Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 4, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #106 of 10,026

Because that makes no sense? 

Why doesn't it make sense? As usual, people get ridiculous and don't use their brains, they'd rather trust a guy who 3D prints headphones in his basement than the government owned facilities where parts for the aerospace and military projects are designed and produced, and are usually the most advanced facilities of that kind you can find, with very high quality equipment and high standard of manufacturing. Believe it  or not, but parts for booster rockets are usually produced with smaller error tolerances than when it comes to headphones. I've been in quite a few of such facilities (not in Russia) during engineering college and you'd be surprised how advanced manufacturing processes of parts for the military are, more precise than when it comes to cars for example, or most mainstream products.  Of course it doesn't mean that headphones are good, but at least you know that parts were manufactured by someone who is capable of producing them in a very accurate and high quality way, and is able to "mass produce" those  parts and make them all absolutely identical.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #108 of 10,026

Why doesn't it make sense? As usual, people get ridiculous and don't use their brains, they'd rather trust a guy who 3D prints headphones in his basement than the government owned facilities where parts for the aerospace and military projects are designed and produced, and are usually the most advanced facilities of that kind you can find, with very high quality equipment and high standard of manufacturing. Believe it  or not, but parts for booster rockets are usually produced with smaller error tolerances than when it comes to headphones. I've been in quite a few of such facilities (not in Russia) during engineering college and you'd be surprised how advanced manufacturing processes of parts for the military are, more precise than when it comes to cars for example, or most mainstream products.  Of course it doesn't mean that headphones are good, but at least you know that parts were manufactured by someone who is capable of producing them in a very accurate and high quality way, and is able to "mass produce" those  parts and make them all absolutely identical.

I agree on what you wrote. I have no doubts that military facilities have very high quality standards. That is why I think it doesn't make such a perfect sense... Like you said that a certain guy prints 3d headphones in his basement, world class headphones. You don't need a military run facility to make good headphones. Second, weapon industry is such a huge industry that I find it strange that a company building missiles or something would even be interested in making couple thousand pairs of headphones. I'd think they would have quite high minimum order quantity, something that an unknown headphone company could not reach. Guys in weapon industry would make more money doing what they do. So even if you struck a deal with military company it would only give commercial value to the headphones. You don't need that to make good headphones... That kind of marketing is a turn off for me. I might be wrong here but I've heard that there is like 40 people who build Stax headphones by hand in small facilities...  They could have mitsubishi or such drill holes in their headphones baffles, but they have chosen another approach in their marketing.

Odin could be the best headphones ever. Who knows. I hope I get to hear a pair someday. I just personally don't like their marketing here. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #109 of 10,026
Sorry guys, the reviewer (Dub) and its humor (sometimes Gauls, sometimes very fine) is hardly translatable (for my level of English) (very low)

I give you the link of the 3rd episode of the Dub review (Odin Vs HE6) ; try your luck with the Google Translator, but it is without warranty.

However, I translate you nevertheless its conclusion (or at least an attempt at translation):

" But it is concluded what? I see well, friend reader, you're still on the verge of conclusion, there where, for my part, I have already concluded (with a D as the Dub). I conclude, therefore, I said to myself before interrupt myself once more, that Odin is significantly better than the HE6 while the two headphones are in the same family of signature and restitution ; that said, one of the two costs 1.88 times cheaper than the other. Some will say that the HE6 is a mini-Odin or Odin is a super HE6...
For my part, I know that I much prefer the Odin, that therefore, if I had the money, I would offer it to me, but this is not the case, it is like that - and it does nothing to prevent me to enjoy the HE6.
For my part, I find that things are relatively clear: in this style, around of €1000, there is the HE6 ; around of €5/600, there is the HE500 ; around of €2500, there is the Odin, and around of €6000, there is the Abyss (and this regardless of different amplification problems as the case may be). Everyone to choose the size of his small or large madness! "

(NB : Last episode of Dub rewiew (4th episode), to follow in a few days: Odin Vs LCD-X; this confrontation may be interesting to read for these two planar headphones in same price range.)

Original review (in french) by Dub (third episode) (link: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178596056.html#p178596056)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #110 of 10,026
Just ordered the Odin (for the old price
wink.gif
) from Germany after all the great reviews from our french friends. I hope I will get them in 4-6 weeks. I see no risk because I´ll pay when the dealer gets them from Russia.
I hope they will complete my LCD-3F for classical music etc (or maybe I will not have use of the LCD-3 anymore, who knows?). Nice that I can use the same cable (Toxic Silver Widow) as for the LCD-3.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #111 of 10,026
  Just ordered the Odin (for the old price
wink.gif
) from Germany after all the great reviews from our french friends. I hope I will get them in 4-6 weeks. I see no risk because I´ll pay when the dealer gets them from Russia.
I hope they will complete my LCD-3F for classical music etc (or maybe I will not have use of the LCD-3 anymore, who knows?). Nice that I can use the same cable (Toxic Silver Widow) as for the LCD-3.

I am sure you will love it.  Did you considered the HE1000 or the ETHER before purchasing it ? 

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #112 of 10,026

I am sure you will love it.  Did you considered the HE1000 or the ETHER before purchasing it ? 

