Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #1,516 of 10,081
Since kennerton tror have weight reduce benefit from carbon material, why not use carbon material for odin but still with same odin driver, then odin can be much lighter just like tror?

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #1,517 of 10,081
Since kennerton tror have weight reduce benefit from carbon material, why not use carbon material for odin but still with same odin driver, then odin can be much lighter just like tror?

Hi,

Good question.

in my humble opinion, a lighter version of the Odin, sounding like the Odin (with a warmer tone than the Tror, even if less accurate) is quite possible, lightening the external grids of the Odin (use aluminum grids versus zinc) and the driver's frame; but that will have a price; for what price?

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #1,519 of 10,081
Because:
1) This element is part of a magnetic circuit and affects the sound. We do not want to change the sounding of Odin.
2) Carbon is more expensive than steel.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #1,520 of 10,081
Hi,

Good question.

in my humble opinion, a lighter version of the Odin, sounding like the Odin (with a warmer tone than the Tror, even if less accurate) is quite possible, lightening the external grids of the Odin (use aluminum grids versus zinc) and the driver's frame; but that will have a price; for what price?

They already have done the R&D with tror, i think it can be applied on odin with reasonable cost.. Lighter odin should increasing the demand for odin, people who have interesting with odin before but stay away because of the heavy weight would come close. I think it would be a win win solution for company and customer.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,521 of 10,081
Because:
1) This element is part of a magnetic circuit and affects the sound. We do not want to change the sounding of Odin.
2) Carbon is more expensive than steel.

They can make some prototype and see how it sound, if it sound good then why not? If tror can take benefit from the carbon, perhaps odin also can. I know carbon is more expensive, but for that small amount of carbon part that should not impact to much with the price. Beside company will take benefit with people who can afford tror price but have problem with odin weight. These guys even are not much visible, but I'm pretty sure they are quite a few.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #1,522 of 10,081
They can make some prototype and see how it sound, if it sound good then why not? If tror can take benefit from the carbon, perhaps odin also can.
"They" = I am
hi.gif

Sound with carbon is good, but it will be already another sound. It will not be an Odin anymore)))

So... Odin will stay Odin, and for another sound we creating Thror now. We not plan to change Odiin's sound signsture (so we will not change the driver materials), but we hope to reduce a weight (with new grid) in future.
But first we will release a Thror.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #1,523 of 10,081
"They" = I am
hi.gif

Sound with carbon is good, but it will be already another sound. It will not be an Odin anymore)))

So... Odin will stay Odin, and for another sound we creating Thror now. We not plan to change Odiin's sound signsture (so we will not change the driver materials), but we hope to reduce a weight (with new grid) in future.
Ups... So I am talking with the man behind odin and thror... Sorry for not recognizing you :ksc75smile:
So you guys have a plan in reducing odin weight in the future, that sound really promising...:beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #1,524 of 10,081
"They" = I am
hi.gif

So... Odin will stay Odin, and for another sound we creating Thror now. We not plan to change Odin's sound signature (so we will not change the driver materials), but we hope to reduce a weight (with new grid) in future.

Good idea to keep the sound of the Odin as it is, ie distinct from that of the TROR / THROR which has a sound very different (less warm) from that of the Odin. :)

Indeed, the black grid of the Odin currently made of a zinc alloy could be replaced by an aluminum model that will be about 2.5 times lighter. About 50g instead of 120g.
Note: weight reduction of 120-50 g = 70 g, for 1 grid or for both grids of the Odin?
Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...cases-t30059943-6525.html#5EpFvFTxsSVIzmVX.99

Otherwise, that is TROR or THROR the name finally chosen for the future Kennerton flagship planar headphone? :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,526 of 10,081
I like the weight of the Odin as it is! I have no comfort issues whatsoever. And I actually love the weight-- the heftiness and solidity. It's a refreshing alternative to what a lot of other headphone companies are trying to do...

Good evening, Andrew.

Canadians are strong guys, like the Russians; The weight of a winter coat or a winter hat, or a heavy audio headphones do not afraid them, .... as well as, for a musician, the weight of a massive bass guitar, a guarantee of solidity. :)

Personally, being neither Russian nor Canadian, although I could, as a child, have followed my parents in Quebec if my father had been appointed professor-researcher in this beautiful country, well, I do not fear the weight of the Odin headphone.
What is important to me, above all, is the very pleasant and addictive sound of the Odin, but also the beauty, solidity and durability of the object.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,528 of 10,081
Hello, I have just ordered in France a Kennerton Tror headphone, wooden Bog Oak (for the moment the only wood species available); the official price in France is now known: 3.600 Euros (all taxes included) (i.e 3000 Euros excluding tax, or about 3.525 dollars USD excluding tax with the conversion 1 euro = 1.175 dollars) + order also the new custom cable Kennerton in Litz wire, optional (available separately on the Kennerton website).

I hope to receive it before the end of the year! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back