Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 10, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #9,136 of 10,023
May 10, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #9,137 of 10,023
Whew such a long thread! Read from around when Rognir Dynamic was announced until the latest post.
Thanks to all the impressions, I just purchased a blue GH50 mk2 directly from JM a few days ago and he just sent me the tracking information.
I fell in love with Fostex biodynamic drivers and currently own a TH909 and Lawton cupped X00. I will be comparing the GH50 mk2 with these 2. The TH909 being supposedly open backs, actually leak very little-- I can listen to moderate volumes without disturbing the sleeping wife.
Super excited. I hope it's what I expected it to be.

May 19, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #9,138 of 10,023
I've had my Rognir Dynamics for a while now. I have a slight problem with them...I don't pick them up over my Stellia very often, and then get to feeling like I should sell them and try something else. Then, I put them on again, love them, and can't bring myself to list them. The detail isn't quite Stellia level, but to my ears they're not far off. They're a more "fun" sound to me then Stellia, a little more full on bass/mid-bass, and a bit more tame on the high end. Plus, I love the way they look (I have the Baltic Sea blue color)

May 19, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #9,139 of 10,023
I've had my Rognir Dynamics for a while now. I have a slight problem with them...I don't pick them up over my Stellia very often, and then get to feeling like I should sell them and try something else. Then, I put them on again, love them, and can't bring myself to list them. The detail isn't quite Stellia level, but to my ears they're not far off. They're a more "fun" sound to me then Stellia, a little more full on bass/mid-bass, and a bit more tame on the high end. Plus, I love the way they look (I have the Baltic Sea blue color)
Are Rognir Dynamic your #2 from your collection?

I had the same experience with D7000, almost sold them here on classifieds until I had like good bye listening session with them and suddenly realized i cannot sell these.
They are excellent. I am actually looking at Rognir Dynamic or Gjallarhorn JM... Can anybody compare these two please please?

Also if you are not 100% satisfied with RD's sound have you tried some EQ cure? I do EQ all my headphones and iems and its like boosting their performance... now I cannot be without.

The Kennertons are something I need to have in my collection... I assume RD would fit my preference quite well. Would love them in Dusk... cant wait!

May 20, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #9,140 of 10,023
Then, I put them on again, love them, and can't bring myself to list them
I had the same situation with Rognir Planar. but still I recently sold them. too fat and unnatural sound for me

May 20, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #9,143 of 10,023
Wait, you sold Stella or Rognir?
Rognir

but this is normal for me
my sound preferences have changed a bit, so the headphone setup has changed
I prefer the sound presentation of he1000se, adx5000, arya, rig iem

I still think that Rognir are special headphones
someone loves them, someone can hate them, but they will not leave anyone indifferent.

May 20, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #9,144 of 10,023
Rognir

but this is normal for me
my sound preferences have changed a bit, so the headphone setup has changed
I prefer the sound presentation of he1000se, adx5000, arya, rig iem

I still think that Rognir are special headphones
someone loves them, someone can hate them, but they will not leave anyone indifferent.
Dang. That's a turnaround. I can see those other headphones you mention offering a contrasting presentation especially in the mids.

For me, Rognir planar remain almost the perfect sounding headphone (though I'd like to see a more premium headband on the next version, if there is one).

May 20, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #9,145 of 10,023
I'd like to see a more premium headband on the next version, if there is one
By the way, the last time I was in the Kennerton workshop, I listened to Thror with an old headband. I thought it was very heavy and uncomfortable, but you know, I was impressed with how premium it looked and felt. And it even sits very comfortably on the head.

Yes, I understand that this headband costs extra money and has more weight, but with top headphones like Thror it looks very convincing and expensive.

By the way, I liked the sound of Thror and it's something close to the sound that I like now.

If you love Rognir, then you must listen to the new dynamic flagship that is about to be released -- Heartland Dynamic

May 20, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #9,146 of 10,023
By the way, the last time I was in the Kennerton workshop, I listened to Thror with an old headband. I thought it was very heavy and uncomfortable, but you know, I was impressed with how premium it looked and felt. And it even sits very comfortably on the head.

Yes, I understand that this headband costs extra money and has more weight, but with top headphones like Thror it looks very convincing and expensive.

By the way, I liked the sound of Thror and it's something close to the sound that I like now.

If you love Rognir, then you must listen to the new dynamic flagship that is about to be released -- Heartland Dynamic
I find the Thror takes a minute or two to adjust. At first, the clamp pressure and headband feel a bit odd but once it adjust to the head, comfort isn't an issue for me. And yes, certainly looks more refined.

Hoping to demo Heartland soon!

May 21, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #9,147 of 10,023
I had the same situation with Rognir Planar. but still I recently sold them. too fat and unnatural sound for me
What type of music do you listen to?

The Rognir are great for Metal, Rap and EDM, but they lake in female vocals and airiness.
They hit hard and give a thrilling experience at the expense for naturalness.

When I want natural, I use the D8000 Pro, usually for Brutus or Theatre of Tragedy. But I go back to the Rognir pretty fast as that thick bass is amazing.

The Rognir are like a battle-axe, and the D8000 Pro are like a rapier.

I was thinking about the Thror or Heartland as a companion to the Rognir, but I have no idea how they compare.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #9,148 of 10,023
@Nostoi I see you own both Rognir and Thror.
When do you reach for each? What can Thror do that Rognir can't?

I currently use the D8000 Pro for when the Rognir feel lacking and I need something more balanced, but the D8000 Pro is a bit too polite sometimes, and I was wondering about the Thror (and heartland) by Kennerton. Can you offer advice?

I mostly listen to Metal, some punk and some Electrocore.

May 21, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #9,149 of 10,023
@Nostoi I see you own both Rognir and Thror.
When do you reach for each? What can Thror do that Rognir can't?

I currently use the D8000 Pro for when the Rognir feel lacking and I need something more balanced, but the D8000 Pro is a bit too polite sometimes, and I was wondering about the Thror (and heartland) by Kennerton. Can you offer advice?

I mostly listen to Metal, some punk and some Electrocore.
Hi. I had the D8000 Pro before converting to Thror. The D8000 Pro was also too laid back for me, too smooth (plus comfort issues).

The Thror and Rognir are very different. Thror is very balanced sounding - quite "reference" or natural tuned - but with a slight sub-bass bump. Basically, they're what I had hoped the Final's would be but were not. Thror has the best imaging/detail/layering of any headphone I've heard or owned. More dynamic sounding than D8000 Pro, though not as dynamic as Rognir. On the Thror, I use them for fusion, classical, jazz, ambient, soundtracks, prog rock, vocals. I would not use Thror for metal (100% not for punk) but they work very well on well-recorded rock. They are not exactly my daily driver, more of a special treat when I want to immerse myself in a vast soundscape.

They can also be driven from a decent DAP, though naturally scale up very well.

Heartland I've not heard, but hope to.

May 21, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #9,150 of 10,023
I am actually looking at Rognir Dynamic or Gjallarhorn JM... Can anybody compare these two please please?
I've had my RD headphones for about a year before I decided to try the JMs, having read reviews here, as I was looking for a punchier presentation. I compared them side by side and found that the JMs had too much bass for my taste, and they also sounded less detailed and had a narrower soundstage. After equalizing my RDs, they delivered a similar slam and punch, without sounding that bloated, and were overall better in my opinion. As a result, I chose to stick with the RDs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back