Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #6,841 of 10,023
you can now completely control the bass by the open port stuff it with leather or foam or wool or cotton fabric - as a suggestion
Apparently my fingers didn't work well lol.
I'm wondering if 3d printing some gadgets (that fit into the ports and make them partially open) help balance the channels and make the tuning more precise.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #6,842 of 10,023
Apparently my fingers didn't work well lol.
I'm wondering if 3d printing some gadgets (that fit into the ports and make them partially open) help balance the channels and make the tuning more precise.
I just sent a message about tuning it further with a gray dark dense neoprene foam vs the white foam inside the ear pad or trying it with no foam inside the ear pads- all of these have slight tuning differences - the foam just takes up space top seal the ear pad and the headphone ring best - the lambs leather ear pads are still stock when removed- the neoprene can add more seal however - I like to seal as much as possible and the neoprene does that- the black is dense and the white foam (not shown) is lighter in density - both add more physical depth to the ear pad push the users ear away from the driver - and the neoprene ring can be used other headphones such as the Rognir Dynamic or Magni to add more depth to the pad and the separate the users ear (if that makes sense)
614D0838-FDB4-486C-839E-35841538F835.jpeg
4EF3DE7E-6429-448C-8E91-C096662B6657.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #6,844 of 10,023
The noise isolation of the Rognir Dynamic (with original ear pads) is better than perceived by the Denon d9200 or Audeze LCD-XC 2021, this without any uncomfortable clamping force. Perhaps this is a point for someone.

As the listening time increases, I notice possibly the greatest strength of the Dynamic, namely the lack of a real weakness, nothing bothers me, on the contrary, the longer I use the headphones, the less I like to take it off.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #6,845 of 10,023
A question for you all.

I recently bought the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JMs and was wondering how to assess whether or not the metal band needs to be bent which is something that the reviews all suggest as a must.
Out of the box, the headphones fit great so I'm not sure what bending the band will do in terms of fit other than bringing the inner surface of the headphones closer to my ears but the distance isn't that much.

What are your thoughts?
I had the same feeling with my LSA HP2. I use a software equilizer (Boom3D and I activate the "ambiance" mode / you can try the software for free). Maybe my ears got used too, but now they sound great. I come from an hifiman HE500 so was used to a dark tone.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #6,846 of 10,023
The noise isolation of the Rognir Dynamic (with original ear pads) is better than perceived by the Denon d9200 or Audeze LCD-XC 2021, this without any uncomfortable clamping force. Perhaps this is a point for someone.

As the listening time increases, I notice possibly the greatest strength of the Dynamic, namely the lack of a real weakness, nothing bothers me, on the contrary, the longer I use the headphones, the less I like to take it off.
Now there is a comparison I'm keen to hear, D9200 Vs LCD-XC vs Rognir dynamic!

How do they compare for your? I found the treble on the 9200 a bit hot for my liking and really enjoy the XCs except for the weight. How are the dynamics holding up against them?

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #6,847 of 10,023

How do they compare for your? I found the treble on the 9200 a bit hot for my liking and really enjoy the XCs except for the weight. How are the dynamics holding up against them?
Curious if anyone tried swapping the pads between the Denon D9200 vs Rognir Dynamic?

I know w/ Denon D9200 the treble is sometimes a bit aggressive w/ stock pads on certain genre but if you swap to Dekoni DT pads, the bass becomes more prominent and reduces the treble a bit making it less fatiguing and more fun.

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #6,848 of 10,023

What catches your ear at the beginning will bother you later. The striking thing by the Rognir Dynamic is missing, that's a good sign. I considered the Rognir, because it was closed and warm, as a suitable contrast to the LCD-X 2021. After a few days of listening time with the Rognir, yesterday back to the LCD-X: more details in the treble, more sub-bass. The LCD-X uses the frequency ends further, its strengths fall immediately in the ear, but most of the musical notes play between the frequency extremes. The Rognir draws the music with a thicker brush, the representation is with body, details are also required for this, but are less ear-catching. The timbre of the Rognir is nice vs. a touch cool of the Audeze. The stage of the -X is wider, although in order to achieve a grippy illustration for the -X, some crossfeed is helpful, unnecessary with the Rognir, which also does not need EQ. Note: the stage of the XC is more like that of the Rognir Dynamic. There are other differences between the -X and the XC, these are too small to be considered when choosing between the Rognir Dynamic and an -XC, that’s a fundamental question. Both headphones are wearing a justified price tag. If the -XC was too heavy for you, then the Rognir Dynamic could be considered, it is lighter and comfortable with a low clamping force.