Yes, I considered them both. And maybe all those headphone that people speculate come later this year... But I will not have the possibility to listen to them the next months.
But sometimes you have to make a choice and live with the consequenses (or so will I sell the Odin
confused.gif
). Frédéric sounded so sure about the Odin being better than the HE1000... And the Odin is more than 1000 Euro cheaper. I really hope to get headphones that produce tons of details with an open airy soundstage (via my Totaldac dual). And if I want to sit in the first seat of a Jazzclub and listen to Patricia Barber or Cassandra Wilson I take my LCD-3. That´s the plan...

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #113 of 10,026
Sensitive minds (and Puritans) abstain; I refuse to bring you the translation of the fourth part of the review of Dub (Odin Vs LCD-X) for its adult content (it's very "hot") and its implicit findings that could displease a number of owner of headphones (even if the headphone is quality).

However, I give you the link of this fourth part; but you are warned; to you to open it or not (the Pandora's Box ...)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178597748.html#p178597748

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #114 of 10,026
Let's be charitable, I translate just the conclusion of the review of dub: "O-din Vs LCD-X" (absolutely no presentable, apart from the conclusion)

" Conclusion you ask of me? ... Well everyone chooses what he wants and what he prefers. For me and for my taste, the die is cast. I quite understand that one can prefer the more demonstrative side and snoring (go like that, it is said) the LCD-X on the rock'n'roll: it's a "hard core Black Flag", and after m' be ironed one or two "New York Dolls and the Ramones" I do not spit. As said Gainsbourg (a pop singer): "not disgusting!"
But - since Odin ultimately does not make it less (IMHO it cheat less, including in the bass), and where the rest of the spectrum is much more "honest", my choice - if I had to make - would be very clear: even on the big rock'n'roll "degenerate" that stains the ears (I also like actually) and even more so on jazz, and especially the classic ; that would ......
"- No need you to say it: we all understood!
- OK, OK! I understood, I say no more!"  "

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #115 of 10,026

Couldn't agree more.  That wood looks awful and unfinished.  The close up shots in the thread over in the Summit-Fi forum show extremely poor stitching on the headband as well.

To each his own. I find the rough-edged Indiana Jones leather-and-wood styling to be fantastically beautiful. However, at the price point and given that they are coming from halfway across the world, and are brand new with no track history, I imagine only the bravest US customers will be trying these at first. I would suggest the company work to make these available at CanJams over the next year or so.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #117 of 10,026

To each his own. I find the rough-edged Indiana Jones leather-and-wood styling to be fantastically beautiful. However, at the price point and given that they are coming from halfway across the world, and are brand new with no track history, I imagine only the bravest US customers will be trying these at first. I would suggest the company work to make these available at CanJams over the next year or so.

Yes, we will try to make them appear on the meetings as soon as we get some numbers in stock

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #118 of 10,026
Good news Kennerton Team since in France we have only ONE device available for demos.

I ordered the Odin myself as a complement to my Abyss after some hours of comparative listening.
It as a very good answer on all the bandwidth driven by loads of amps.
But still the Abyss with some exclusive amps delivers a matchless Image and huge bass.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #119 of 10,026
Good choice, cladane !
smily_headphones1.gif

In addition, I give here a small summary about the Odin (a little synthesis effort about what has been written recently about this headphone):

After the first five testimony of the first French testers of the Kennerton Odin headphones (read this thread), it would appear from these testimonies, the following:

It is a well constructed headphone, quite heavy (wood and metal), with a good finish, requiring precise adjustment of its position on the head (via the dial "two axis")

This is a headphone that rivals the very best headphones on the market: Abyss, LCD-X, HE-6, HD-800 ...

With the Abyss, for its price: Odin's performance would be fairly close to those of the Abyss (but with a less extensive sound stage and bass a little less deep and strong); however, its price is two times less than that of the Abyss.

With the HE-6 and the LCD-X, for its performance: according to the first reports, overall performance of the Odin will generally beyond these two headphones (it would be more accurate and organic than the HE-6 and would also have more precision and clarity that the LCD-X ; moreover, Odin's bass would be also faster and impactful (and neat) than the LCD-X), of course, for a price higher than that of the HE-6, but also for a price comparable to that of the LCD-X.

With the HE-1000: no direct comparison, but two testers have already listened to the HE-1000 and their view is clear: clear preference of the Odin on the HE-1000.

With the LCD3F and the SR-009: well, I will tell you in a few months: I ordered the Odin for compare it with these two very great headphones. It is possible that Odin includes the best of these two headphones, as currently discussed on the french forum.

Edit One : Dub (5th French tester) confirms again (on HCFR): " HE-6 is a mini Odin"; there is also a "net loss of sensation (and accuracies) in the mid / high" with the HE-6 compared to the Odin.
(in Image and humorously): link: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178598859.html#p178598859

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #120 of 10,026
Good news Kennerton Team since in France we have only ONE device available for demos.

I ordered the Odin myself as a complement to my Abyss after some hours of comparative listening.
It as a very good answer on all the bandwidth driven by loads of amps.
But still the Abyss with some exclusive amps delivers a matchless Image and huge bass.

So you still prefer the Abyss over the Odin. Also can you name some of the amps you used to compare the two headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back