Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 4, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #8,911 of 10,067
Lots of stock placed in graphs, too much IMO. It is definitely only part of the story. If a graph could tell you tonality, impact, emotion and quality not just quantity there would be a helluva lot less blind purchasing going on.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #8,912 of 10,067
Lots of stock placed in graphs, too much IMO. It is definitely only part of the story. If a graph could tell you tonality, impact, emotion and quality not just quantity there would be a helluva lot less blind purchasing going on.

Hi.

The answer to your questions, perhaps in image (by analogy to the sound), question raised on the main French headphones forum (HCFR) to these two posts.

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181105870.html#p181105870

and

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181105978.html#p181105978

(Note: use google translate for translation for non French speakers).

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #8,913 of 10,067
Here below, the measurement of my former Thekk headphones ; FR mesurement made by Kennerton
All FRs of Kennerton planar headphones are similar.
We can say that this is a typical sound setup of this manufacturer.

The high frequencies are slightly reduced, but this does not affect either the fidelity of the sound pattern or the number of details that can be heard in it.

Look at the pictures below!

I took these charts not from Kennerton, but from an independent resource Reference Audio Analyzer ( https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/about.php#gsc.tab=0 ) , which has advanced measuring equipment and specializes in measurements of this kind.

No terrible falls and canyons!
It seems that the authors of the reviews and graphs above either had an unsuccessful copy of the headphones, or something was wrong with their measurement methodology.

Attachments

• АЧХ Kennerton Odin (незав).jpg
    АЧХ Kennerton Odin (незав).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
  • АЧХ Kennerton Rognir (незав).jpg
    АЧХ Kennerton Rognir (незав).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • АЧХ Kennerton Thekk (незав).jpg
    АЧХ Kennerton Thekk (незав).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
  • АЧХ Kennerton Thror (незав).jpg
    АЧХ Kennerton Thror (незав).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • АЧХ Kennerton Wodan (незав).jpg
    АЧХ Kennerton Wodan (незав).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • АЧХ Хартленд (независимый).jpg
    АЧХ Хартленд (независимый).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #8,914 of 10,067
I think the entire point of my post was missed. Graphs are just a tiny tiny part of what we do. You must depend on your ears for all of the other reasons I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #8,915 of 10,067
Yea for me the whole point of my post when showing the graphs was just to compare pad differences. I think for my particular Rognir Plannar I own it did not come with the memory foam type of pad. I believe it is a simpler one. This might have to do with what my measurements look like. Also on that note, I performed the measurements on the MiniDSP rig which is just a poor man's rig. The snapshot I took was a zoomed in version of the measurement. If I was to not zoom in, then yea I can make it look more "flat", but again my point was to show the differences in pad changes. I will attach below the actual measurement of that came with the headphone:

20230304_082022.jpg

And here is the OG pad measurement done on my rig:
Rognir OG pads measurement.png

Anyway... hope that clears up a few things

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #8,916 of 10,067
All FRs of Kennerton planar headphones are similar.
We can say that this is a typical sound setup of this manufacturer.

The high frequencies are slightly reduced, but this does not affect either the fidelity of the sound pattern or the number of details that can be heard in it.

Hi.

Well, so precisely, the comparative listening of the Kennerton Thekk versus Sennheiser HD 400 Pro (note : see the comparative FR curve at the end of the previous page) is very cruel for the Thekk.

The level of reproduced sound detail and speed of sound is similar between these two headphones; but the fidelity of the sound, for the respect of the tone (of the timbre) is much better with the Sennheiser HD 400 pro headphones versus Kennerton Thekk.

Comparatively the voice of the Metal femal singer (Floor Jansen) of the band Nightwish is distorted and muffled in the high-medium (comparatively absent) with the Kennerton Thekk.
Let's not forget that Floor is a Soprano femal singer (for the voice tessiture); with the Thekk, this vocal tessiture is disguised as a meezo-soprano voice, with a deeper sound (than the original voice); the same is true for the reproduction of the electric guitar, whose high frequencies are attenuated with the Thekk (versus HD-400). It lacks life.

Otherwise, the macrodynamics of the two headphones (Thekk and HD -400 Pro) are similar; the HD-400 pro has more sub-bass than the Thekk, and you can hear it too.

As already said, I prefer listening to the HD-400 pro to Thekk, which I find much more faithful (to the sense of Hi-Fi, high fidelity), starting with respect for the tonality (of the tone) , and this in direct comparison of listening to the two headphones.

Note ; type of music listened to for the comparison of these two headphones: Genre Symphonic Metal: live concert by Nightwish : Vehicle of Spirit (Wembley Arena London and Ratina Stadion Tampere (Finland)) on blu-ray (uncompressed PCM soundtrack).

EDIT: The soprano voice of the Metal femal singer (Floor Jansen) of the band Nightwish (example below) ; touching ...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #8,917 of 10,067
Well, so precisely, the comparative listening of the Kennerton Thekk versus Sennheiser HD 400 Pro (note : see the comparative FR curve at the end of the previous page) is very cruel for the Thekk.

The level of reproduced sound detail and speed of sound is similar between these two headphones
Do you want to say the same about the comparison HD400 Pro и HD800?
Since Thekk is in no way inferior in speed and detail to HD800.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #8,918 of 10,067
Do you want to say the same about the comparison HD400 Pro и HD800?
Since Thekk is in no way inferior in speed and detail to HD800.

