Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 10, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #121 of 10,023
Abyss really overtakes the Odin. But we know that a powerful amp is needed.

I used an EC Zana Deux, Heada Aurorasound, the iFi Micro DSD, an Egoista Viva.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #122 of 10,023

I have been using the WA5-LE with the Abyss headphones. Very powerful and musical amp. Great synergy with the Abyss

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #123 of 10,023

Not always; according Superfred21 to listen Abyss Vs. Odin, with the amplifier Viva Egoista, when listening to the violin "The Schindle list" Remembrances "BO John Williams"

Quote :

" Compare Abyss, Odin :

This time the confrontation turns more in favor of the Odin. Abyss on the violin seems a little too far, the mid-range loses some of its consistency especially in direct opposition to the Odin. The diabolical precision Kennerton brings a surprising proximity to the provision of Itzhak Perlman, the slightest inflection, changes in the dynamics Odin transcribed. So I will not use the term too often usual "I rediscovered my music" but that all the emotion has seemed more intense than ordinary to me.
Finally on the highest note of the violin, I never felt the slightest hardness. This remains fluid as would an electrostatic. A sensory and emotional experience that does not leave unscathed. "

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new...les-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/90#post_11802452

Moreover, a big advantage for Odin: its high sensitivity of 104 dB / 1mW (35 Ohms), against 85 dB / 1mW (46 Ohms) for Abyss (it is 19 dB more sensitivity).

In theory, Odin requires an amplifier 100-fold less powerful (at 35-50 ohms) that the Abyss; it is much less demanding in amplification, and besides the fact that it costs 2.4 times cheaper than the Abyss (in France), it need amplification (much) less powerful (and expensive) that the Viva Egoista amp (for example).

According to another witness, the speed and impact of Odin in the bass would be similar to that of the Abyss (and higher than that of the LCD-X) ; it would be only slightly less deep than the Abyss and would have a less extensive sound stage compared than the Abyss (but very accurate in placement).

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #124 of 10,023
104 dB / 1mW (35 Ohms) sounds hard to believe for full-size planars... really? Haven't seen such sensitivities outside strictly portable headphones and IEMs. That probably makes them unsuitable for tube amps, since audibility of tube noise is directly related to headphone sensitivity. Mid-90s would have been much better; $2k cans need expensive amps to bring out the best in their sound anyways, and expensive amps can easily provide the needed power.

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #125 of 10,023
  104 dB / 1mW (35 Ohms) sounds hard to believe for full-size planars... really? Haven't seen such sensitivities outside strictly portable headphones and IEMs. That probably makes them unsuitable for tube amps, since audibility of tube noise is directly related to headphone sensitivity. Mid-90s would have been much better; $2k cans need expensive amps to bring out the best in their sound anyways, and expensive amps can easily provide the needed power.

at least not on my cheap Little Dot VI+ I used to give a try with it — and neither on my iBasso that had amped it very well too, at the same level (around 195) that with my sennheiser hd380…

B.r. 
smile.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #126 of 10,023
Not always; according Superfred21 to listen Abyss Vs. Odin, with the amplifier Viva Egoista, when listening to the violin "The Schindle list" Remembrances "BO John Williams"

Not always. Yes, I agree and I just said that I ordered one also because of my own listening and different reviews (#dub, #Superfred21).

But let's face it. When powered correctly, actually, in the whole of performances (and image is not the less), Abyss remains the Reference.
"Intrinsic value" says Kubinski.

The Odin still is a very versatile headphone, competing with LC-X, HE-6, HD800, PS1000e and you're right on your report.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #127 of 10,023
Kennerton i see all your wooden ear cup have been sold out. Are there any plans to restock them? Also i am aware that you sell wooden ear cups for the hd 600/650 but would the wooden ear cups from Kennerton.com be compatible for the hd 650.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #128 of 10,023
Kennerton i see all your wooden ear cup have been sold out. Are there any plans to restock them? Also i am aware that you sell wooden ear cups for the hd 600/650 but would the wooden ear cups from Kennerton.com be compatible for the hd 650.

Yea, they will be restocked in 1-2 months. Also in few days we will launch a sale for remain FA-003 wooden cups.
Sennheiser cups are available in our showroom, but if you are interested you can send a pm or mail request

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #129 of 10,023
Sixth testimony (with some different amps) : Odin versus HD-800 and HE-6 (directly) (and others headphones ; indirectly)
link (in french): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178601967.html#p178601967

Edit (one): Seventh testimony : Odin versus HD-800, LCD-X, JPS Abyss ... (with the Moon Audio HA 430 amp and the Viva Egoista 845 amp)
link (in French): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178607121.html#p178607121

According to these last testimonies, the HD-800, the HE-6 and the LCD-X headphones would be disqualified; the supremacy of the Abyss is questioned; it could even be disqualified if one considers its price.

I bought a Odin and then sold my SR-009.
I will soon tell you if I won with this change.

