Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 20, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #9,796 of 10,023
I'd say your deduction is correct - am still dialing in on pad versions and it looks like you are spot-on.
Thin perforations (0.5mm) can make the sound denser, but also makes the high frequencies sharper. And if there is also a regular foam, the effect of sharpness is amplified.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #9,797 of 10,023
PS Judging by your photo, I even doubt it's the MF version. It looks like it's just regular foam.
You can just push the pad, and see the way it bounces back and easily know if it's MF or not.

@Lohb You really should contact Kennerton with all these questions, why all the guess works? They will tell you exactly which pads you have, and how to achieve the result you want. They offer professional support, no BS. try it.

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #9,798 of 10,023
You can just push the pad, and see the way it bounces back and easily know if it's MF or not.

@Lohb You really should contact Kennerton with all these questions, why all the guess works?
Just running it by team Kennerton owners first and will check with retailer who sold them to be sure to be sure.

Afrer pushing the pad, I'd say they are ECL-02 foam.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #9,799 of 10,023
I use the ECL-03 MF on my Rognir. Makes a gigantic difference in sound

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #9,800 of 10,023
I use the ECL-03 MF on my Rognir. Makes a gigantic difference in sound
Could you give some snippet impressions on why ? How about treble, is that peak I hear anyway, reduced/levellled into rest of FR ? Are subs elevated more than mid-bass etc (which I prefer) ?

Subs UP
Treble DOWN = Bingo.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #9,801 of 10,023
I see rognir sold at 2.6k when they are 3.2k NEW AND UNDER WARRANTY. They are hard to sell for full price for something that doesn't have an easy RMA. So yeah, time i see a rognir at 1.8k-2.0k then i think they would be sold very easily.
Good idea! Adjusted my Rognir price based on your thoughts.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #9,802 of 10,023
Could you give some snippet impressions on why ? How about treble, is that peak I hear anyway, reduced/levellled into rest of FR ? Are subs elevated more than mid-bass etc (which I prefer) ?

Subs UP
Treble DOWN = Bingo.
Ha! Yes, that’s what I would describe it as.

Subs UP
Treble DOWN = Bingo.

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #9,803 of 10,023

Subs UP
Treble DOWN = Bingo.
Have you received FR measurement curves with your Rögnir? They used to include one.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #9,804 of 10,023
Have you received FR measurement curves with your Rögnir? They used to include one.
I'll have a hunt for that..thought it was just Audeze that did that.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #9,805 of 10,023
Just had a penny drop moment... the tone/layering/and decays are stellar on Rog. Planar......layering really unique wow.

DCA E3 can't get that layering off my identical audio chain even with the waveguide 'metamaterial'.

1-bit DSD upscaling especially excellent with them at low volumes. Like a different can though that was off Hugo 2 days ago.

Just going to tame the treble peak with a foam disc just like T50RP mods as rest of spectrum is spot-on and notch volume up. Maybe pick up pads later.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #9,806 of 10,023
The Stealth???! I've never had a headphone I bought and sold faster than that one - I couldn't hear any bass at all with it and I hated the sound. I liked the TH900 for bass alone, but the treble was peaky.

Have you gone the Audeze LCD route? I think I would describe anything beyond the LCD-4 as contenders in that category. In the Kennertons, I've only heard the Rognir, Rognir Planar, GH40. The Rognir is outstanding.

As you have probably already figured out from my response and the response from fullbass, this hobby is pretty subjective.

Although I really loved the Rognir - I actually ended up preferring Stealth due to the Stealth having slightly better sub-bass and comfort. To be fair though, Stealth needs a very good chain to sound good, while Rognir can work with many more chains. Definitely curious to know what new flagships Kennerton is working on!

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #9,807 of 10,023
The Stealth???! I've never had a headphone I bought and sold faster than that one - I couldn't hear any bass at all with it and I hated the sound. I liked the TH900 for bass alone, but the treble was peaky.
I had a chance to listen to DCA Stealth and other HPs yesterday at home. The DCA Stealth is incredible, great bass, amazing vocals. If I didn't have the Rognir I'd probably get them. They need a very strong amp, and they are very expensive. Rognir is easier to drive and has better bass, but lacks in vocals.

I also tested the Fostex TH909, it does has nice bass and the mids are not bad, but it's not high level sound, it's not well separated and defined.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #9,808 of 10,023
Definitely curious to know what new flagships Kennerton is working on!
I contacted them about it, they said they are working on several new projects, but none will be released in the near future.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #9,809 of 10,023
Measurements of Kennerton headphones (IEC711 rig with IEC60318-4 coupler and artificial pinna):

M21S (2021)

M21S (2021).png

Magni V3

Magni V3.png

Gjallarhorn cal. 40

Gjallarhorn cal. 40.png

Vali Neotheric

Vali Neotheric.png

Gjallarhorn cal. 50 JM

Gjallarhorn cal. 50JM.png

Rognir Dynamic

Rognir Dynamic.png

Rognir (ecl-01mf and ecl-03 pads)

Rognir.png

Thror

Thror.png
I realize this post is almost 2 years old but I just found it and wanted to thank you. I have the Rognir with the ECL-03 pads and I’ve been on the lookout for EQ suggestions. I had boosts at 250hz and between 4k and 5k, and based on your graph I tried a reduction around 2.5k that helped remove some harshness from vocals. If anyone has the Rognir with the ECL-03 pads and wouldn’t mind sharing their EQ profiles, I’d be grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back