Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #5,491 of 10,059
Hard to make a suggestion without knowing your use cases. If you are looking for a technically great HP, I would also add T+A Solitaire P-SE in the list - P would be even better but as I know it is quite expensive outside of EU. I personally don't like Utopia (without EQ) as it has too forward upper mids. I guess P-SE could be good compromise between the Utopia and Empy.

Rögnir is an excellent HP, but if you are not specifically looking for a closed back, then I would rather enjoy a more natural sound stage with an open back. I didn't like the Verite Open, so it is unlikely that VC would be better. D9200 is great, but again, it is closed back. Rögnir is a more open and natural sounding HP.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually a huge closed-back enthusiast; I enjoy listening to closed headphones more than open ones. This is largely due to my preference in music - EDM. More than 2/3 of my music collection consists of dance music (e.g. Hard Trance, Hard Dance, Happy Hardcore, Gabber); closed cans perform a better job win presenting a solid, textured, and robust bassline, IMO. 1980s Rock and Pop, and a smattering of J-Pop comprises the rest of my music library.

To put things into context, I am currently on a quest to own a top-end headphone, whether closed or open. Since its inception, the Rögnir has been a fascinating prospect. However, I am not particularly against owning an open headphone (this would be my first, in fact). Hence, after rambling interminably, I guess the pertinent question should be this - If the Rögnir sounds remarkably like an open-back headphone, would I be better served getting a top-end open can instead?

Thanks again.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #5,492 of 10,059
Hard to make a suggestion without knowing your use cases. If you are looking for a technically great HP, I would also add T+A Solitaire P-SE in the list - P would be even better but as I know it is quite expensive outside of EU. I personally don't like Utopia (without EQ) as it has too forward upper mids. I guess P-SE could be good compromise between the Utopia and Empy.

Rögnir is an excellent HP, but if you are not specifically looking for a closed back, then I would rather enjoy a more natural sound stage with an open back. I didn't like the Verite Open, so it is unlikely that VC would be better. D9200 is great, but again, it is closed back. Rögnir is a more open and natural sounding HP.
Verite C has a more neutral tuning than the VO...its not just a closed back VO...people that didn't like the VO prefer the VC...so dont write it off yet

People complained the VO was too colored so feedback was taken and applied to the VC.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #5,493 of 10,059
I recently got a Kennerton Wodan and I think that it might just be what you are are looking for. High detail, speed and fun without any treble harshness.
Thank you. How are cymbals handled and can you speak to instrument separation and imaging? Lastly, wide, narrow or in the middle from a sound stage perspective. As wide as an Arya not necessary but medium would be optimal.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #5,494 of 10,059
Thank you. How are cymbals handled and can you speak to instrument separation and imaging? Lastly, wide, narrow or in the middle from a sound stage perspective. As wide as an Arya not necessary but medium would be optimal.
Cymbals sound great. Im an amateur drummer and drums are probably the most important thing for me on a headphone. Hi-hats, crashes, rides, bells etc all sound really crisp and never shrill.

Instrument separation and imaging are great IMO with a very pleasant holographic sound.
Soundstage is wide and natural, with good depth and layering. IMHO Soundstage is one of the strongest points of this hp because it adapts really well to every genre and can sound wide with orchestral music, and cozy and intimate with club jazz recordings for example.
I had problems before with headphones with very wide soundstage like the hd800 because they can sound distant with some stuff.

Forgot to tell you that the LSA HP Diamond is most likely a Wodan version with cosmetic changes and you could save some money and get the same quality, specially if you are in the USA.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5,495 of 10,059
Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually a huge closed-back enthusiast; I enjoy listening to closed headphones more than open ones. This is largely due to my preference in music - EDM. More than 2/3 of my music collection consists of dance music (e.g. Hard Trance, Hard Dance, Happy Hardcore, Gabber); closed cans perform a better job win presenting a solid, textured, and robust bassline, IMO. 1980s Rock and Pop, and a smattering of J-Pop comprises the rest of my music library.

To put things into context, I am currently on a quest to own a top-end headphone, whether closed or open. Since its inception, the Rögnir has been a fascinating prospect. However, I am not particularly against owning an open headphone (this would be my first, in fact). Hence, after rambling interminably, I guess the pertinent question should be this - If the Rögnir sounds remarkably like an open-back headphone, would I be better served getting a top-end open can instead?

Thanks again.
EDM is quickly becoming one of my favorite genres on the Rognir. Open/Closed aside, I think you will love the Rognir for EDM.

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #5,496 of 10,059
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again.
Do you have the chance to audition any of the headphones you mentioned, or any other TOTL ones? Maybe it is easier to make comments taking them as reference. What kind of an amp are you using? Do you have the chance to EQ? Did you try the TH900? I guess TH900 would be very very good for EDM.

