Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 27, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #9,031 of 10,126
Hello everyone, I was just doing a bit of browsing on head-fi since I am in the market for a new headphone. And I came across the kennerton brand especially the gjallarhorn jm edition. Its squarely within my price range and I read some promissing reviews. Was a big fan of the jvc dx1000 back in the day!
But I have a few quastions
1. Is the kennerton.de a legit eu seller/branch of their site?
2. Any comparisons of this headphone to better known ones like the fostex 900, focal radiance or some zmf models (to throw in some woodies)? Was also looking at hifiman arya stealth but would think that the kennerton is a lot more funsounding?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Greetings, Anouk,
Agree with what other people have said.

- Kennerton.de is legit, but prices are whacky. You're much better ordering direct from Kennerton (that's how I got my JM edition)
- I've had quite a few ZMF headphones, and despite admiring the company and the headphones, the tuning isn't for me. Gjallarhorn JM is far more dynamic and impactful with better clarity, IMO. Same also for TH900 - great for an hour or so, but the sucked out mids and peaky treble proved too much.

Mar 27, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #9,033 of 10,126
Agree with what other people have said.

- Kennerton.de is legit, but prices are whacky. You're much better ordering direct from Kennerton (that's how I got my JM edition)
- I've had quite a few ZMF headphones, and despite admiring the company and the headphones, the tuning isn't for me. Gjallarhorn JM is far more dynamic and impactful with better clarity, IMO. Same also for TH900 - great for an hour or so, but the sucked out mids and peaky treble proved too much.
I agree. I found the TH900 to be violently V shaped. Fun for short burst but the sibilant peaky highs really killed it for me. Honestly, the Th900 shouldn't even be on your list. The Denon 9200 is the best variation of the TH900 like design.

Also, that design style isn't very isolating so if you are looking for isolation I wouldn't bother with that design style.

The Denon 9200 is my second favorite closed dynamic behind only the GH50 JM MK2. The Denon has a smaller sound stage but has better details. It is just as fun and dynamic as the GH50 JMMK2 but isn't as warm or bassy as the GH50 JM.

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #9,034 of 10,126
Are rognir dynamic and rognir planner completely different headphones?

Personally, I had a memory that the sound was not good in the rognir planner. So I'm thinking of buying a rognir dynamic. Is it suitable for music that emphasizes midrange and midrange like J-pop?

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #9,035 of 10,126
Mar 30, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #9,036 of 10,126
Are rognir dynamic and rognir planner completely different headphones?

Personally, I had a memory that the sound was not good in the rognir planner. So I'm thinking of buying a rognir dynamic. Is it suitable for music that emphasizes midrange and midrange like J-pop?
Rognir Dynamic are quite good.
But I liked Kennerton Vali Neoteric much more. They are especially marvelous at low and medium frequencies.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #9,037 of 10,126
I see JMAUDIO.SHOP just got in a stabilized version of the Kennerton Heartland.

They are really beautiful.
3DC44CDC-3B95-4493-9064-9D84F9631E94.jpeg
5A8F8AFE-095A-4866-BDED-33FEFCF0C529.jpeg
98C5E399-968E-47AA-8812-AACE148B0698.jpeg

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #9,041 of 10,126
has anyone heard the Focal utopia 2022 /zmf atrium headphones? technically, how much better can it be than a Rognir planar bass edition?

Heard the Focal - frankly speaking don’t think it is better overall. It has both metallic shimmer for the highs sometimes and lacks razor sharpness of planars. The soundstage also not the best one.
Smth like LCD-5 or Susvara would be much proficient.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #9,042 of 10,126
Heard the Focal - frankly speaking don’t think it is better overall. It has both metallic shimmer for the highs sometimes and lacks razor sharpness of planars. The soundstage also not the best one.
Smth like LCD-5 or Susvara would be much proficient.
I didn't really like the LCD-5 when I tried it. It was super shouty. I would recomend either the Thror Novel or the D8000 Pro as a companion to the Rognir.

Apr 8, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #9,043 of 10,126
I didn't really like the LCD-5 when I tried it. It was super shouty. I would recomend either the Thror Novel or the D8000 Pro as a companion to the Rognir.
Agreed. I no longer own the Rögnir but Finals or perhaps a Caldera would be a better companion.

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #9,044 of 10,126
That said, to make my mea culpa, as I was the first of the list to be "tricked" by this Kennerton Thekk headphones at least as the first owner of the Thekk SN 001 headphones); well, without any other serious comparative element with a reasonably fair headphones for the tone (to serve as a "referent" headphone), one can be fooled into finding (via brain formatting) the headphones in question (Thekk) to be very good and as well-balanced at all frequencies; it is only after a direct comparison of my former Kennerton Thekk headphones with the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones, taken as "reference" headphones (a comparison which was quite cruel for the Thekk, it must be said:
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-sedentaires/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-t30117973-435.html), that I (finally) realized that the Thekk had a "small" problem of tone, and that it was, in fine, not so satisfactory.

Before discovering the HD-400 Pro (and the HD-560S), I was content with these tone imperfections (of the Thekk and many other headphones), however (objectively) more than noticeable ...

Source (in the french forum), here: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181117661.html#p181117661
Hi Eric,

You were Not tricked! Most headphone enthusiasts know that the Senns you so love (as do I, and many others) have the best tonality of any headphone at any price.

This can be argued, of course, but it is what it is! What Kennerton and others do differently is the presentation. Soundstage, imaging, leading edge of notes, decay, blah...blah...blah.

Tonality is only one aspect of describing sound quality.

Finally, for those that have not been paying attention? Eric has more than 10,000 euro tied up in his dac/amp chain! High impedance headphone LOVE this chain, especially Senns!

Please, Eric, for the love of God...give it a rest. Lol

P.S Highly entertaining nonetheless.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #9,045 of 10,126
I see JMAUDIO.SHOP just got in a stabilized version of the Kennerton Heartland.

They are really beautiful.
The design seems to me quite rustic and primitive for the cost of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back