That's what you say.

I say that the Thekk is a bit more fine than the Odin mk2, but that the level of perceived detail is very similar to that of the HD-560S and its sister-ship, the HD 400 Pro.

If we compare all these headphones to the Sennheiser HD 800 (which I also owned); the HD 800 is both more fine and more resolved (in sound details) than the Kennerton headphones (Odin and Thekk) and also its little brother from Sennheiser (the Hd-560 S and HD-400 Pro), but these last two Sennheiser headphones, less high-end (and much cheaper), are also (much) more balanced for the tonality (and timbre) than all the other headphones mentioned.
The HD 800 (my copy) was particularly unbalanced in the tonality, with a patent lack of bass and a very clear excess of treble at 6 KHz (piercing treble); to compensate for the lack of bass we push the sound louder, and then, the treble (6 KHz) kills my ears; it's a pity for a headphone otherwise very good on all the other audio criteria.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #8,919 of 10,067
If we compare all these headphones to the Sennheiser HD 800 (which I also owned); the HD 800 is both more fine and more resolved (in sound details) than the Kennerton headphones (Odin and Thekk) and also its little brother from Sennheiser (the Hd-560 S and HD-400 Pro),
The Thekk is in no way inferior in detail to the HD800 I own.
They are superior to the HD800 not only in tonal balance, but also in depth of scene.

but these last two Sennheiser headphones, less high-end (and much cheaper)
Tell me about the positioning of the instruments in the virtual scene layers of the HD400 Pro and how they compare to the HD800 on this parameter.

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #8,920 of 10,067
The Thekk is in no way inferior in detail to the HD800 I own.
They are superior to the HD800 not only in tonal balance, but also in depth of scene.

Crinacle, a well-known expert in his ranking of headphones, both on the criteria of Tonality (respect of the tone based on the FR curve) and also the criteria of Technicality (accuracy, speed, distortion) is not of the same opinion as you, and his opinion is in fact closer to my appreciation.

According to this double ranking of Crinacle (criteria of Tone and Technicality of the headphones), the Sennheiser HD-800 is classified Tone grade B- and Technical Grade S.
(note: Grade S > A > B > C > D)

The Kennerton Thror (which I owned just like the Thekk), which shares the same driver as the Thekk, but with a different tone setting, and which is subjectively of the same technical grade as the Thekk, but a little more accurate in tone than the Thekk, even if it shares the same lack of sub-bass as the Thekk ; well, the Thror is rated by Crinacle Tone grade B+ (so not as good as the Tone grade A+ of a good copy of the HD560S, but better than the Tone grade B- of the HD-800).
The Kennerton Thror is also rated by Crinacle Technical grade B ; note: the Thekk will not do better than the Thror (and will be classified at most Technical grade B); the HD-800 being classified very clearly above the Thror/Thek for the technicality grade (accuracy, speed, distortion . ...) with an excellent Technical grade S.

As for the HD-560S (and I presume its sister-ship, the HD-400 Pro which shares the same driver as the HD-560S), for the good copies (because there can, alas, exist a variability of quality, and in particular of the precision of the FR from one HD-560S headphone to another) (*) and well, in addition to an excellent Tone grade A+ for a good copy of the HD-560S (just below the S grade, but higher than the B+ and B- grades).
The Technical grade of this Sennheiser HD-560S (a good copy) is B, the same Technical grade (B) as the Kennerton Thror/Thekk, as I told you. CQFD ("that which was to be demonstrated.")

(*) https://crinacle.com/2020/11/06/sennheiser-hd560s-review-the-evolved-500/

Tell me about the positioning of the instruments in the virtual scene layers of the HD400 Pro and how they compare to the HD800 on this parameter.

The sound stage of the Sennheiser HD-560s / HD-400 Pro headphones is excellent, more spacious than that of the HD-600 and HD-650, but less spacious than the HD-800, but a tad artificial with a catherdral effect (about the HD-800 soundstage).

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #8,921 of 10,067

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #8,922 of 10,067
The sound stage of the Sennheiser HD-560s / HD-400 Pro headphones is excellent
To my ears, the 600 and even more 500 series of Sennheiser today are much inferior in sound even to modern in-ear headphones for the same price.
They run out of high and low frequencies too early and the musicality of the middle frequencies in no way compensates for this.

6xx models of Sennheiser are very popular models from twenty years ago.
Today it's good to watch movies in them - they have rather poor high frequencies and there will be no hiss on bad recordings.
:wink:

They are deeply and dramatically behind even Vali Neoteric, not to mention the top Kennerton models.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #8,923 of 10,067
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #8,924 of 10,067
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/real/ = Fake news !
For proof, the comments are unchanged, but the rankings have been grossly modified: take the example of the Hifiman Arya, Sennheiser HD-800, Sennheiser HD-600 ...

and the initial review of the Sennheiser Hd-560S written by Crinacle (on a good copy of this headphone)
https://crinacle.com/2020/11/06/sennheiser-hd560s-review-the-evolved-500/ (not a fake news).

Ridiculous !

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #8,925 of 10,067
For proof, the comments are unchanged, but the rankings have been grossly modified
This is the 2021 ranking, there are changes in positions, but I do not see a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back