Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #2,401 of 10,023
Hi all.

After the very pleasant to read review wrote by @cleg, both concise and right on the Kennerton Thror: https://porta.fi/kennerton-thror-headphone-review-who-is-better-than-allfather/

Here is a new Youtube's video review of the Kennerton Thror (part 2) by William Murdock:

William Murdock defines the Thror (in his video above) as a very neutral, very clear, very precise, three-dimensional headphones in his soundstage with a good depth; with deep basses in the sub-bass, also very precise and detailed, without exaggeration.
He does not find many flaws for a "neutral" headphones, except for a comfort that is still perfectible, although it does not bother him with its 460 or 470 g, a soundstage not extra-large, but very deep and especially "three-dimensional" in layers.
He considers it as an excellent headphones for the reproduction of Jazz, acoustic and orchestral music.
However, he prefers the Vali for rock, which he considers more dynamic with more presence in the mid-bass, although for my appreciation the Thror also defends very well in this genre.
Otherwise, some tube and transistor amplifiers warm the Thror's sound, tilting it slightly to the warm side of the neutral and / or giving it more bass, which some people will appreciate.

So, with these two headphones (Vali and Thror) you should cover all musical genres, with excellence. :)

But if weight or comfort is a problem for you with these two headphones, well, Kennerton has it all, with the arrival of the Thekk and the new Vali, who take back apparently the headband of the Magni (lighter and more comfortable).
These new headphones Kennerton will probably be less original and luxurious in their presentation, but you will gain comfort, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,402 of 10,023
Hi all.

In search of neutrality.

Meze Empyrean versus Focal Utopia versus Kennerton Thror

19092607242423553816426675.jpg

19092607242523553816426676.jpg

19092607242423553816426674.jpg

19092607242423553816426673.jpg

Adjustment of the Frs curves on the frequency 1000 Hz.
(nb: comparative curves of FR on the Russian measurement site RAA).

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #2,404 of 10,023
Hi all.

Here is the English translation of my last post written in french on the french forum about the new range of Kennerton headphones to come.
Original post here: https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3542#p3542

Kennerton has been able to answer the main criticisms of their headphones, i.e. both concerning the wearing comfort (Odin and Vali) but also, for some, their prices, sometimes considered too expensive, or not accessible enough for some of us.

The new range of Kennerton headphones will therefore consist of:

Kennerton Magni, 440 g closed-back electrodynamic headphones with 50 mm drivers whose mylar membrane is covered (reinforced) with graphene (material 300 times stronger than steel), price 750 Euros TTC (in France with the 20 % VAT french tax) or 690 Euros for the price excluding taxes, on the Kennerton web site, for countries without importers.
Price also identical regardless of the finish of the proposed wood.
Note: there are also alternate pads (short pads) for the Magni (manufactured by Kennerton) that some of you might even prefer to the stock pads (long pads) for a better tonal balance and more true timbre (tone).

19100406455823553816442621.jpg

Kennerton Magni

New Kennerton Odin, an open orthodynamic headphones, incorporating a priori the same 80 mm planar drivers of the old Odin mk2, with new wooden cups (simplified) and also taking the heavy external zinc grids, in chevron, of the Odin mk2, to give more inertia to cups and thus more impact in the bass. New Odin taking back the headband of the Magni (more practical, more comfortable, and lighter than the headband of the old Odin mk2). It should therefore be slightly lighter than the old Odin Mk2, more comfortable too, and probably of a weight close to that of the current Odin Thridi (mk3) (which differs for the latter by a different driver (new membrane), and lightened grids made of composite material).
Price announced for the new Odin, significantly lower than that of the old Odin mk2 and the current Odin Thridi (mk3) (at least for the french price).

19100206462523553816439004.jpg

New Kennerton Odin

New Kennerton Vali, an open electrodynamic headphones, taking a priori the same Tymphany's 50 mm drivers with an ultra-lightweight paper composite diaphragm, with new, simplified wooden cups (with the same design as those of the new Odin), and taking back, like the new Odin, the headband of the Magni (more practical, more comfortable, and lighter than the headband of the current Vali). It should therefore be slightly lighter than the current Vali, and much more comfortable to wear. Moreover, according to Valentin, the sound of the new Vali would be even better compared to the sound of the current Vali (to listen).
Price announced for the new Vali, significantly lower than the current Vali (at least for the french price).

