Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #6,646 of 10,023
One way to test is take your fingers and apply pressure to the center of each cup to determine if you detect any changes. That will simulate bending the frame. In terms of muffled midrange, I don’t know mine were ungraded to V2. Prior to upgrade I do not recall being muffled. Then again my amp and Dac are very detailed…
on another note I just received ZMF pads Universe suede to try on my LSA HP Diamonds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #6,647 of 10,023
I’ve never thought of the Gjallarhorn JMs as muffled. For me, they have an upfront and energetic presentation. My other closed backs, the ZMF Verite, are more laid back and less intense (pad rolling makes a huge difference with the Verite and I use suede Autuer pads). There is resonance or internal reflection that can, at times, muddle the midrange but the energy is still there. Perhaps we are talking about the same thing. While I really enjoy the Gjallerhorns they fall short of the Verite in many ways. Personally, with my big ears greater clamp force degraded the comfort but bending the frames a bit did tighten up the base and improve isolation. Did not have much effect above the bass region.
Muffled might be the wrong word. I just feel as if certain notes are distant when they should be more upfront. It's as if they're in the background whilst other notes are more prominent so it makes those "background" notes seem muffled. That's the best way I can describe it but it sounds like we're picking up on something similar.

I don't think I need to bend the frames as the phones fit very comfortably on my head and don't really move. I experimented with pushing the cups closer to my ears as @eugene2 has suggested but I didn't have to push far until the inside of the cups was pushing against my outer ear and I noticed no difference in sound upon doing so. Perhaps I just need to burn them in more, I'm at nearly 50 hours now.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #6,648 of 10,023
The manufacturer's description of the sound capabilities of the Rognir Dynamic as a new flagship with dynamic drivers is quite exciting:
"... key features allow the headphones to generate a rich, vivid and transparent sound with perfectly even imaging distribution".
Admittedly, paper is patient, on the other hand we can have a certain basic trust in Kennerton. I am curious what I actually get, anyway, the headphones look great.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #6,649 of 10,023
Thanks mate ! Happy with your Magnis? Not long ago, I was set on the Radiance which I was aiming at buying while in France for Christmas but then discovered Kennerton on these forums And the Magnis are a much cheaper option.
How do you find the cumfort? I have large ears (measured yesterd at 70cm high 😩) and the round earpad might be an issue for me…..
The Magnis are really fine indeed and I enjoy them a lot. I could do with slightly larger pads, not much, like maybe 2-3mm more but nothing painful or distracting.
They could have a bit more bass for my likings as well but again nothing I could do without. I guess I would need to find a DAC that would put a slight emphasis on that part Of the spectrum. Something between the Magni and the Meze 99 (which are too bassy for me) would be perfect.

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #6,650 of 10,023
A question for you all.

I recently bought the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JMs and was wondering how to assess whether or not the metal band needs to be bent which is something that the reviews all suggest as a must.

I've been burning them in for close to 48 hours now and while I like the sound, it seems as if they are a bit muffled. There is an element of clarity that is lacking and I don't know if that is because they still need time burning-in or if I need to bend the metal band. Essentially all of my music is instrumental (classical compositions, movie and video game soundtracks, etc).

Out of the box, the headphones fit great so I'm not sure what bending the band will do in terms of fit other than bringing the inner surface of the headphones closer to my ears but the distance isn't that much.

What are your thoughts?

Slowly press in headphones while listening to music and see if they would benefit from more bend in band do not pressurize the drivers by pushing to fast

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #6,653 of 10,023
Last thing on Gjallarhorn each head size is different, mine is oblong lol. My buddy that has a more round fatter head, we both heard a distinct difference when applying pressure to the cups. So much so he called it a design flaw along with the microphonic headband. I believe John M. not only applies pressure inward but slightly forward when he bends the band. My friend felt the V2 upgrade made a big difference, and we both felt the added pressure from a proper bend of the band.. The next thing is upgrading the headband. Currently I’m using the Dekoni nuggets and a cover over the headband.

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #6,654 of 10,023
The manufacturer's description of the sound capabilities of the Rognir Dynamic as a new flagship with dynamic drivers is quite exciting:
"... key features allow the headphones to generate a rich, vivid and transparent sound with perfectly even imaging distribution".
Admittedly, paper is patient, on the other hand we can have a certain basic trust in Kennerton. I am curious what I actually get, anyway, the headphones look great.
I will prefer your impressions when you receive them... I think will be more natural... :relieved:

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #6,655 of 10,023
Last thing on Gjallarhorn each head size is different, mine is oblong lol. My buddy that has a more round fatter head, we both heard a distinct difference when applying pressure to the cups. So much so he called it a design flaw along with the microphonic headband. I believe John M. not only applies pressure inward but slightly forward when he bends the band. My friend felt the V2 upgrade made a big difference, and we both felt the added pressure from a proper bend of the band.. The next thing is upgrading the headband. Currently I’m using the Dekoni nuggets and a cover over the headband.
I do notice a difference when I swivel the headband forward. Meaning, when I first put them on, the headband tends to sit towards the back of my head and if I swivel the headband forward to have it sit more towards the center of my head, I do notice a difference in sound. But I'm fairly certain at this point that pushing the cups closer to my ears produces no difference in sound and I'm doing this slowly, I'm not mashing them in.

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #6,656 of 10,023
Concerning the Gjallarhorn. No doubt there will be much disagreement, but I have some negative impressions from my experience with the LSA HP-2, which has received several rave reviews and is claimed to be a slightly modified version of the Gjallarhorn. To me, it had a pervasive subtle smeared overbright glaze over the sound that significantly reduced its transparency and resolution, in addition to its soundstage. This was in comparison with the Sennheiser HD800S and HiFiMan HE1000se. Of course pricewise this is not a fair comparison, but I was taking it as an absolute comparison regardless of price, since some of the reviews at least imply that the HP-2 can be validly put up against some of the flagships. I was disappointed. To confirm this comparison, in a lower pricerange than the HP-2 I found that the Linsoul Gold Planar GL2000 also greatly bettered the HP-2.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #6,657 of 10,023
Old pic… but merry Christmas my friends
CEAE4ADA-3355-451C-9EB0-2756ADF02BC4.jpeg

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #6,658 of 10,023
Dec 25, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #6,659 of 10,023
Dec 25, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #6,660 of 10,023
I’m drinking Hibiki yes! Love Christmas no work! Listening to my Swan M5a speakers not the best but good enough!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back