Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #9,046 of 10,023
Hi all!

I'm looking for a closed back headphone for electronica, 80s/90s house, rock, downtempo, chill out. What could possibly work best, GH40 or a Magni?

Thanks for any ideas.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #9,047 of 10,023
/

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #9,048 of 10,023
Hello everyone, I was just doing a bit of browsing on head-fi since I am in the market for a new headphone. And I came across the kennerton brand especially the gjallarhorn jm edition. Its squarely within my price range and I read some promissing reviews. Was a big fan of the jvc dx1000 back in the day!
But I have a few quastions
1. Is the kennerton.de a legit eu seller/branch of their site?
2. Any comparisons of this headphone to better known ones like the fostex 900, focal radiance or some zmf models (to throw in some woodies)? Was also looking at hifiman arya stealth but would think that the kennerton is a lot more funsounding?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Greetings, Anouk,
I bought the Gjallarhorn GH50 jm from Poland. Link to their store. They are reliable. It was a year ago. The price was about 1100 euros including delivery. You have to write them an email to see if they can deliver them.

https://www.audiomagic.pl/sluchawki...rton-gjallarhorn?q=Kennerton+Gjallarhorn+GH50

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #9,049 of 10,023
Hi Eric,

You were Not tricked! Most headphone enthusiasts know that the Senns you so love (as do I, and many others) have the best tonality of any headphone at any price.

This can be argued, of course, but it is what it is! What Kennerton and others do differently is the presentation. Soundstage, imaging, leading edge of notes, decay, blah...blah...blah.

Tonality is only one aspect of describing sound quality.

Finally, for those that have not been paying attention? Eric has more than 10,000 euro tied up in his dac/amp chain! High impedance headphone LOVE this chain, especially Senns!

Please, Eric, for the love of God...give it a rest. Lol

P.S Highly entertaining nonetheless.
Hi.

For the price of the chain, count currently 10,000 Euros for the Audiomat Maestro Reference dac; 6,000 Euros for the CD drive Audiomat D1 drive + a few thousand Euros for connection cables + 10,000 Euros for the Viva 2A3 tube amp + 3 x 200 Euros ... for my 3 Sennheiser headphones. Everything works very well!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-released.960952/page-5#post-17494388

23040410251023553818152655.jpg

My chain : Kennerton Thror headphones (SN THR 001) (that of my son) + 3 Sennheiser headphones ; Viva 2A3 tubes amp ; dac Audiomat Maestro Reference ; CD Drive Audiomat D1 Drive + cables full Actinote Aria + Panasonic DP-UB9000 Blu-ray drive.

Have a good day.

EDIT:
I translate the small comparison made between my brand new Senn HD 58X headphones (on the right, on the amp, on the photo above) and my son's Kennerton Thror headphones (on the left, on the amp, on the same picture).

" As for my oldest son's Thror (which I gave him), even if it's currently gathering dust at home (because he's listening more and more to his Apple Airpods Pro), well, considering that this planar headphones is built like a tank, and that, barring an accident, it's going to physically last a long time, well, I will continue to listen to it, from time to time, but with a double grimace, already for its acquisition cost (15 times higher than my HD 58X), and also for its wobbly tone (lack of bass, and "weird" sounding voices and string instruments, all this in direct comparison with my HD 58X); however, the Thror, the flagship of the brand, is supposed to be the most "neutral" headphone of the range; its only strong point (for the sound) (and which is probably the only one), compared to the Sennheiser HD 58X, is a better separation and focus of the instruments, of more punctual sound presentation. "

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181129756.html#p181129756

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #9,050 of 10,023
ok

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #9,051 of 10,023
Hi.

For the price of the chain, count currently 10,000 Euros for the Audiomat Maestro Reference dac; 6,000 Euros for the CD drive Audiomat D1 drive + a few thousand Euros for connection cables + 10,000 Euros for the Viva 2A3 tube amp + 3 x 200 Euros ... for my 3 Sennheiser headphones. Everything works very well!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-released.960952/page-5#post-17494388

23040410251023553818152655.jpg

My chain : Kennerton Thror headphones (SN THR 001) (that of my son) + 3 Sennheiser headphones ; Viva 2A3 tubes amp ; dac Audiomat Maestro Reference ; CD Drive Audiomat D1 Drive + cables full Actinote Aria + Panasonic DP-UB9000 Blu-ray drive.

