound signatures.
Not to mention the Kennerton Vali, to have even more dynamism and fun ... (for listening to more modern music (rock, metal), although the Odin works wonderfull well also). :)

EDIT: Reversal; ultimately, Headphone For Sale: Sold!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #1,307 of 10,023
Hello,

So @eric65 your sources are whispering in your ears that 2018 will see an Odin mk3 with Carbon drivers and all Litz cabling ?
The picture displayed by Kennerton team is showing the Carbon drivers ?
What about also a new headband?

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #1,308 of 10,023
Hello,

So @eric65 your sources are whispering in your ears that 2018 will see an Odin mk3 with Carbon drivers and all Litz cabling ?
The picture displayed by Kennerton team is showing the Carbon drivers ?
What about also a new headband?

Hi, Claude.

Current drivers of the Kennerton Odin:

7847312.jpg

8712843.jpg

Kennerton Odin mk1 (first 50 series) and Odin mk2 (currently), wired internally in Litz wire fot last series, also more reliable than the first 50 series: metal frame (heavy) and 8 or 10 um thickness Kapton membrane, and with 10 symmetrical semi-circular (powerful) magnets neodymium.

Future drivers of the Odin mk3 (at the end of the year 2017 or for 2018?):

1576341942469218903411845535858343361597573431296n1.jpg

9963032.jpg

Reworked Odin drivers, lighter and also better ? with different design lateral metal traces + probably a membrane still in Kapton (thickness?); lighter carbon frame, and with 10 symmetrical semi-circular magnets neodymium.

When to the headband: it is a mystery.
In my opinion it will remain substantially the same (same mechanism, original, of adjustment), with perhaps some improvements of the secondary headband suspension (padded ?) inspired by the french "Kékénerton V2 headband" (more comfortable than the V1 (not padded) version) ? (smile).

For the cable, It should benefit from a cotton-sheath, softer, quieter and pleasant to the touch than the current Kennerton cables, with a 6.35 mm termination (or optional XLR), and also, probably, optionally, an pure copper Litz wire (in option) ; This is my prediction. :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #1,309 of 10,023
Hi all.

Last news about the new drivers of the Odin (mk3).

According Vasily, in response to P. Paya on the forum HCFR, the driver reworked of the Odin, with a carbon frame, will reduce the weight of the Odin by 120 g, which is not nothing; The new drivers of the Odin would bring a better sound "more pure, more airy, with better control of the resonances, with the new design of the membrane (still in Kapton?) in "honeycomb ".
Prototype of the Odin mk3 which will be presented at CanJam in London this summer.
Production in series at the end of the year 2017?
Price of this upgraded Odin mk3 which will (unfortunately) be revised upwards, while maintaining the current production of Odin mk2 at the same price (in France).
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179252278.html#p179252278

Attached, the last photo of the drivers of the Odin mlk3; Note the internal wiring in Litz wire (purple wire).

713561IMG20170623130548.jpg

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,310 of 10,023
Hi,

No bad the idea to imitate the Nature and particularly bees.
So, Kennerton is going to follow the price up stream which is becoming general in the headphones market. I'm not surprised because of the cost of R&D for the kind of high quality headphones manufactured actually.
Not forgetting the price of the components seen in the Odin pictures.
Will hear what comes out from Kennerton in 2018 !!

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,312 of 10,023
one more test prototype
aN1eIjN.jpg

Interesting. :)

It would also be interesting to compare and measure these two prototypes of the "carbon" drivers of the Odin, on the same measuring platform, with these Kapton membranes obviously different in design, especially in the periphery (and damping? ), And see, in particular, whether the FRs of these different prototypes are similar or different compared to the Odin's "non-carbon" current (standard) driver; It would give an overview of the expected tone of these new drivers, already knowing the tone of the current Odin (mk1 / mk2) "non carbon".
Can Drakkard or Max do these measurements between these different prototype drivers of the Odin and give us some FR measurements, here or on HCFR (via Vasily)?