The Rognir Dynamic convinces as a lovable musical all-rounder, besides which no further headphones are really required, on top of that as a closed back. The Rognir is like a good wife, not flashy, but always there for your needs, that is not boring, but good life, in this case long term musical enjoyment. The Denon AH-D9200 sounds according to my memory comparatively slim and has a narrow stage, therefore I prefer the Rognir to the Denon. Of course, Denons special feature, the treble range shines and the sub-bass may please, questions of taste, an easy choice for me, especially because of spare parts, such as ear pads are available for the Kennerton. For the Rognir Dynamic I get service and an answer to questions of any kind, directly from the manufacturer.

To round off the picture:

Audeze LCD-XC 2021 vs Denon AH-D9200:
my points go to the LCD-XC, only the timbre goes to the AH-D9200.

Audeze LCD-X(C) vs Rognir Dynamic:
although the Rognir exhausts its technicalities, either of the two Audeze would stay with me, ultimately the better technicalities bring the sonic points, especially since EQ is allowed.

We are spoiled for choice between these audiophile gems, what a luxury.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #6,851 of 10,023
Any more impressions of the GH40?
Huge bass. Intimate soundstage, not bad for closed backs but nothing like a decent set of open backs or the Rognir Dynamics. Very nice clarity, decent separation considering the intimacy of the stage.

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #6,852 of 10,023
Huge bass. Intimate soundstage, not bad for closed backs but nothing like a decent set of open backs or the Rognir Dynamics. Very nice clarity, decent separation considering the intimacy of the stage.
To add to what you say, if you put them on for a quick listen the bass can be dominate. I am surprised the longer they sit on my head that they open up a bit. Meaning, there is more clarity, seperation and a touch more balance to the signature and the bass becomes a lot less dominate and more enjoyable depending on your subjective tastes. I would also say that this would depend on if you put them on fresh or if you switched to them after listening to another headphone.

They are an in-head listen, do not expect holographic qualities. They are fairly easliy driven and scale well. These have really grown on me. They are musical and certainly not reference. They do strike well at their respective price point.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #6,853 of 10,023
I concur what @subguy812 says. Pads on gh40 are very stiff. Foam is very dense. It takes a while for the pressure to normalize and they do infact sound better after a while.

Soundstage is small but very proportionate. I think it's very user dependant how one perceives the staging qualities. I'm used to intimate soundstage of Focal headphones so I have no problems. Imaging is excellent in my opinion.

GH40 is propably the least wonky sounding bass focused headphone out there. I think it is better in macrodynamics than rögnir dynamic, or pretty much anything in the price range. It's not just the bass slam but the ability to kill the notes in an instant and go dead quiet. Rare ability which I did not anticipate.

To my surprise at this early stage I like gh40 better than Rögnir dynamic which so far has failed to impress me. I think such tuning is very difficult to pull off succesfully and it might be that Rögnir does not have the technical competence to do that. Of course thats just me. I think it has to do with my preference for more pronounced upper midrange. It takes VC level technical performance to compensate for perceived lack of midrange clarity.

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #6,854 of 10,023
I concur what @subguy812 says. Pads on gh40 are very stiff. Foam is very dense. It takes a while for the pressure to normalize and they do infact sound better after a while.

Soundstage is small but very proportionate. I think it's very user dependant how one perceives the staging qualities. I'm used to intimate soundstage of Focal headphones so I have no problems. Imaging is excellent in my opinion.

GH40 is propably the least wonky sounding bass focused headphone out there. I think it is better in macrodynamics than rögnir dynamic, or pretty much anything in the price range. It's not just the bass slam but the ability to kill the notes in an instant and go dead quiet. Rare ability which I did not anticipate.

To my surprise at this early stage I like gh40 better than Rögnir dynamic which so far has failed to impress me. I think such tuning is very difficult to pull off succesfully and it might be that Rögnir does not have the technical competence to do that. Of course thats just me. I think it has to do with my preference for more pronounced upper midrange. It takes VC level technical performance to compensate for perceived lack of midrange clarity.
With you on everything you said, except I have logged quite a few hours on the Dynamic and I am impressed by it. Bass has tightened up and while there is certainly a smoothness to the signature I was listening to old school Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green era and I was duly impressed with the mid-range and shocker, the treble.

The staging has already impressed me but today I feel it has completed the signature. It is almost time to cleanse my pallette and begin to compare D9200.

What an exciting deal to get the GH40 as a bonus, exceeded my expectations.

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #6,855 of 10,023
i bought a 2 TB Brennan B2 and am just finishing loading my cd collection of over 1000 cds. Took forever I have about 12 cds left to load. I never realized my garage was holding so many cds! Today while loading Ive been listening to the JME II. I’m not going to discuss the sound just the enjoyment of listening to these ear speakers for hours with no fatigue just wonderful music. If you’re in that 1400.00 range and willing to do the little things to get the sound right they are worth the journey. I upgraded the headband I like the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back