Have a good day.

EDIT:
I translate the small comparison made between my brand new Senn HD 58X headphones (on the right, on the amp, on the photo above) and my son's Kennerton Thror headphones (on the left, on the amp, on the same picture).

" As for my oldest son's Thror (which I gave him), even if it's currently gathering dust at home (because he's listening more and more to his Apple Airpods Pro), well, considering that this planar headphones is built like a tank, and that, barring an accident, it's going to physically last a long time, well, I will continue to listen to it, from time to time, but with a double grimace, already for its acquisition cost (15 times higher than my HD 58X), and also for its wobbly tone (lack of bass, and "weird" sounding voices and string instruments, all this in direct comparison with my HD 58X); however, the Thror, the flagship of the brand, is supposed to be the most "neutral" headphone of the range; its only strong point (for the sound) (and which is probably the only one), compared to the Sennheiser HD 58X, is a better separation and focus of the instruments, of more punctual sound presentation. "

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181129756.html#p181129756
Endgame Dream Rig! Must sound incredible...with any headphone let alone the Senns mentioned. I must confess Eric that when I listen to HD6xx on Bottlehead Crack with a very good dac the sound is fantastic, rivalling my Kennerton Thridi (most expensive headphone I own). I still say the mids on HD Senns are the best I've heard.

To be fair it's unreasonable to compare Senns on your rig with Kennerton flagships on the mostly lesser rigs of folks here. Just my opinion of course. Not wanting to start anything. Lol

Cheers

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #9,053 of 10,023
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #9,054 of 10,023
Hi all!

I'm looking for a closed back headphone for electronica, 80s/90s house, rock, downtempo, chill out. What could possibly work best, GH40 or a Magni?

Thanks for any ideas.
Electronica... same here but different era and genres. Own a Magni which gets less and less headtime due to other HPs I bought since then - D8kp and Clear MG. Would go for a GH-50 JM though.
Would check the website for deals. Maybe for the newly designed model...

Anyhow, don't know about GH40 but I'm sure you should certainly be happy with Magni, always depending on your recent HPs, cause you didn't mention "where you coming from".

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #9,055 of 10,023
Electronica... same here but different era and genres. Own a Magni which gets less and less headtime due to other HPs I bought since then - D8kp and Clear MG. Would go for a GH-50 JM though.
Would check the website for deals. Maybe for the newly designed model...

Anyhow, don't know about GH40 but I'm sure you should certainly be happy with Magni, always depending on your recent HPs, cause you didn't mention "where you coming from".
Shure 1540, was ok, but found it a bit boring, perhaps a touch too warm and bassy, missing a bit of treble sparkle.
Denon AH-D7200, didn't mind it, but wasn't great with music with a lot going on with it. Treble lacking.
Haven't liked any Sennheiser headphones really, HD600 probably the best of the bunch.

Open minded to open or closed tbh. I think my IEMs have performed better than the above mentioned phones. Lime Ears Model X. For an example, it resolves Pink Floyd's The Great Gig in the Sky, a pleasant listen.

Prepared to save for the right decision. Sanctions seem a problem with worldwide delivery. I'm in Busan, South Korea.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #9,056 of 10,023
https://stereo-ru.translate.goog/p/...eativno?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

Looks like Kennerton is working on a new open back dynamic driver headphone with a massive driver in it. And possibly a new Class A amplifier.

"For review, a pre-production sample of new open dynamic headphones with a simply huge driver is presented - as much as 78 mm. The design was asked not to complain, as there are still many changes ahead. But we did not harm, we liked everything. A little aside is a no less attractive headphone amplifier: class A, extremely unusual design and a wooden case. Even one look is enough to fall in love. What we, in fact, did - spring is the time."

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #9,058 of 10,023
Looks like Kennerton is working on a new open back dynamic driver headphone with a massive driver in it. And possibly a new Class A amplifier.
I plan to listen to it today and compare it with the ATH-ADX5000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back