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,313 of 10,023
We want to announce that we will bring two prototypes along with current Odin to CanJam London, so anyone can try them out. We want to listen to people's response before releasing any graphs, to make sure they will be unbiased :)
And one more announcement related to the CanJam - we can sell any Kennerton product directly at our stand (with exception of the prototypes of course), but as our delegation is rather small, we can't bring much stuff with us. So, if anyone is interested in buying something from us at CanJam, please contact us in any way so we can secure a box for you :)

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #1,314 of 10,023
We want to announce that we will bring two prototypes along with current Odin to CanJam London, so anyone can try them out. We want to listen to people's response before releasing any graphs, to make sure they will be unbiased :)
And one more announcement related to the CanJam - we can sell any Kennerton product directly at our stand (with exception of the prototypes of course), but as our delegation is rather small, we can't bring much stuff with us. So, if anyone is interested in buying something from us at CanJam, please contact us in any way so we can secure a box for you :)

Happy English!

Two prototypes of the Odin (new drivers) in preview at the CanJam London, for themselves.

The French (and russians) will wait! :dt880smile:

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #1,315 of 10,023
Hi all.

Seen at CanJam London 2017
Stand Kennerton and Auris Audio.

"Was awed by the style and design of the Kennerton equipment"
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...-thread-july-15-16-2017.855275/#post-13602047

974129IMG1008eee.jpg

Analysis of the photo above.

Several novelties and originalities apparent present at the Kennerton stand.
From right to left in the picture.

"Small" transistor amplifier HPA Sleipnir, original by its wooden box.

Located on the top of this amplifier, a kind of prototype derived from the Kennerton Vali, with black external grids, but a form of cups (with visible screws) different from the classic Vali or the Massdrop version; New drivers?

More on the left, behind the wooden foot, a unique and exclusive version of the Odin with external forged metal grids, "Elvish" way.

Even more to the left, the Kennerton Odin, which could be an improved and lightened version for weight (-120 g) with new "carbon" drivers and new (reworked) Kapton membranes; Also present on this headphone a new cable, probably in Litz wire, with a new splitter and a different outer sheath, apparently thicker (in cotton?).

Behind these headphones, on the left, the Auris HA2SE amplifier, which is capable of powering both a Hifiman Susvara and a Kennerton Odin (with 20 dB more efficient than the Susvara (103 dB / mW (40 Ohms) versus 83 dB / mW (60 Ohms)).

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,316 of 10,023
Hi all,

A friendly testimony on the Kennerton Odin (by @DocSkeekmo), as well as 64 other headphones ...

" *Kennerton Odin : Heavy, but well balanced. WOW! Scale! Dynamics! Subtlety! Emotion! Width! Depth! Sub bass is there and as it should be. Bass tone is correct; both simple and complex, precise and wonderful. Mids express harmonics from top to bottom and convey the undertones of instrument and voices while making the music flow. Highs are just a touch scaled back; not veiled or truncated. The highs suite the sound of the headphones and I understand why they do what they do. Would I like a bit more up top? Yes; but I'm not sure it wouldn't affect the overall cohesion. The texture of strings and tone of the instruments is conveyed effortlessly. Emotional subtlety with dynamic presence and speed. A hair dark up top but one of the few headphones that I don't mind so much. Maybe a 1/2db of EQ could fix it (did I just say that?). Or not. Maybe it's perfect the way it is. I hear instruments resonate and I see emotion in the performers, which is no easy feat. Oh, did I mention these things are spectacularly gorgeous to behold! My ZMF Blackwoods sound thin after listening to the Odin's; and no other headphone has done that; because they are NOT THIN. But the Odin's... oh my!! Dare I say these are the best I have heard? Dare I say these things do as well as the mighty Stax (I can't say that since I've not heard the 009 in my room to properly compare). I just might Dare! Although a touch darker then I prefer, they do everything so right that it just doesn't bother me. I can't wait to hear the Carbon Fiber versions being announced at CanJam London! Wow Kennerton! I like my my headphones like I like my Vodka..... Russian Made!!! "

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/65-headphones-7-dac-amps-1-persons-opinion-oh-my.854984/

EDIT:

Seen at CanJam London 2017
Stand Kennerton and Auris Audio.