19100406391823553816442620.jpg

New Kennerton Vali

Kennerton Thekk, the Pro version of the Thror (uncompromised open orthodynamic headphones) featuring high-tech drivers of 80 mm (carbon fiber frame) derived from those of the current flagship of the brand, the Thror; it would keep a sound uncompromising, but nevertheless slightly different from the Thror (which Max would even prefer, to the sound of the Thror), with new wooden cups, new external grids (in lightweight aluminum), and taking back the headband of the Magni (more practical, more comfortable, and lighter than the current Thror's headband). The Thekk would be both lighter, more practical and even more comfortable than the Thror, and a price that would be significantly lower than that of the Thror (at least for the french price). Kennerton Thror which remains however the flagship of the brand.

19100406455923553816442623.jpg

Kennerton Thror an Thekk (prototype)

19100406455923553816442622.jpg

Note : my future Kennerton Thekk SN-001 (the Pro version of the Thror) will be wooden in Karelian birch stabilized blue tinted color for the impregnated resin. :)

It now remains to Pierre Paya (French importer of Kennerton products) and Kennerton to confirm the official prices, in Euros, of these new Kennerton headphones in France (price including VAT, with the French tax of 20% included), and internationally (price excluding tax, for countries without importers).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #2,405 of 10,023
Hi all.

The new Odin is officially launched on the Kennerton website.

https://kennerton.com/shop/odin-ash/

Introductory price on the Kennerton website (price excluding tax) with a 10% price reduction for the launch: € 1,665 (instead of € 1,850).
(Nb: The Kennerton Odin Thridi (mk3) maple price is € 2,395 on Kennerton's website)

As announced, this new Odin will be heavy, heavier than the Odin mk3 Thridi: 620-658 g depending on the wood species used (against 580 g for the Odin mk3 Thridi and 680 g for the old Odin mk2).

19100206462523553816439005.jpg

New Odin - Ash wood

19100206462523553816439004.jpg

Kennerton Odin (New Odin)
" The same unique sound so much loved by many! "

EDIT: Why do you have to love the Odin of yesterday and the new Odin of today?
(Answer in french; link: https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3548#p3548)

EDIT bis: and to compare with the new Odin, here is the pic of the new Kennerton Vali, and the comment wrote on Facebook by Valentin (CEO of Kennerton):
" We are very pleased to present the new version of Kennerton Vali!
This is the same unique sound so beloved by many! The sound detail and clarity combined with powerful and pushy bass.
This is the same unique style and design by Kennerton. "

19100307490523553816442259.jpg

EDIT: What will the new Vali bring?
(Answer in french; link: https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3561#p3561)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #2,406 of 10,023
Hi all.

Birth of my future headphone Kennerton Thekk SN-001 (in Karelian birch stabilized with a resin impregnated with blue color).

Touching!

With the following comment from Valentin sent to Pierre, who sent it to me in his turn. " just 2 mins ago i took a picture in my workshop (see it in the attachment).
It is for Eric, you can send him its picture.
After finishing, polishing and wax coating it should be amazing (a bit darker and shining). "

19100410475323553816442695.jpg

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #2,410 of 10,023
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #2,411 of 10,023
Hi all.

Kennerton Magni: Youtube videos.

By William Murdock (in english).

(part1)

(part 2)

By Pierre Paya (in french)

Remark: Kennerton Magni which has been tried here with his stock pads (long pads), and which appears here as definitely better than the Focal Elegia (more expensive in France).
Note: Imho, for my ears, the sound of the Magni is even better with the alternative pads (short pads), with a sound more balanced, softer, more fair and neutral for tone (timbre).
Note bis: the preference for long or short ear pads for sound probably depends on the anatomy of our ears and our musical tastes.

By a russian reviewer (in russian)

Remark: Kennerton Magni which has been tried here (and even preferred) with his alternative short pads...

19100504350723553816444213.jpg

Short and long pads (for the thickness) for the Magni.

For all ears (anatomy) and to get two different sound aesthetics: one or the other ear pads should be better for your ears and should have your preference! :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #2,413 of 10,023
Hi all.

Some news about the new Odin.

19100206462523553816439005.jpg

The new Odin takes again the heavy grids, in Zinc, in chevrons, of the Odin mk1 and mk2, as well as the flexible headband (lightened and simplified) of the Magni; but concerning the drivers of the new Odin, it would not be strictly speaking drivers of the old Odin mk1 then mk2 (reliable) (which are apparently no longer produced), but those of the Odin mk3 (Thridi) with the new high-tech honeycomb membrane (currently equipping the Odin Thridi (mk3) and the Thror), with I still presume the heavy metal frame of the Odin mk1, mk2 and Thridi drivers.
To get the warm and "fat" sound and also the impact of the old Odin mk1 and mk2, I think Kennerton is playing both on the pads, as already announced (use of alternative pads "Odin like" to make sound "Odin like" for the Odin Thridi and Thror), and the conservation of heavy grids in zinc, chevrons, of teh Odin mk1 and mk2, to give more inertia to the drivers and thus impact, following the principle " action reaction".