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #5,497 of 10,059
Forgot you tell you that the LSA HP Daimond is most likely a Wodan version with cosmetic changes and you could save some money and get the same quality, specially if you are in the USA.
I thought LSA put in their page that it is $1999 shipped worldwide not limited to USA for the Diamond?

There should be slighting tuning/cosmetic differences between the Wodan & Diamond but close enough.
Kennerton said it would be suicidal for a brand to make the same exact headphones at a cheaper price for another company. Who would buy their model then?

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #5,498 of 10,059
I thought LSA put in their page that it is $1999 shipped worldwide not limited to USA for the Diamond?

There should be slighting tuning/cosmetic differences between the Wodan & Diamond but close enough.
Kennerton said it would be suicidal for a brand to make the same exact headphones at a cheaper price for another company. Who would buy their model then?
I said it would be better to get it in the USA because you don't have to pay custom fees there.

I have experience with LSA Headphones and their as good as my other Kennertons. The LSA HP1 is the best planar I have tried below 2k.
I don't think that Kennerton are doing anythin bad for their brand. They build these for LSA with the same standards of sound quality but I think that the main difference is in the wood work.
I have a good friend here who has the Diamonds. We shared some thoughts and it looks like they are pretty much the same headphones, obviously there could be minor sound differences because the cosmetic changes, but Im sure that both are great.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #5,499 of 10,059
I ordered the Brainwavz "Memory Foam Earpads - XL - Perforated" (mainly for Thekk) and "GEL Gaming Earpads - XL - Micro Suede" (mainly for Rögnir) and I will try them once I receive hopefully in 2 weeks (from UK).

After two weeks, I can confirm that the Thekk default tonality has become more appealing than my initial experience. So much that the initial measurement based EQ setting sound off and now I have a more subtle EQ settings. Maybe master Raskolnikov is right, men can get used to anything, but I don't think it is just getting used to the signature.

I don't feel any lack of bass, especially paired with HA200, as its loudness functionality (which also exists on RME ADI-2) compansates the bass very well (medium setting, -50 dB). Compared to HEKse or Solitaire P, the drivers are closer to the ear and they are also smaller. Also the cavity is smaller. That makes the instruments closer to each other and the separation is not as good, but it is not technically worse. There is more depth than just 3D room. I wonder how it will sound with the 65mm opening of the Brainwavz pads.

Compared to HEKse, there is more mid-bass and isolating the bass you might think HEKse bass is clearer (maybe it is slightly faster), but I think it is due to the less pronounced mid-bass. If I equalize it a bit, they sound of very similar quality. I did my comparisions with one of my favorite bass players, Carles Benavent with his unique playing with pick rather than fingers (probably only jazz bassist I know that uses pick), which creates sharper attacks, fast runs with his quite raw / unprocessed sounding hollow body bass. I am not a bass player, but I really like his sound and playing, many times like guitar. But not just the bass instrument, the lower keys of piano also sound very convincing with weight and rich sound. It is an excellent ecording, really. And a lot of fun to listen to with Thekk.

or you can check the live version:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #5,500 of 10,059
I ordered the Brainwavz "Memory Foam Earpads - XL - Perforated" (mainly for Thekk) and "GEL Gaming Earpads - XL - Micro Suede" (mainly for Rögnir) and I will try them once I receive hopefully in 2 weeks (from UK).

After two weeks, I can confirm that the Thekk default tonality has become more appealing than my initial experience. So much that the initial measurement based EQ setting sound off and now I have a more subtle EQ settings. Maybe master Raskolnikov is right, men can get used to anything, but I don't think it is just getting used to the signature.

I don't feel any lack of bass, especially paired with HA200, as its loudness functionality (which also exists on RME ADI-2) compansates the bass very well (medium setting, -50 dB). Compared to HEKse or Solitaire P, the drivers are closer to the ear and they are also smaller. Also the cavity is smaller. That makes the instruments closer to each other and the separation is not as good, but it is not technically worse. There is more depth than just 3D room. I wonder how it will sound with the 65mm opening of the Brainwavz pads.

Compared to HEKse, there is more mid-bass and isolating the bass you might think HEKse bass is clearer (maybe it is slightly faster), but I think it is due to the less pronounced mid-bass. If I equalize it a bit, they sound of very similar quality. I did my comparisions with one of my favorite bass players, Carles Benavent with his unique playing with pick rather than fingers (probably only jazz bassist I know that uses pick), which creates sharper attacks, fast runs with his quite raw / unprocessed sounding hollow body bass. I am not a bass player, but I really like his sound and playing, many times like guitar. But not just the bass instrument, the lower keys of piano also sound very convincing with weight and rich sound. It is an excellent ecording, really. And a lot of fun to listen to with Thekk.

or you can check the live version:

Really interesting. Id love to try the Thekk in the future, looks like a pretty fun and musical headphone. Looking forward for the pad roll thoughts.