Another testimony: (about the new prototypes of the Kennerton Odin)
(by @Greg02)

" Some scattered impressions from the gear I heard this weekend:

I was most impressed by far with the Kennerton equipment, especially the Odin. I'm absolutely addicted and kept coming back to listen some more. I tend to like fairly flat, analytical sound signatures; the Kennerton tuning manages to preserve the accuracy/mids that I like while imparting a little bit of musicality/warmth to it. The Odin sounded great with Shanling's DAC/Amp combo, but paired exceptionally well with the Auris tube amps (which are gorgeous designs, by the way). I talked to the CEO, Valentin, for a while about their upcoming stuff and also got the chance to try out a few demo units. There were two sample variants on the Odin, one which ran a little bit warmer than the current production model and didn't quite have as much snap to it, and another that was colder and absolutely sucked the fun out of it. According to Valentin the FR graph for the cold model is pretty much perfect, which goes to show why actually listening to headphones is important. Apparently next up for the company is a dynamic headphone with 38 drivers in it (I saw a picture of the inside; it looks very sci-fi), and a lighter version of the Odin, which some people find too heavy even though I think the weight distribution makes it still feel comfortable. The lighter version is going to utilize kevlar (so still no plastic!) and come in at a significantly cheaper price. They're also going to start offering parts so that if you're a current Odin owner and want a lighter grill, for instance, you can pick it up online. After talking with them, it's pretty clear that Kennerton has two priorities: get a kick-ass sound, and treat the customers right. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend checking out the company, and can't wait to get an Odin for myself."

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...d-july-15-16-2017.855275/page-3#post-13604211

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #1,317 of 10,023
Hi all,

A friendly testimony on the Kennerton Odin (by @DocSkeekmo), as well as 64 other headphones ...

" *Kennerton Odin : Heavy, but well balanced. WOW! Scale! Dynamics! Subtlety! Emotion! Width! Depth! Sub bass is there and as it should be. Bass tone is correct; both simple and complex, precise and wonderful. Mids express harmonics from top to bottom and convey the undertones of instrument and voices while making the music flow. Highs are just a touch scaled back; not veiled or truncated. The highs suite the sound of the headphones and I understand why they do what they do. Would I like a bit more up top? Yes; but I'm not sure it wouldn't affect the overall cohesion. The texture of strings and tone of the instruments is conveyed effortlessly. Emotional subtlety with dynamic presence and speed. A hair dark up top but one of the few headphones that I don't mind so much. Maybe a 1/2db of EQ could fix it (did I just say that?). Or not. Maybe it's perfect the way it is. I hear instruments resonate and I see emotion in the performers, which is no easy feat. Oh, did I mention these things are spectacularly gorgeous to behold! My ZMF Blackwoods sound thin after listening to the Odin's; and no other headphone has done that; because they are NOT THIN. But the Odin's... oh my!! Dare I say these are the best I have heard? Dare I say these things do as well as the mighty Stax (I can't say that since I've not heard the 009 in my room to properly compare). I just might Dare! Although a touch darker then I prefer, they do everything so right that it just doesn't bother me. I can't wait to hear the Carbon Fiber versions being announced at CanJam London! Wow Kennerton! I like my my headphones like I like my Vodka..... Russian Made!!! "

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/65-headphones-7-dac-amps-1-persons-opinion-oh-my.854984/

Thanks for sharing, Eric. Actually, I own most of the headphones he reviewed (and some more), and in many cases, share his thoughts about them.

Maybe I should do the same? (Write short reviews, that is). :)

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #1,318 of 10,023
Thanks for sharing, Eric. Actually, I own most of the headphones he reviewed (and some more), and in many cases, share his thoughts about them.

Maybe I should do the same? (Write short reviews, that is). :)

Thanks.

Yes, you should do it: a mega comparative of 80+ headphones! :)

Including 3 Odins, 2 Valis and some other headphones (too many to quote them all ...):dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back