Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #9,811 of 10,023
Hey guys, I’m looking at trying either an LSA HP1 or Diamond. Hoping some kennerton fans here might be able to describe the differences and help me choose one. I do plan on trying the ECL02 pads for improved bass performance since that’s typically what I really like in my sound signature (great bass).

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #9,812 of 10,023
Hey guys, I’m looking at trying either an LSA HP1 or Diamond. Hoping some kennerton fans here might be able to describe the differences and help me choose one. I do plan on trying the ECL02 pads for improved bass performance since that’s typically what I really like in my sound signature (great bass).
I owned both at one point, a couple years ago. I don't remember a whole lot about the differences between them.

From what I remember. The Diamond is more detailed, has better high end, and more neutrally tuned compared to the HP1.
I think the HP1 had more bass just because it was a warmer, overall, tuning.
They were both fantastic headphones. Just been a while since I heard either.

I think they use the same driver as the Wodan, or the Diamond uses a newer version of the Wodan driver. I can't remember off the top of my head.
When I had asked Kennerton about the difference between the Diamond and the HP1, before I bought them. They said the HP1 is similarly tuned to the Wodan and the Diamond is similar to the Thekk.

I would send a message to Underwood and ask them which one has the best bass.

Sorry about not being to helpful.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #9,813 of 10,023
I owned both at one point, a couple years ago. I don't remember a whole lot about the differences between them.

From what I remember. The Diamond is more detailed, has better high end, and more neutrally tuned compared to the HP1.
I think the HP1 had more bass just because it was a warmer, overall, tuning.
They were both fantastic headphones. Just been a while since I heard either.

I think they use the same driver as the Wodan, or the Diamond uses a newer version of the Wodan driver. I can't remember off the top of my head.
When I had asked Kennerton about the difference between the Diamond and the HP1, before I bought them. They said the HP1 is similarly tuned to the Wodan and the Diamond is similar to the Thekk.

I would send a message to Underwood and ask them which one has the best bass.

Sorry about not being to helpful.
This is very helpful actually thank you! I think this sums up what I read about them. I'm just wondering how much more detailed is the diamond vs the hp1 I guess. If the difference isn't big then I'd prefer the HP1 I think due to warmer tuning and bass increase.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #9,814 of 10,023
This is very helpful actually thank you! I think this sums up what I read about them. I'm just wondering how much more detailed is the diamond vs the hp1 I guess. If the difference isn't big then I'd prefer the HP1 I think due to warmer tuning and bass increase.
90% sure this is my old pair of HP1 that just got posted for cheap.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/lsa-hp-1.61919/

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #9,815 of 10,023
I saw the HP-1 on eBay as well yesterday, but they are gone now.
Wodan has almost no bass, so if it is bass you seek you should take the Diamond, if they are really similar to Thekk.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #9,816 of 10,023

I read that it's the same driver as Odin, and I think you got it the other way around.
It is the HP-1 that is like Thekk, at least according to the website: https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-hp-1

"Our first headphone, LSA HP-1 is a typical LSA/Underwood product. It offers superb value coupled with great sonics. We searched the world for a quality phone that could offer at a great price to performance deal and are very excited to present the HP-1. They are a version of a $2,200.00 pair of marvelous Kennerton Odin planar phones, made in Russia. However, with our modifications they sound more like the $2800.00 Thekk."

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #9,817 of 10,023
I read that it's the same driver as Odin, and I think you got it the other way around.
It is the HP-1 that is like Thekk, at least according to the website: https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-hp-1

"Our first headphone, LSA HP-1 is a typical LSA/Underwood product. It offers superb value coupled with great sonics. We searched the world for a quality phone that could offer at a great price to performance deal and are very excited to present the HP-1. They are a version of a $2,200.00 pair of marvelous Kennerton Odin planar phones, made in Russia. However, with our modifications they sound more like the $2800.00 Thekk."

Hello guys.

