Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 5, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #5,431 of 10,026
For anyone using EQ, here are the Harman 2018 target EQ (parametric and fixed band) settings for most Kennerton (also many other) headphones:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/referenceaudioanalyzer

Check the main GitHub page for more information about how to use these settings:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Here is what the generated PEQ settings look like for Thekk:

1625493352845.png

So my previous suggestion of reducing the midrange by 4 dB was spot on. I changed the left-most filter to low-shelf and lowered it as the bass was toooo much, then added some air via a slight high shelf. The setting was also too bright for me. So I changed it to this:

1625504548275.png

But of course, you might also find this too thin or bright or bassy. It is just how I like it.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #5,432 of 10,026
Hi guys, first of all, Id like to apologise because Im not good at comparisons and english is not my 1st language.

So I've spent like 4 hours last night and 3 today making some comparisons between the Wodans and the LSA HP-1 and man, that's a tough one because they are clearly siblings.

These are pretty much the same headphones in terms of build and comfort, same weight as well, Wodan is 480grs and LSA HP1 is 485 grs.
Surprisingly, I find the Wodan sturdier, that might be because of the full wood cups. Comfort is almost the same but I feel that the HP1s got slightly a bit more of clamping force, but both have a very relaxed fit.

Long story short, The Wodan improves the LSA HP1 in pretty much every technical aspect, resolution, detail, speed etc... Keep in mind these are subtle differences, nothing major.

Soundstage has similar width, but it feels deeper in the Wodan. Wodan got an airier sound with better instrument separation, while the HP 1 blends things a bit more and It could get a bit muddy with some fast stuff like death or black metal. It doesn't sound bad by any means, but it feels muddier when you compare it to the Wodan.

Wodan is more neutral, while the HP1, even with the ECL 01 (stock pads) feels warmer, bassier and thicker overall.
So far I think I prefer the Wodans with the stock pads. I switched to the ECL02 pads and they get a tad warmer and adds a few db of bass, but they didn't change the sound (for the better) as much as they do with the HP1.

IMG_20210702_185335.jpg

So Wodans got better bass quality, it's tighter and detailed. But it has a bit less quantity than the HP1.
Both are even in terms of dynamics althought the HP1 might give the impression of being more dynamic mostly because of bass presence, specially midbass which adds some extra punch.

Mids are the stronger point of those 2 hps. They are very sweet and forward and they bring the best out of voices, specially female ones. Mids are thicker and sound closer in the HP1.

Highs are the most different aspect between these hps. The Wodan is brighter and got more treble extension that the HP1, which feels darker and laid back in comparison. For me, Wodan got perfect highs with no sibilance or harshness.

Needles to say that both the HP1 and the Wodan are really efficient and easy to drive.
EDIT: On my first impressions, I said that the Wodan needed more volume to sound full compared to the HP1, but this was because of the Hp1 being slightly easier to drive. After matching volume properly with an db meter, I can say that these 2 sound great and don't sacrifice dynamics even at low volume levels.

I said before that It was a tough one because both are really good headphones with the same approach, musicality without sacrificing the technical abilities. It pretty much depends of your tastes(and budget). If you lean towards a more neutral and analytic sound, Wodan is your bet; If you prefer a warmer and relaxed sound with more bass emphasis, get the HP-1 with the ECL 02 pads.

The Wodan are amazing and still need to spend way more time with them, but so far, Im leaning towards the HP1. Maybe because Im used to them, but they got something really charming in their sound which I prefer, and I don't mind them being a bit dark in the treble and loosing that extra clarity compared to the Wodan. The Hp1 sounding fuller at lower volume levels is also a huge point for me because Im a low volume listener.

EDIT: After spending more time with them, I actually think that Im leaning toward the sound of the Wodan, but the LSA HP-1 is amazing and a better value for the money.

PD: Feel free to pm if you have any question regarding these 2.

thank you for this interesting comparison :)
I was thinking to take a Wodan, you helped me :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #5,434 of 10,026
Sadly, I won't be able to audition the Rögnir, as my local supplier won't be securing a demo unit.

This headphone remains at the top of my to-try-might-buy list, though. Hence, are there any users out there who are willing to help a lost soul with some queries? :)

Currently, I'm looking at purchasing a high-end headphone, open or closed. The current candidates are the Focal Utopia and the Meze Empyrean; both of these headphones excel at certain areas, but I'm leaning toward the Meze flagship, thanks to its lusher tone, and its better-textured bass. For the Rögnir owners out there, could you comment on your experiences with this headphone vis-à-vis the Utopia and/or the Empyrean? For that matter, any comparison with a top-end closed-back headphone would be similarly appreciated (e.g. MDR-Z1R, Vérité Closed, AH-D9200, et al).

Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #5,436 of 10,026
So do you think it's possible to listen to it in quite office environment?
The risk is that you enjoy the music so much that your productivity plummets and that you get canned…😳

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #5,438 of 10,026
The risk is that you enjoy the music so much that your productivity plummets and that you get canned…😳
I could never listen to music and do anything resembling a modicum of productive work. I'd be too engrossed with my music to do anything else.

Unlike the majority, or probably, all, of my colleagues, music isn't a distraction; it's the main event.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #5,439 of 10,026
After HT2018 EQ, Thekk has become a spectacular headphone. I didn't use the exact same measurement based settings, but rather used it as a base according to my own taste. It has excellent dynamics, great stage and separation (which gets lost with the original tuning), great detailed planar bass with a strong slam. EQ just brought the true potential of Thekk. Rögnir is not in the database, but I will check if I can generate one myself.
Just as a joke, I would like send this video - what being against EQ sounds like to me. :) But, just a joke. Peace. :beerchug::v:

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #5,440 of 10,026
After HT2018 EQ, Thekk has become a spectacular headphone. I didn't use the exact same measurement based settings, but rather used it as a base according to my own taste. It has excellent dynamics, great stage and separation (which gets lost with the original tuning), great detailed planar bass with a strong slam. EQ just brought the true potential of Thekk. Rögnir is not in the database, but I will check if I can generate one myself.
Just as a joke, I would like send this video - what being against EQ sounds like to me. :) But, just a joke. Peace. :beerchug::v:

That Video was gold

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #5,442 of 10,026
My very slightly used Rögnir is up for grabs in the classifieds. Need to replace them with open backs due to needing to hear my little boys in the evening, when they are in need of me.

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #5,444 of 10,026
I would also like to know if the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM edition leaks sound. I need it for the office if not I'd have to get a different closed back. Most likely the aeon noire but I'm really interested in getting the Gjallarhorn.
very isolating if worn properly- they also sound best when they fit tighter than stock for me and many others - there is very little sound leakage

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #5,445 of 10,026
DSC09868-0.jpg

In 2007, Nassim Taleb wrote a book called ‘The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable’, in which he introduced the concept of a ‘Black Swan’ event. He describes it as an event that was unpredictable before, but became completely rationally explicable in hindsight, and also triggered some significant consequences.

Why am I telling this to you?

It’s no secret that all Kennerton headphones have a strictly subjective setting, and the manufacturer themselves have repeatedly stated that they try not to focus on the measurement graphs, but to use their own hearing and subjective understanding as reference for the way different items should sound. I’d say, such an approach is a viable one, since it allowed Kennerton to gather a community of loyal fans around their headphones.

And that is why the release of the M12S 2021 edition was a complete surprise for me personally. Below I will try to explain why I absolutely fell in love with these headphones and think they’re one of the best among all the current company’s models.

Read full review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back