Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 10, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #8,192 of 10,023
You could order the gel pads from JM. They have more height/depth so your ears would touch the driver grill less.
Unfortunately I already sold the Magni to a good friend. He liked them arguably even a bit more than me and he got blessed by the headphone Gods in that he has the perfect ear and headshape. He tried over 50 headphones already and didn't have to complain about comfort even once.

I thought I got over the Magni but just can't stop missing its unique sound. The Magni at the time was the maximum i could afford but now I am interested how the other Kennertons sound like.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #8,193 of 10,023
Hello everyone. Which type of Dekoni ear pads are compatible with Rognir headphones? Can anyone tell me the size? Also, which other types of headphones have the same cup size as Rognir? I would like to buy a thick genuine leather cushion with a large inner diameter and depth, which allows my ears to move completely freely and does not touch either the ear cushion or the driver. I look forward to recommendations that correspond to this. exact type or in the form of a link. Audeze size ear cushions would be the best, there is no more comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #8,194 of 10,023
Hello everyone. Which type of Dekoni ear pads are compatible with Rognir headphones? Can anyone tell me the size? Also, which other types of headphones have the same cup size as Rognir? I would like to buy a thick genuine leather cushion with a large inner diameter and depth, which allows my ears to move completely freely and does not touch either the ear cushion or the driver. I look forward to recommendations that correspond to this. exact type or in the form of a link. Audeze size ear cushions would be the best, there is no more comfortable.
You need any 105mm diameter earpads.
Just search with this diameter.

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #8,195 of 10,023
ZMF Ori pads are the right size. @John Massaria. Also sells a couple of pads that work well in the Rognir. https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/ear-pads

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #8,198 of 10,023
Hey guys, anyone have the Rognir and/or Thror that they could compare to the higher end Hifiman headphones (i.e. Susvara, He1000se, etc.)? I'm wanting to trim down my collection and I feel like the Rognir would be best option for me, but was curious how they performed versus those headphones.
I can't speak to this point exactly, but for what it's worth: My best Kennerton is the Thekk, and my best HifiMan is the HE1000SE. I prefer the Thekk. Both have a very detailed and airy and open sound, but I find the SE too bright (I need to give it a lot of EQ to be enjoyable--bass up a bit and treble way down), while the Thekk is better balanced tonally (I still though EQ the bass up a bit and treble down a bit, but not much). I like the HifiMan, but I think the Thekk is really excellent. My only complaint is that all my Kennerton headphones tend to have a slightly "cupped hands" midrange-- it can sound a bit boxy. But it doesn't really bother me, and I only notice it when A/B-ing with other headphones. Otherwise I like the Thekk a lot.

Some say the Thror is technically better, but others prefer the Thekk (or Wodan). YMMV.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #8,199 of 10,023
I can't speak to this point exactly, but for what it's worth: My best Kennerton is the Thekk, and my best HifiMan is the HE1000SE. I prefer the Thekk. Both have a very detailed and airy and open sound, but I find the SE too bright (I need to give it a lot of EQ to be enjoyable--bass up a bit and treble way down), while the Thekk is better balanced tonally (I still though EQ the bass up a bit and treble down a bit, but not much). I like the HifiMan, but I think the Thekk is really excellent. My only complaint is that all my Kennerton headphones tend to have a slightly "cupped hands" midrange-- it can sound a bit boxy. But it doesn't really bother me, and I only notice it when A/B-ing with other headphones. Otherwise I like the Thekk a lot.

Some say the Thror is technically better, but others prefer the Thekk (or Wodan). YMMV.
Thanks! I definitely know what you mean about the "boxy" midrange, at least on my GH 50. I was hoping the Rognir would not have that phenomenon as that's my only complaint with the cans (even with EQ).

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #8,201 of 10,023
Can you elaborate "boxy" midrange?
A midrange which sounds as though it is coming through an aperture - narrowed, not spreading naturally - often with a slight ‘echo’ to it.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #8,204 of 10,023
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #8,205 of 10,023
Does 'compressed' mean the same thing as 'grainy'?
Compressed to my audio knowledge means the opposite of dynamic, i.e. dynamic compression. Maybe there is also another definition of compressed.

Regarding the midrange performance of the Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition and JM2 Edition, while it might be seen as perhaps coming from a narrower window than the prominent bass of this headphone, I just see the midrange as recessed compared to the bass. I have been listening to my Rognir Planars bass-tuned version and there is a stark difference in sonic presentation between the two. The JME2 has much more bass weight and better dynamics, especially bass dynamics. The RP has much greater speed, detail, spaciousness, and transparency and greater immediacy but considerably less bass, especially on bass-shy recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back