As owner of a HP-1, I confirm. To simplify, HP-1 is a Thekk with Odin drivers ( steel frame ), and a tuning very close to the Thekk.
In the own words of Valentin ( Kennerton CEO) :

" The difference of HP-1 and Odin:
Actually, HP-1 have more similarities with Thekk than with Odin.
Firstly, they have a very similar construction, the same lightened cups of complex form, which negate the emerging in-cup resonances. While Odin has massive cups of simpler form. Secondly, HP-1 and Thekk has light grills of aluminium alloy covered with anti-resonance coating. Notably, the HP-1 grills maximally open, it reminds of a spider web, for more detailed and "airy" sound with wide scene. Odin has grills of very heavy zink alloy for bassy and warm sound. Thirdly, HP-1 the tuning is completely different due to different acoustic filters.
In short, in common they have only the driver. Nothing more. With Thekk those have more similarities. "

I superimposed the FR curves of my HP-1 ( s/n LSA-016 ) and the first Thekk ( s/n TK-001, thanks to its owner eric65 ).
( Note that the curve of my HP-1 is obviously raw, while the curve of the Thekk is smoothed. )
You can see the HP-1 seems very similar to the Thekk. Except it has a lot more sub-bass ( around +8dB at 20 Hz ) and maybe a little more treble above 8 kHz.

FR LSA HP-1 (LSA-016) & Kennerton Thekk (TK-001).jpg

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #9,818 of 10,023
Do you guys who own the Rognir planar find the "body/weight" of the mids comes forward more with higher quality amps/power ?

Side-by-side using the Rog next to my LCD-3 out of Hugo 2 the mids have significantly more body than Rog with LCD-3..but that may just be a synergy thing with Hugo 2.
Any specific amps that really make the Rog shine that are not too far into silly money pricing ?

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #9,819 of 10,023
Hello guys.

As owner of a HP-1, I confirm. To simplify, HP-1 is a Thekk with Odin drivers ( steel frame ), and a tuning very close to the Thekk.
In the own words of Valentin ( Kennerton CEO) :

" The difference of HP-1 and Odin:
Actually, HP-1 have more similarities with Thekk than with Odin.
Firstly, they have a very similar construction, the same lightened cups of complex form, which negate the emerging in-cup resonances. While Odin has massive cups of simpler form. Secondly, HP-1 and Thekk has light grills of aluminium alloy covered with anti-resonance coating. Notably, the HP-1 grills maximally open, it reminds of a spider web, for more detailed and "airy" sound with wide scene. Odin has grills of very heavy zink alloy for bassy and warm sound. Thirdly, HP-1 the tuning is completely different due to different acoustic filters.
In short, in common they have only the driver. Nothing more. With Thekk those have more similarities. "

I superimposed the FR curves of my HP-1 ( s/n LSA-016 ) and the first Thekk ( s/n TK-001, thanks to its owner eric65 ).
( Note that the curve of my HP-1 is obviously raw, while the curve of the Thekk is smoothed. )
You can see the HP-1 seems very similar to the Thekk. Except it has a lot more sub-bass ( around +8dB at 20 Hz ) and maybe a little more treble above 8 kHz.

FR LSA HP-1 (LSA-016) & Kennerton Thekk (TK-001).jpg
Excellent summary...always wondered about HP-1 and for whatever reason I'd imagine it would have been sub-bass light...one to read more on. Found Odin to lack in dynamics..think it was 2nd revision I had.

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #9,820 of 10,023
Any specific amps that really make the Rog shine that are not too far into silly money pricing ?

This does address the second part of your question, but the AIC10 makes the Rognir soar and is a beautiful combination.

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #9,821 of 10,023
Sell Rognir
Buy ADX5000

Or/And

Sell Hugo 2
Buy Hiby RS8

I would still suggest considering Heartland Dynamic / Heartland Planar, but on your end it will be very expensive I guess.

I've listed options that will improve your midrange position.

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #9,822 of 10,023
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #9,823 of 10,023
The AIC10 makes the Rognir soar and is a beautiful combination.
Are those in production? it's hard to get any info on it or its specs. In any event, its price is way beyond anything I would spend on an HPs amp.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #9,824 of 10,023
Current output amps work remarkably well with Rognir and with Kennerton planars generally. I had a enjoyable few years with Bakoon (Satri Circuit Labs) but they're hard to find and have a limited use outside of planar headphones. I lean toward solid state, and found Mass Kobo works well. However, I recently demoed the new Austrian Audio Full Score One and impressed me greatly - more so than the Composer headphones. Rognir and Full Score was dynamic and satisfying. I have one incoming mid-March. Very reasonably priced, too.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #9,825 of 10,023
Sell Rognir
Buy ADX5000

Or/And

Sell Hugo 2
Buy Hiby RS8

I would still suggest considering Heartland Dynamic / Heartland Planar, but on your end it will be very expensive I guess.

I've listed options that will improve your midrange position.
How'd you reccomend the ADX5000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back