Edit (two): Last pics of the Kennerton Odin (on HCFR)

Kennerton Odin : Standard version and "old wood" version:

Edit (three): CanJam London 2015 " Some surprises at the event saw the Kennerton Odin in the Viva stand"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779242/can...ons-thread-august-29-30-2015/30#post_11876929
and
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779242/can...ons-thread-august-29-30-2015/60#post_11877855
and
(in french, on HCFR) : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178612964.html#p178612964

Edit (four) : and others pics of this event (CanJam London 2015): Viva stand with the kennerton Odin (and others competitors)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #130 of 10,023
I only had a brief listen to the Odin at Canjam London on Saturday but it left a very positive impression. I undertstand these are pre-release at the moment - are there any known outlets in the UK where they will be available for demo once released?  Whilst I was impressed, I definitely need more head-time with them to decide if they're going to be my next headphone or not. Also, is that 104dB sensitivity figure correct?  Seems awfully sensitive for a planar.  Cheers :)

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #131 of 10,023

Quote:

I only had a brief listen to the Odin at Canjam London on Saturday but it left a very positive impression. I undertstand these are pre-release at the moment - are there any known outlets in the UK where they will be available for demo once released?  Whilst I was impressed, I definitely need more head-time with them to decide if they're going to be my next headphone or not. Also, is that 104dB sensitivity figure correct?  Seems awfully sensitive for a planar.  Cheers :)

The item you tried is the one that Pierre Paya loaned me and that I tried: sensitivity did not seem to me overvalued — for example, it was exactly the same level to amp it that with a (modest) Senn HD380, and far more less than with a HD800.
Also tried it on a small iBasso DX50: level at ~200 was very nice!

B.r.
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #132 of 10,023
The model of the headphones Kennerton Odin ("standard" Wood version) presented in preview in London (at the CanJam London 2015) is the production model that due out mid September 2015 (Nb : 500 pieces (Odin) are planned originally, during a first serie).

I ordered a Odin early August (standard version).

I made the bet that it would be a marked improvement in my Audeze LCD3F (for a significant gain in dynamics in the bass, clarity and for a high definition).
From the testimonys I could gather, this bet would be successful, easily. 
I also made a bet that it could replace my Stax SR-009 headphone (very good headphones, but did not give me as much pleasure as my LCD3F, in direct comparison).

The amplifier that I use for my headphones is a AudioValve Luminare (about 2 x 4 Watt on load 35 Ohms (Transformer mode) and 2 x 3 Watt on load 200 Ohms (OTL mode) (not counting the unusual Stax mode of the Luminare amp (step-up transformer low ratio 1: 6 + bias generator)).

My dream (but not for now) would be to buy later, for my two headphones Planar (Odin and LCD3F), a Viva Egoista 845 amp (blue or yellow "Porsche") which it seems works wonders, as well with the Abyss (but too expensive for my appreciation) than the Odin (and the LCD3F, of course).

Edit (one): Structural comparison: HE-1000 Vs Kennerton Odin

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178616406.html#p178616406

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #133 of 10,023
Kennerton Team - I've PM'd you with a request for info on UK dealers for the Odin
wink.gif

A couple of additional questions please...

1. Are there any sonic differences between the old wood and regular Odin, or is is cosmetic only?
2. Does the Odin really come with a 3.5mm termination only? I suspect this would force 99% of owners to use an adapter unless they bought an aftermarket cable, which isn't the end of the world but also not ideal.  Personally, I'd like to see a 1/4" and maybe even 4-pin XLR terminated cables in the box on a premium product like this (as with the HE-1000), or at least a choice of cable termination at time of purchase (MrSpeakers).

Cheers!  Mark.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #135 of 10,023
  Kennerton Team - I've PM'd you with a request for info on UK dealers for the Odin
wink.gif

A couple of additional questions please...

1. Are there any sonic differences between the old wood and regular Odin, or is is cosmetic only?
2. Does the Odin really come with a 3.5mm termination only? I suspect this would force 99% of owners to use an adapter unless they bought an aftermarket cable, which isn't the end of the world but also not ideal.  Personally, I'd like to see a 1/4" and maybe even 4-pin XLR terminated cables in the box on a premium product like this (as with the HE-1000), or at least a choice of cable termination at time of purchase (MrSpeakers).

Cheers!  Mark.

Dear Mark,

At the moment, we are talking about the distribution with three companies in the UK, but we have not yet made their choice. This is due to the fact that our rule is: in one country should be only one distributor. But, unfortunately, we are in some countries made the wrong choice of distributor and now we are experiencing great difficulties in those markets. On the one hand, the contracts were signed till the end of the year, we can not change distributors. On the other hand, retailers in these countries are doing nothing and are only interested in the margin. If you have ideas with whom we should talk in the UK on this issue - we'll be very grateful.

Are there any sonic differences between the old wood and regular Odin, or is is cosmetic only?

Since Kennerton Odin - is a fully open headphones, the type of wood and the way of finishing plays a role only cosmetic effect

2. Does the Odin really come with a 3.5mm termination only? I suspect this would force 99% of owners to use an adapter unless they bought an aftermarket cable, which is not the end of the world but also not ideal. Personally, I'd like to see a 1/4 "and maybe even 4-pin XLR terminated cables in the box on a premium product like this (as with the HE-1000), or at least a choice of cable termination at time of purchase (MrSpeakers).

In the future, we expect to offer a choice of a wide range of cables made of Litz with different connectors to choose from: 3,5mm with adapter 6.3mm, 6.3mm connector, connector 4-pin XLR.
Unfortunately, there is no universal solution and each user's have different preferences.

Sincerely, Kennerton Team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back