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=142284&page=112&p=2890302&viewfull=1#post2890302

So, in total, there are now four types of Kennerton planar headphones currently in production, each with its own sound and specificities.

. The Kennerton Odin Thridi (mk3), taking the rigid headband of the Odin mk1 and mk2, the heavy metal frame of the drivers of the Odin mk1 and mk2, the High-tech membrane (honeycomb) of the Thror, the external grids in composite material (100 g lighter than that of the Odin mk1 and mk2, with their own design), and the perforated leather pads (Thridi-specific?).

. The new Odin, taking over the flexible headband of the Magni (cheaper to produce, more intuitive and comfortable, a little lighter than the rigid headband of the old Odin mk1 and mk2, but also the Odin Thridi and Thror), the (heavy) metal frame of the Odin mk1 and mk2 drivers, the Hi-Tech (honeycomb) membrane of the Thror (and Thridi), the heavy grids, in Zinc, in chevrons, of the old Odin mk1 and mk2 (100 g heavier than that of the Odin Thridi (mk3) in composite material), and "special" perforated leather pads to make the new Odin sound like the old Odin, despite the change of the membrane of the drivers (pads specific "Odin mk2 like" specific to the new Odin?).

. The Kennerton Thror (which remains the flagship model of the brand Kennerton), taking the rigid headband of the Odin mk1, mk2, and thridi mk3, differentiating from the Thridi and Odin by a lightened carbon fiber frame (for drivers), and possessing high-tech honeycomb membrane also shared with the Thridi and the new Odin; lightened external grids made of composite material (with a T logo), lightening 200 g the headphones (with also the carbon frame) compared to the Odin mk1 and mk2 (and about 100 g compared to the Odin Thridi which does not have this carbon fiber for the drivers's frame), finally perforated leather pads (specific to the Thror?).

. The Kennerton Thekk (the alternative version "Pro" of Thror), even lighter than the Thror (for identical woods), thanks to its new flexible headband of the Magni (cheaper to produce, more intuitive and more comfortable, a little more lightweight than the rigid headband of the old Odin mk1 and mk2, but also the Odin Thridi and Thror) using Thror derived drivers (a priori also with a lightweight carbon fiber frame and the high-tech membrane (in honeycomb)), but with a slightly different sound setting and a slightly different damping than the Thror (to make it more euphonic than Thror?), with lightened external grids, this time in aluminum alloy (logo and design unknown) , and perforated leather pads (specific to the Thekk?).

Have a good day.

EDIT: weight of Kennerton headphones (without cable) :

Odin mk1 and mk2
: 670-680 g (no longer produced)

New Odin (2019) : 620 g

Odin Thridi (mk3) : 580 g

Vali : 550 g

New Vali (2019) : 500 g

Thror : 470-480 g

Magni : 440 g

Thekk (estimated weight) : 400-420 g

Note : The weight of these Kennerton headphones also depends on the type of wood used for the wood cups, more or less light; stabilized Karelian birch cups are 40 g heavier (by cup) than those made of unstabilized natural birch.

See also (in french): https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3610#p3610

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #2,415 of 10,023
I do sincerely hope that Kennerton retains the "classic" design of the top-of-the-line headphones (the original Odin, Vali, Thror). I'm the fan of that design and personally like it more than the Magni's. The all-metal construction/materials is the big reason. Kennerton (and Fischer Audio)'s plastics always failed me. Almost all of them crack, and the rubberized ones become sticky.

This is the area where it worries me.

DSCF2640.jpg

Look at my Magister. This is the 2nd pair. The 1st pair cracked at similar place, and my local dealer decided to give me a new pair, which also cracked after around two years. When it doesn't crack, it become so sticky that I don't want to touch them (the area around the wooden cup, in case of Magister).

DSCF1598.jpg

Maybe it was supplier issue, but it is issue with most of my Kennerton & Fischer Audio headphones in the past nonetheless. Maybe it's where I live (BKK, Thailand), where it's relatively hot and more humid than many other places. Maybe it is that particular plastic formulae (most of my other "plastic" headphones, like HD800, are doing fine ...).

Just that .... well, I'm a fan of the only-metals-and-woods construction of the existing Odin, Vali, and Thror, and I also like another degree of freedom in cup rotation (the swivel inward/outward). Hope they retain this design and not moving everything in the Magni direction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back