I swear I told you this before but man, you got a good taste in music. Carles Benavent is my favourite bass player.
Im spanish and had the luck of watch him live a few times and I even had a quick chat with him one time in the backstag of one of his concerts with Jorge Pardo and Tino di Geraldo. Hes a genius.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #5,501 of 10,059
Hello,
I have received my Arya since some days because i wanted something more spacious than the LSA hp1, and i dont know which one i prefer .
they are so different...
But for the vocal, for the intimate sound, the lsa hp1 is so much better.

I will try to EQ the Arya to see if i can change this, because sometimes i feel the vocal too far away.

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #5,502 of 10,059
Really interesting. Id love to try the Thekk in the future, looks like a pretty fun and musical headphone. Looking forward for the pad roll thoughts.

I swear I told you this before but man, you got a good taste in music. Carles Benavent is my favourite bass player.
Im spanish and had the luck of watch him live a few times and I even had a quick chat with him one time in the backstag of one of his concerts with Jorge Pardo and Tino di Geraldo. Hes a genius.
Thanks man. :) He is really a unique musician, with his own playing and sound. I wish I can see him live one day, soon. I came to know him mainly from Paco de Lucia, but of course never seen them live together. But I saw Paco in Istanbul years ago (I am Turkish) and the bass player was Alain Perez (from Cuba), whose music I also very much like. His relation to bass is different, but still an amazing musician. I also listen to his music regularly, very playful and uplifting. How else can you open a salsa album with Tchaikovsky? :darthsmile:

or harpsichord in this type of music :darthsmile:

There is a lot to talk about there and I love the music of the whole Mediterranean region, from Turkey to Lebanon to North Africa to Balkans to Spain to Portugal. A lot of great musicians and great music.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #5,503 of 10,059
Thanks man. :) He is really a unique musician, with his own playing and sound. I wish I can see him live one day, soon. I came to know him mainly from Paco de Lucia, but of course never seen them live together. But I saw Paco in Istanbul years ago (I am Turkish) and the bass player was Alain Perez (from Cuba), whose music I also very much like. His relation to bass is different, but still an amazing musician. I also listen to his music regularly, very playful and uplifting. How else can you open a salsa album with Tchaikovsky? :darthsmile:

or harpsichord in this type of music :darthsmile:

There is a lot to talk about there and I love the music of the whole Mediterranean region, from Turkey to Lebanon to North Africa to Balkans to Spain to Portugal. A lot of great musicians and great music.

That's amazing, what I can say about Paco... He was just the best and luckilly I saw him twice live before he sadly left us :frowning2:

Man, so funny because I've been listening a lot to Alain Pérez latelly, specially that album, which is really good.
I discovered him too because he was with Paco. The guy is out of this world. Beast with the bass and gotta love how he sings. There's nothing he can't do. Hes also involved with many flamenco guitar player and singers here in Spain.

Will pm you soon to send you some recommendations like these.
Have a nice day!

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #5,504 of 10,059
Do you have the chance to audition any of the headphones you mentioned, or any other TOTL ones? Maybe it is easier to make comments taking them as reference. What kind of an amp are you using? Do you have the chance to EQ? Did you try the TH900? I guess TH900 would be very very good for EDM.
Yes, I have actually auditioned a wide variety of headphones, including the aforementioned Utopia, Empyrean, Vérité Closed, AH-D9200, and MDR-Z1R. Additionally, I own the TH900 Mk2; it is a gem of a headphone for EDM, indeed.

However, the Rögnir piques my interest in its capacity as a top-end closed-back headphone. Most of my headphones are colored in a variety of ways, and whilst I greatly enjoy the subtle, and sometimes, apparent touches of nuance and shade that paint a uniquely musical tone, I am also constantly on the lookout for something different (or something new, for that matter). At this juncture, the Rögnir presents itself as a great example of a closed headphone with summit-level technical prowess.

I appreciate your efforts in shaping my opinions and impression of this headphone. Alas, I think the only way I could ever satisfy my curiosity for the Rögnir is via a live audition.

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #5,505 of 10,059
More impressions for Thekk... I think, after a slight EQ adjustment Thekk (together with D8KP) is the most versatile HP I have listened to. It can pretty much take anything. I have been listening to Aydin Esen albums whole day, who is my favorite and versatile keys player and great improvisor (Rick Beato has a video about him I will add below. After listening to Aydin, Keith Jarrett sounds more like an overrated ball of ego to me.) I wanted to add another piece (All of a Sudden), but somehow YT video is somehow not loading. The whole Anadolu album sounds spectacular! Crisp and airy cymbals with no exaggeration anywhere in the sound, weighty, clean and powerfull bass, wonderful depth. The album recording itself is actually great, and Thekk (with my EQ adjustments) can depict that perfectly.

Rick Beato about Aydin Esen. Check 21:50 for performance with Vinnie Colaiuta...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back